Nine teams with only 5 home games in 2014

10Eagle10

I will gladly take any P5 in Apogee. It's more and highly regarded publicity. Any P5, bad program or not. It's publicity. I'd preferably rather play the Indiana's and the Colorado's. A win against any P5 does more long term than a loss against a football factory, regardless of score.

Agreed that I would rather have Indiana than Nichols St., but answer me this:

Which win did more for this program in every way, Ball St. or Indiana?

I would argue Ball St. Maybe we didn't get the "UNT beat a horrible Indiana team tonight" mention, but what did that Indiana victory really DO for this program?

Nothing.

They were horrible, everyone knew it, AD the perception was a bad team beat a horrible team. And that perception was fairly accurate.

Ball St. Catapulted this team to a winning season, even if we didn't get a blip on the local news. It also raised the eyebrows of knowledgable college football fans that knew Ball St. was an upper tier non-P5 school.

Just imagine if we had scheduled an Iowa or Illinois at home last year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't you think that GB was possibly smart enough to compare other universities football coach vs president salaries and know what was up?

Seriously, which is more plausible, the above or that poor ole RVjust couldn't convince GB that we needed to be like every other FBS participant?

Are you really that gullable?

Yes, I am that gullible. I know you really like sports, but do you think she was chosen by leadership with anything besides tier one advancement/all that entails and rounding out diversity on her goals list? She didn't sit there and do RV's research on salaries - she flat out didn't care.

I know you have a tireless anti-RV campaign to run from whatever vehicle you're operating in heavy traffic this weekend, but, while we agree on a few aspects of your usual points, calling out this new narrative where Gretchy-Poo was a genius and RV couldn't do his job with her is just stupid, especially to anyone who knows even minor details behind the scenes of her run here. This isn't about sticking up for RV and the job he does; it's that what you're doing is the equivalent of calling the head of Parks and Wildlife to the carpet for not heading off the mortgage crisis.

Yes, I am that gullible. I know you really like sports, but do you think she was chosen by leadership with anything besides tier one advancement/all that entails and rounding out diversity on her goals list? She didn't sit there and do RV's research on salaries - she flat out didn't care.

I know you have a tireless anti-RV campaign to run from whatever vehicle you're operating in heavy traffic this weekend, but, while we agree on a few aspects of your usual points, calling out this new narrative where Gretchy-Poo was a genius and RV couldn't do his job with her is just stupid, especially to anyone who knows even minor details behind the scenes of her run here. This isn't about sticking up for RV and the job he does; it's that what you're doing is the equivalent of calling the head of Parks and Wildlife to the carpet for not heading off the mortgage crisis.

Lol. All or nothing with you, eh?

Someone smart enough to advance the tier 1 agenda is just too dumb to realize what you have to pay a good college coach? Too dumb to listen to her AD?

How hard did RV try? Do you know? Does anyone?

Yet you are content to buy the excuse that GB was anti athletics and had an ego so big it preclude anyone making more money than she.

Truth be told, it probably somewhere between our points of view.

BUT, it was still RV's responsibility to make her realize what his department needed and the importance of those needs. According to you, he failed miserably.

And you are right, the roads of Granbury are not safe today.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

Lol. All or nothing with you, eh?

Someone smart enough to advance the tier 1 agenda is just too dumb to realize what you have to pay a good college coach? Too dumb to listen to her AD?

How hard did RV try? Do you know? Does anyone?

Yet you are content to buy the excuse that GB was anti athletics and had an ego so big it preclude anyone making more money than she.

Truth be told, it probably somewhere between our points of view.

BUT, it was still RV's responsibility to make her realize what his department needed and the importance of those needs. According to you, he failed miserably.

And you are right, the roads of Granbury are not safe today.

I don't think it had anything to do with money or salary or what she was paid - it was more the "what's the point of paying anyone associated with this thing I care very little about it in my big picture more than $XXXXXXX." So, when someone comes to her and wants to make a passionate speech or show reasoning for supporting it, it doesn't matter how well he does setting up his argument, it's just not going to happen.

