UT: The best-case quarterback scenario isn't happening

Harry

Do you know something the rest of us don't? I was under the impression that Greer was still in the running.

The post-spring's depth chart is public that was handed to Brett Vito who included it in his article not too long ago. Here is the link:

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/files/2014/04/SpringDepthChart1.pdf

I consider McNulty the starter since he is above Greer even though there is an "or". Greer didn't outplay McNulty in the spring game but had a good performance. McNulty does have an edge with his experience at the D1 level, knowledge of the offense, and has had more reps in practice.

As I stated earlier, it is McNulty's job to lose in August when practices resume and competition continues.Whoever comes out as the starter will be well-deserved but at this moment I'm going with McNulty until his name is behind Greer or Dajon on the depth chart regardless of "or".

Edited by mccox2

He is, but IMHO Means has better potential. If Means continues to develop, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it a very close three way race this fall.

Thanks for the insight. I was very impressed with Means' highlight video. Coach Canales did specifically say that Means was taken out of the competition for the QB job. I suppose he could get back in it if he has an incredible first few days of fall camp.

The post-spring's depth chart is public that was handed to Brett Vito who included it in his article not too long ago. Here is the link:

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/files/2014/04/SpringDepthChart1.pdf

I consider McNulty the starter since he is above Greer even though there is an "or". Greer didn't outplay McNulty in the spring game but had a good performance. McNulty does have an edge with his experience at the D1 level, knowledge of the offense, and has had more reps in practice.

As I stated earlier, it is McNulty's job to lose in August when practices resume and competition continues.Whoever comes out as the starter will be well-deserved but at this moment I'm going with McNulty until his name is behind Greer or Dajon on the depth chart regardless of "or".

Ah, okay. Yes, I saw the depth chart as well. But when the coaches have given every impression--at least publicly--that Greer is very much in the competition, I'll go with that rather than speculate based upon which name appears prior to a correlative conjunction.

Thanks for the insight. I was very impressed with Means' highlight video. Coach Canales did specifically say that Means was taken out of the competition for the QB job. I suppose he could get back in it if he has an incredible first few days of fall camp.

Ah, okay. Yes, I saw the depth chart as well. But when the coaches have given every impression--at least publicly--that Greer is very much in the competition, I'll go with that rather than speculate based upon which name appears prior to a correlative conjunction.

Fair enough. Either way it'll be a win-win. Whoever is on the field by the Texas game will give UNT the best chance to win.

I agree that we do have to make plays and take risks down the field in order to have a chance to beat Texas. Dajon played well against Idaho (1-11 overall last year) during clean up time after Thompson gave Idaho a clinic. ONE game against Idaho didn't tell me a whole lot except that he does have potential. The game and UT's defense will be 3-4x faster than the snaps and throws he made against Idaho. I'm not taking anything away from him and I think he'll be really effective down the road but those same play making abilities can also add up to quick turnovers by trying to do too much and take us out of the game early. That would be playing right in Coach Strong's defense starting an inexperienced quarterback who is trying to make plays against a disciplined defense. As I stated, McNulty earned the starting QB position but if he can't generate anything on offense early, then I'm all about putting Dajon in to try to create a spark. I don't want UNT to play conservatively either but in a sense it is a chess match and there is more complexity with the game calling (reference to Georgia's game where the run opened up some golden passing opportunities on 1st and 2nd down that should have been converted but passes were dropped and/or throws were not accurate) that can enable the offense to take those risks at the right time.

I really don't care who it was against, he showed athleticism, ability to throw on the run, and zip on the ball that our other qbs don't have. Of course Texas won't be as easy Idaho, but the abilities Dajon has give us a chance to make plays and move the ball against a team like Texas. Also, before you bash Idaho too much don't forget that Mcnulty had a fumbled snap and a pick in the one series he was in that game. Not that he's a turnover machine or bad player, but let's not act like having a "bus-driver" type qb means no turnovers.

