Game-By-Game Predictions for SMU's 2014 Season

Harry

9/6 – at North Texas: WIN

North Texas took a significant step forward under Dan McCarney with nine wins in 2013, but lose a ton of experience and production. The Mean Green won’t be a pushover, but SMU should be able to come away with the win.

Read more: http://www.faniq.com/blog/SMU-Football-GameByGame-Predictions-for-the-Mustangs-2014-Season-Blog-76907

What else is Mac going to say? "Well, I haven't recruited real well, so next year is gonna be a challenge?"

Like I said earlier, this will be a telling year for this program. Can we replace what we lost? Hopefully so, but far from a given.

We will beat SMU in Denton

I think so, too. Not because I think we are going to be great, but I just think we are better than them and are playing them at home. Their program took a pretty big drop back last year, while ours took a big step forward. All things being equal, playing at home at Apogee, I expect us to win that one.

I stand by previous statements that this game is a must-win for UNT.

A must-win for what? To obtain bowl eligibility? Considering we have games against LaTech, Nicholls State, UAB, Southern Miss, UTEP, and FIU--all likely easier opponents than SMU, most much easier than SMU--I'd have a hard time saying that.

Just looking at those predictions objectively and as unbiased as I can possibly be (I hate dirty schmoo with a fiery, burning passion), I can't find a lot to disagree with. SMU is in for trouble most of next year unless Jones pulls a rabbit out of his hat. Overall, they've recruited better than we have during the past 4-5 years. They should have more talent, and they certainly pay their coaches on a different level than we do. However, I'm not predicting a win/loss in this game until the week of the game. Too many question marks, for both teams, at this point.

A must win it is. You never want to lose to a nearby school in this close proximity, ever.

For bowl eligibility, but really to get to 7 wins. FAU sat at home with 6 last year.

Perhaps more importantly, for recruiting purposes. When you go head-to-head for recruits with a school, it sure helps if you beat them on the field. This game is quite important in that sense.

I think we're using the term "must-win" a little unconventionally. "Must-win" is typically used of a game absolutely essential (as in, it's not possible without it) to reach bowl eligibility, to win conference, or, in the case of pro teams, to make the playoffs. For example, our game against UTSA last year was a must-win for winning C-USA West.

As far as reaching 7 wins, you might be right. I would think FAU at home would provide a comparable win opportunity.

And as far as the win for recruiting purposes. . . . We're playing SMU at least 4 straight seasons, and odds are unlikely that we will win them all. I agree that the series (and each game) could have an impact on recruiting, but I would hardly think that losing 1 out of 4 would be a killer.

I do think it's an important game, and one I very much want to win. I'm just uncertain that it qualifies as a "must-win."

Kick them while they are down. Who's to say we will have a shot the next 3 years? This year we most certainly have a shot to beat them. Kick them while they are down and maybe, just maybe, they stay down. To me, in my personal opinion, this is a must win football game.

• Upvote 1

It's (bleepin) SMbooo, of course it's a must win! Not for bowl eligibility, not for conference title, not even for recruiting. It's a must win because those pompous burgles deserve a good pantsing and it will make us all feel better.

Losing and hearing the aftermath is unthinkable

Whoop there it is. I thought you knew.

• 1 month later...

Ryan they went 5-7 last year

we went 9-4 with a bowl win last year. The year before we won just 4 games.

the year before they won 7 games including a bowl

the year before that they won 8 including a bowl (against a TD coached Pitt team)

While SMU is not playing up to the level they were two years ago .... there isn't much of a reason (outside of JJ) for them to think that they won't bounce back and be competitive in all G5 games

Likely gonna be looking for the first win after playing Baylor. We get an immediate green rematch and I figure they will be p***ed about losing. Gonna be a drag out war methinks. I feel like SMU might try the run more at the beginning just to pound the ground and set up some passes.

• Downvote 1

Likely gonna be looking for the first win after playing Baylor. We get an immediate green rematch and I figure they will be p***ed about losing. Gonna be a drag out war methinks. I feel like SMU might try the run more at the beginning just to pound the ground and set up some passes.

There ain't no "likely". Baylor is going to take you to the woodshed, might even make you pick out a switch first. We're all going to enjoy it too. I only hope that there's some of SMBoo's hide left when Baylor gets done so there'll be something to show the world when our boys pants ya.

That said, welcome to the board! I don't hate you, just your cheatin' school

• Upvote 1