That doesn't mean RV is great or a failure - it just seems like an obvious reality. You can point to a ton of failures when you go down the list for a lot of leadership positions at old NT (and I have the same loss of passion for many of the same things you do), but your logic here to single out RV for failing to sway her just feels extra vindictive. We can easily agree to disagree on here, but just wanted to state my case.

Please don't swerve when you type back - it's a no refusal weekend and I'd hate for you to get in a sticky situation.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 2

Kind of with the RV supporters on this one. From what I know of RV and GB both personally and from others interaction with them RV would push the envelope for the best available but GB was definitely more interested in big money donors and the more liberal side of things. We even had that fear when she was hired, remember the shaman prayer at her inauguration??? Totally what she was about

Agreed that I would rather have Indiana than Nichols St., but answer me this:

Which win did more for this program in every way, Ball St. or Indiana?

I would argue Ball St. Maybe we didn't get the "UNT beat a horrible Indiana team tonight" mention, but what did that Indiana victory really DO for this program?

Nothing.

They were horrible, everyone knew it, AD the perception was a bad team beat a horrible team. And that perception was fairly accurate.

Ball St. Catapulted this team to a winning season, even if we didn't get a blip on the local news. It also raised the eyebrows of knowledgable college football fans that knew Ball St. was an upper tier non-P5 school.

Just imagine if we had scheduled an Iowa or Illinois at home last year.

The Ball St win was a better win only bc of the time of the season and the end result of the season. It was a momentum game that gave the team confidence that pushed them into the heart of the season.

• 1 year later...
On May 23, 2014 at 8:01 AM, flyonthewall said:

Yes, football really stinks right now. It is going to suck looking down and seeing all of the empty seats for the SMU game. More comedy from the peanut gallery. Why don't we just fire all of the major donors and give them all their money back, or just not take any more, because they are obviously content to just write checks with no expectations of success? HAHAHAHAHA

I found this particularly interesting...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

On May 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Harry said:

At the Cotton Bowl event last night, RV specifically addressed the issue of getting to 6 home games in 2015 and that they were working on this. I am pretty confident that we will have 6 in 2015. When the question was asked I looked around because I expected to see UNT90 in the audience.

Just another RV lie, Harry.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

On May 22, 2014 at 8:48 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hey, there's still about a year left to get out of either the Iowa game or the Tennessee game. I'll take RV's word that we won't have 5 home games again.

If he cant get out of either of those games, and we DO have only 5 home games next year, then his negative ledger will gain another mark. Make enough mistakes that outweigh the positives, and you lose your job. I think he has so much bank stored up (and if successful in bringing back baseball at a competitive level, will only gain more) that even the horrible Dodge/Stephens/Benford hires, and lackluster scheduling cannot outweigh the good he's done overall.

I'm an RV fan.

Glad to see you have re-evaluated your position here. 

Its stunning to look back and see how RV just riffed about getting 6 home games in 2015. It was all to put y'all off until he had to address it. And when he did? We got the N. Arizona lie. Or did he say he was going to bring them in instead of Portland St?

The lies just all run together at this point. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Glad to see you have re-evaluated your position here. 

Its stunning to look back and see how RV just riffed about getting 6 home games in 2016. It was all to put y'all off until he had to address it. And when he did? We got the N. Arizona lie. Or did he say he was going to bring them in instead of Portland St?

The lies just all run together at this point. 

The N Arizona was spewed up garbage to create an excuse for having the 2015 season begin vs "OPEN" then rattle off 12 straight games. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

The N Arizona was spewed up garbage to create an excuse for having the 2015 season begin vs "OPEN" then rattle off 12 straight games. 

That's right. There are so many lies it's difficult to keep track.

Edit: As you can see reading back through this thread, trusting Rick Villarreal is a losing proposition.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

On May 21, 2014 at 7:37 AM, greenit said:

And I have no reason to believe that we are not actively pursuing home/home series against the teams you are suggesting.

Until the supporters of this program gets to the point that we can eliminate the money game, it will be a recurring issues, just like it is at every other program in our situation.

I am hopeful we can use the new conference, new facilities, and improved results to take the next step up the ladder in terms of support.

Whoops...

• Upvote 3