Chicago Bears: Names To Watch In NFL Preseason (Marcus Trice)

Harry

Marcus Trice – S

Why would a rookie tryout player draw much attention? They normally shouldn’t because they are typically no more than extra bodies for training camp. In the case of safety Marcus Trice though, it could be a different story. Coming out of North Texas, he is small in every well from his school down to his 5’8″ frame. At the same time he clearly had talent because he was originally recruited at Oklahoma.

Further view of the game tape shows a player with athleticism and speed who always seems to be around the football and also plays his best games against the best competition. He blocked a punt against 9th ranked Georgia, had two interceptions against Rice who went 10-3 and won the Conference USA championship and collected 14 tackles and a pick against 7-5 Ohio. The kid knows how to make plays. Initially it will be his special teams value that gets him on the roster, but there might be more there worth exploring.

Read more: http://nflmocks.com/2014/05/19/chicago-bears-names-watch-nfl-preseason/

Making us proud!!!!

• Upvote 2

why pick nits about what some dude in Chicago says about our School? What difference does it make if small school = unknown or if small school = not Big 5 conference? Compared to the big schools out there, athletically speaking, we are a small school. That doesn't change our potential, passion or how talented our alums are, it will just take time for others out there to recognize it.

Edited by hickoryhouse

AwlCuFO.gif

That's Bears safety Chris Conte getting bulldozed by Jonathan Dwyer. I'll always remember Conte for his blown coverage against the Packers resulting in the game-winning TD and thus crushing Bears' division title hopes last year. This link basically illustrates what Bears fans think about Conte:

http://sportsmockery.com/chris-conte-future-jobs-12377/

I really believe Trice could start some games for the Chicago Bears. Mundy was brought in as a free agent and will start at SS and Brock Vereen is probably the favorite right now to start at FS. Jennings is hurt right now, Steltz & Conte just don't seem all that good to me. One of my friends in Chicago asked me what they were getting in Trice, and on top of all the positives I listed I let him know that what he lacks in size, he makes up for with sheer guts and determination.

http://beargoggleson.com/2014/05/20/chicago-bears-sign-rb-perry-fs-trice/

This article doesn't mention "small school" and seems a bit more optimistic that he could truly be a sleeper pickup:

"FS Marcus Trice, North Texas (5’8, 193) - Transfer from Oklahoma who was an all-conference free safety as a senior at North Texas. Trice is short but a stocky 193 pounds. He is very quick with decent long speed (4.57) and very good ball skills (5 INTs, 9 PDs in 2013). He would be short for a safety in the pros, but has the skill-set to have a chance at free safety or as a slot corner. Trice is an aggressive tackler despite his small size (91 tackles) and packs a punch (3 forced fumbles). Trice’s size makes him a long-shot, but he’s a good football player and reminds me of Rams’ 2nd round pick LaMarcus Joyner."

I lived in Chicago for 10 years and never cared for Da Bears, but now I might have to get a custom made Bears jersey with the name "BE GREAT" and the number, of course, 8.