How does UNT’s QB situation shake out?

Harry

Andrew McNulty throws a pass during North Texas' spring game at Apogee Stadium. McNulty will compete with Josh Greer and Dajon Williams for the starting job in fall practice.

It seems like we have been here before when it comes to UNT football.

Lets turn the clock back a little.

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/06/summer-football-questions-series-part-ii-how-does-unts-qb-situation-shake-out.html/#sthash.YCOm4JuN.dpuf

Anytime someone says we are going to miss DT, they are pretty much saying the qbs we have are going to suck. To miss DT, that means there will be lots of turnovers, possibly for TDs the other way, and more ints than TDs. Pretty much predicting these guys downfall and saying they are below average. Not even ready for a D1 football field.

im going to give them more credit.

• Upvote 5

I had a class this past semester with McNulty and he seemed like a solid guy. I'm honestly rooting for him to do well and thought he looked the best in the spring game. People forget that he's actually a pretty good scrambler too. Had like 1500 yards rushing his senior year. Greer looks like your prototypical pocket passer and played well too. I think ultimately it comes between those two this year with Dajon and Means still developing. I have a bad feeling Dajon might be another Berglund. Lots of hype and talent, but doesn't translate to the field

• Upvote 5

Spring game 2014 looked a lot better than 2013 from a qb standpoint. If these guys can build on that, it seems like we should have a true qb comp, and a true winner and solid backup.

To envision a season where we would miss DT, would mean we are worse than average at qb.

Greer was a JUCO brought in by Chico. If he is worse than DT, then the whole pickup was a bust. Even though he has 3 years, I would still expect a JUCO signee to be average. If McNulty cant get the job done, then it should his last shot. At some point Chico has to do better picking and developing qbs if these guys cant cut it.

If Greer or McNulty have us missing DT, then it better be a real short leash and we better see dajon or means so we can start thier development. That would be the only senario where poor qb play is acceptable because we know there should be some upside as the season progresses and in the future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Spring game 2014 looked a lot better than 2013 from a qb standpoint. If these guys can build on that, it seems like we should have a true qb comp, and a true winner and solid backup.

To envision a season where we would miss DT, would mean we are worse than average at qb.

Greer was a JUCO brought in by Chico. If he is worse than DT, then the whole pickup was a bust. Even though he has 3 years, I would still expect a JUCO signee to be average. If McNulty cant get the job done, then it should his last shot. At some point Chico has to do better picking and developing qbs if these guys cant cut it.

If Greer or McNulty have us missing DT, then it better be a real short leash and we better see dajon or means so we can start thier development. That would be the only senario where poor qb play is acceptable because we know there should be some upside as the season progresses and in the future.

Wow. Just dismiss a QB that was the bowl game MVP and among the career leaders in multiple statistical categories.

Always amazes me how people think the back up, or in this case the back up's back up, will be better than a bowl MVP QB.

TD/Int ratio will be far worse this year with McNulty as a starter and Greer is a complete unknown, yet you already rate them as even with a career leader in stats and a bowl MVP?

Mark my words. You will be missing DT by mid season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

Wow. Just dismiss a QB that was the bowl game MVP and among the career leaders in multiple statistical categories.

Always amazes me how people think the back up, or in this case the back up's back up, will be better than a bowl MVP QB.

TD/Int ratio will be far worse this year with McNulty as a starter and Greer is a complete unknown, yet you already rate them as even with a career leader in stats and a bowl MVP?

Who is expecting "better" than DT? I will settle for average at this point. You are saying our int/td ratio is going to be worse than last year? That means our qb (or OC) doesnt belong an a D1 football field.

• Upvote 2

DT had a great bowl game. That doesn't mean he was a great QB. If you look at his career stats he was nothing more than an average/mediocre D1 QB. If our coaches can't get a QB in here to match DT's production then we have some serious recruiting issues.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I always get confused if I typed in gomeangreen.com or ehmeangreen.com

I'm excited for all these guys to work hard and earn the starting spot. Ya know who is starting vs. Texas? The best man for the job. The guy who puts in a lot of work and grinds over the summer. When they have some down time, they are watching film. This competition should bring out the best in all, and they will push each other to get better. This is the best case scenario in my mind. No one is being handed anything, go get it.

Shoot, a year ago it was the same story. Majority didn't even want DT in there for his senior year. Why don't y'all quit doubting and being so pessimistic?

Derek proved a lot of y'all wrong and some of you still can't admit it and appreciate what he did.

• Upvote 7

If McNulty is the starter, it will be worse.

