New NCAA Requirements (2016)

BillySee58

First link is from 247, from a tweet by a UNC coach. Second link is an NCAA doc explaining things.

The current minimum GPA for an incoming freshman is a 2.0. If a student has below that he will still have to head to a JUCO or prep school. However, starting in 2016 (with the 2016 class coming in as freshman) freshman will be required to take an academic redshirt season if their core high school GPA was below 2.3, but they still were able to qualify by having a 2.0.

Basically, in between a 2.3 and 2.0 equals an automatic academic redshirt season. Some other changes, but that's the big one.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/UNC-assistant-tweets-graphic-of-new-NCAA-requirements-in-2016-28726426

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Important_New_Rules/2016_DI_New_Academic_Requirements.pdf

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Academic Redshirt

:

A college-bound student-athlete may receive athletics aid (scholarship) in the first year of enrollment and may practice in the first regular academic term (semester or quarter) but may NOT compete in the first year of enrollment.

After the first term is complete, the college-bound student-athlete must be academically successful at his/her college or university to continue to practice for the rest of the year.

I have no problem with any of this. I'm glad to see steps to restoring college athletes to being student-athletes rather than steps to make them semi-pro athletes/part-time college students.

• Upvote 1

There surely will be waivers and lawsuits and exemptions. Let's be honest. When it comes to the term student athlete in the context of big time money football, the first half is very often ignored (and sometimes, cough, Troy, cough, in smaller programs)

I would argue that any kid who is getting a mere 2.0 in high school (high school!) is in no way prepared to perform in the college classroom. I doubt that extra .3 is going to change it. I imagine this will hit the rampant one and done of basketball more than it will football where so many redshirt already.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

There surely will be waivers and lawsuits and exemptions. Let's be honest. When it comes to the term student athlete in the context of big time money football, the first half is very often ignored (and sometimes, cough, Troy, cough, in smaller programs)

I would argue that any kid who is getting a mere 2.0 in high school (high school!) is in no way prepared to perform in the college classroom. I doubt that extra .3 is going to change it. I imagine this will hit the rampant one and done of basketball more than it will football where so many redshirt already.

It could make a bigger difference than it sounds. Could be the difference in a kid coasting into college with a 2.0 and a kid busting his butt the last 2-3 semesters of high school to try and bring it up to a 2.3. Improving study habits before college helps make the transition easier for any student.

And yeah, should be interesting for basketball. A lot fewer redshirts in basketball. When you only have 13 scholarship players (versus 85) it's tough if you have 2 or 3 kids sitting out the season due to academics. Then injuries and such can really thin out the roster quick.

• Upvote 1

Was there an asterisk(*) indicating that this rule may not apply to the P5 if they don't wan't it to?

I was thinking that before I even clicked on the title to start reading the thread.