I'm not even that concerned about taking big risks downfield. More the strength and accuracy to fit the ball in tight windows in the intermediate passing game.

I think we can win plenty of games with Mcnulty or Greer and I don't think they're bad qbs, I just think with Texas being down right now this is a golden opportunity for a program defining win. I'd hate to see us not capitalize because we're overly conservative. Regardless of who the qb is.

• Upvote 1

I really don't care who it was against, he showed athleticism, ability to throw on the run, and zip on the ball that our other qbs don't have. Of course Texas won't be as easy Idaho, but the abilities Dajon has give us a chance to make plays and move the ball against a team like Texas. Also, before you bash Idaho too much don't forget that Mcnulty had a fumbled snap and a pick in the one series he was in that game. Not that he's a turnover machine or bad player, but let's not act like having a "bus-driver" type qb means no turnovers.

I'm not even that concerned about taking big risks downfield. More the strength and accuracy to fit the ball in tight windows in the intermediate passing game.

I think we can win plenty of games with Mcnulty or Greer and I don't think they're bad qbs, I just think with Texas being down right now this is a golden opportunity for a program defining win. I'd hate to see us not capitalize because we're overly conservative. Regardless of who the qb is.

I am very aware of Dajon's capabilities and McNulty's below subpar performance against Idaho. Dajon has a lot of upside and I have NO doubt that he will be a gamer once the coaching staff feels like he is ready to perform and manage a game in a hostile environment such as this. He is gonna have to sooner or later. In a sense, they're all inexperienced when put into a game of this magnitude. The reason why we, the fans, are having quarterback disagreements is because each quarterback brings something valuable to the table. All that we have to go on is what we have seen, the statistics that each player have produced through their collegiate career, and the coach's assessments. I'm excited, like all of you, on figuring out who the sure starter is going to be. Everyone also have valid points on justifying why quarterback x, y, or z should start. August can't get here soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Dajon's performance against Idaho kicks the crap out of everything McNulty has done in his opportunities.

Bottom line, regardless of the competition, Dajon took advantage of his one opportunity on the field and McNulty has shown nothing really his whole career with his arm, which is woefully lacking in strength for a FBS QB.

Has Dajon's lack of work ethic led to his injury problem and demotion to 4th team? Looks like it. But we better hope like crazy that he re-dedicated himself after Spring ball to prove to the coaching staff that he wants the starting job, because he is the most physically gifted QB on this roster. On that I think we all agree.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dajon's performance against Idaho kicks the crap out of everything McNulty has done in his opportunities.

Bottom line, regardless of the competition, Dajon took advantage of his one opportunity on the field and McNulty has shown nothing really his whole career with his arm, which is woefully lacking in strength for a FBS QB.

Has Dajon's lack of work ethic led to his injury problem and demotion to 4th team? Looks like it. But we better hope like crazy that he re-dedicated himself after Spring ball to prove to the coaching staff that he wants the starting job, because he is the most physically gifted QB on this roster. On that I think we all agree.

I brought Dajon up not necessarily to say he should be the starter, but just to say that his ability gives us the best chance against Texas. Also to say that I don't see the whole bus-driver approach being enough to beat Texas.

Like I, and GOMG2013 has concurred on, have said before, I don't think our staff would've ever started Johnny Manziel had they been the coaching staff at A&M in 2012. He didn't know the playbook as well as their other qbs and wasn't consistent enough in practice. Unless Dajon fully grasps the offense, it doesn't matter how good he is.

Performance?... against an already beaten opponent? It was nothing more pressing and/or impressive than watching him in passing drills during a weekly practice. Which BTW, he can be pretty impressive.

• Upvote 1

As a true freshman.

It seems you forget about his emergency duty against Ball St. (??) last year where he turned the ball over inside Ball St.'s 10 yard line.

And he never threw a meaningful pass the rest of the season.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1