The sad part is, I have to take your word for it. Im not debating that. Im saying, if that's the case, he isnt a D1 qb. And if we are rolling out guys who shouldnt be playing D1 football, thats a big problem.

McNulty is a jr. you either have it or you dont. We tried a juco with berklund and Greer. If McNulty starts and he is that bad, that means chico missed on Greer too.

picking up players who cant beat out average qbs

is an issue with the recruitment, the playcalling, or development. It may be a little of all three. If DT is our ceiling, then moves need to be made.

I dont expect DT HOD bowl game output, but at least a qb capable of getting wins against the bottom feeders of cusa. If McNulty, greer, etc can go 7-5, I would not miss DT considering they would return for another year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I see nothing wrong with the fans wanting a qb better than DT this time last year. DT was an average QB, and fans wanted to see if we could upgrade. Berglund did not pan out, and we were stuck with the average QB. He had some above average moments though and did a good job and led us to a great season.

What some are saying, last year at this time, at least we had average. We may not even have average to fall back on this season.

Well, if we are rebuilding, we better have means or dajon in there. I can live with 6-6 knowing we have our qb of the future getting reps.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

100% agree with everything gomg2013 has said. DT was an avg QB. Yes, he did great things for UNT. Won us a bowl game, played some very big games, and put up some great numbers......at UNT. We've been so deprived of QB talent that I think we're overstating how good he was. He stats in this day and age were middle of the pack compared to all other qbs. His td/int ratio was awful every season. I'll be fine if next years QB puts up equal numbers to DT but I hope for more.

• Upvote 3

100% agree with everything gomg2013 has said. DT was an avg QB. Yes, he did great things for UNT. Won us a bowl game, played some very big games, and put up some great numbers......at UNT. We've been so deprived of QB talent that I think we're overstating how good he was. He stats in this day and age were middle of the pack compared to all other qbs. His td/int ratio was awful every season. I'll be fine if next years QB puts up equal numbers to DT but I hope for more.

What is the basis for this hope?

Hope itself?

You want a better QB, but will be fine if they just put up the same horrible numbers as DT?

You do realize that QBs are a product of the system. Our system calls for a bus driver.

I really question whether Soza would have ever seen the field at UNT. Not the system QB that this head coach wants.

And that's fine. As long as you win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

What is the basis for this hope?

Hope itself?

You want a better QB, but will be fine if they just put up the same horrible numbers as DT?

You do realize that QBs are a product of the system. Our system calls for a bus driver.

I really question whether Soza would have ever seen the field at UNT. Not the system QB that this head coach wants.

And that's fine. As long as you win.

Soza wouldn't have seen the field here and Johnny Manziel wouldn't have seen the field here. Sumlin played him because of his potential, not necessarily because he earned it in practice. Just as Berglund and it looks like Dajon may not see the field here. Edited by BillySee58

If DT was merely an average QB, then 95% of North Texas QBs over the years were god awful.

Pretty much. Especially in the last 15-20 years when we've seen an immense development in the passing game.

But I agree with H-Town and GOMG. He had some good games, was a great leader, and a great representative of our school. But if we're missing him that means we'll be missing his production.

He had some good nonconference games, but he had just 8 tds against 10 ints in conference play, and 2 pick sixes in games we lost by 9 points combined. If we're missing that production then we'll have something noticeably worse at qb. Noticeably worse than that would suck, like GOMG said. It really is hard to break down DTs stats without sounding ungrateful. But we have to be able to replace his production.

Edited by BillySee58

My Theory:

What if DW is the no.1 in the minds of Mac and Chico, but they don't want to show their hand to UT? They have him fake in injury to miss the Spring Game, and then throughout Fall practice, the coaches continue to say he is 3rd on the depth chart until they finally select him as the starter the day before the UT game. Giving UT little time to prepare, and catching them on their heels. BOOM!

• Upvote 2

My Theory:

What if DW is the no.1 in the minds of Mac and Chico, but they don't want to show their hand to UT? They have him fake in injury to miss the Spring Game, and then throughout Fall practice, the coaches continue to say he is 3rd on the depth chart until they finally select him as the starter the day before the UT game. Giving UT little time to prepare, and catching them on their heels. BOOM!

Seems this kind of smokescreen would certainly affect his confidence as well as the confidence that his teammates have in him.

I just don't think that is McCarney's style.

• Upvote 2

#TeamDajon

Dajon will get another look this Fall. Will he be ready is the question. This coaching staff will not let you on the field if you dont have proper technique and dont know your stuff. Period. Does not matter how much athleticism you have.

Hopefully these guys get it. You are not going to be able to learn on the go. Dajon (and others) think they will eventually play just because they are better athletes.