Nine teams with only 5 home games in 2014

10Eagle10

And we have at least one additional year past 2015 with 5 home games.

But don't ask the AD about it, because he will shuck and Jive and deny its going to happen with phrases like "well, we are still looking at the 20(insert year here) schedule and nothing is final yet." Just like he did with Harry on the podcast.

Meanwhile, we have signed agreements to play these schools, so, ya, it's kinda final.

Without looking at the schedule, I'd guess 2017 is another 5 home game season at UNT.

Some things never change.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yep. Called this a long time ago. Also the reason 2017 will be a 5 game home season.

If RV came out and said we have 5 games in Denton in these two seasons because we need the cash to pay the bills and SMU as a road game helps us to at least alleviate some of the pain of our fans not having an extra game at Apogee, I'd accept it, even if I didn't want to hear it. Otherwise, there is no other reason that is acceptable at this point to have only five home games in Denton.

I really don't understand why we cannot get a better OOC opponent than SMU or Army scheduled at Apogee, but it is what it is, I guess. I always figured that with Apogee, we could get a decent home-and-home series scheduled with teams from conferences other than the MAC or the AAC. So far, aside from Indiana, we have hosted or will host teams in OOC at Apogee from the AAC (UH and SMU), the MAC (Ball State), Independent (Idaho and Army), or FCS (Texas Southern and Nicholls State). I thought we would see more Indiana-type teams from AQ leagues or a BYU or Boise State every once in a while. IIRC, we were told this new stadium would allow us the opportunity to bring in more recognized teams to Denton.Instead, we have OOC games with teams that Fouts hosted or easily could have hosted, even in its decrepit state. Very disappointing...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Frankly, I am not sure we really want to/are in a position to exchange a $1mm in exchange for a home game with a team that will provide 10k extra fans and a likely home loss.

Look at The Donks. That have had a decent OOC home schedule the last couple of years/next year that is damn near killing their football program. Why do you think they finally agreed to schedule a series with us? They were getting desperate for recognizable home game they feel they have a shot at winning (silly donks).

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 3

Frankly, I am not sure we really want to/are in a position to exchange a $1mm in exchange for a home game with a team that will provide 10k extra fans and a likely home loss.

Look at The Donks. That have had a decent OOC home schedule the last couple of years/next year that is damn near killing their football program. Why do you think they finally agreed to schedule a series with us? They were getting desperate for recognizable home game they feel they have a shot at winning (silly donks).

I agree it's a game they expect to win however I think the impact on their home attendance played a part as well.

I agree it's a game they expect to win however I think the impact on their home attendance played a part as well.

It will be interesting to see what the attendance is in the first two games of the series.

For the next several years, while the donk and Army series are still active, I am guessing we continue to see a money game and a buy game. We have a ways to go before we can afford to give up the cash.

If we follow the Boise model, the first shift will be a 'home' game at somewhere like the Death Star against a top 10 team where we have some sort of split on the gate.

Edited by greenit

If we follow the Boise model, the first shift will be a 'home' game at somewhere like the Death Star against a top 10 team where we have some sort of split on the gate.

We've done this before and it's a horrible idea. Giving up a home game and losing home field advantage defeats the purpose of why we built apogee but more importantly slows down the progress of building our program. Beating smu in our house will do more for what we want to accomplish.

If RV came out and said we have 5 games in Denton in these two seasons because we need the cash to pay the bills and SMU as a road game helps us to at least alleviate some of the pain of our fans not having an extra game at Apogee, I'd accept it, even if I didn't want to hear it. Otherwise, there is no other reason that is acceptable at this point to have only five home games in Denton.

I really don't understand why we cannot get a better OOC opponent than SMU or Army scheduled at Apogee, but it is what it is, I guess. I always figured that with Apogee, we could get a decent home-and-home series scheduled with teams from conferences other than the MAC or the AAC. So far, aside from Indiana, we have hosted or will host teams in OOC at Apogee from the AAC (UH and SMU), the MAC (Ball State), Independent (Idaho and Army), or FCS (Texas Southern and Nicholls State). I thought we would see more Indiana-type teams from AQ leagues or a BYU or Boise State every once in a while. IIRC, we were told this new stadium would allow us the opportunity to bring in more recognized teams to Denton.Instead, we have OOC games with teams that Fouts hosted or easily could have hosted, even in its decrepit state. Very disappointing...

We have very little scheduling flexibility right now due to the huge hole we dug ourselves into. Good luck finding the flexibility for a one and one.

2-0 money games appear more important to this AD.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We've done this before and it's a horrible idea. Giving up a home game and losing home field advantage defeats the purpose of why we built apogee but more importantly slows down the progress of building our program. Beating smu in our house will do more for what we want to accomplish.

I don't disagree. That's why I think our schedule will continue to look the similar to the current schedule for the foreseeable future.

SMU is not the reason that we have 5 home games. We have signed for 16 games with SMU...eight home and eight away. As long as we have single body bag games and 2 for 1 games with major opponents we will have to have five home games or buy a game ourselves.

We've had many years in the past when there were only five home games. I'd take it again for a good major opponent away and a virtual home game with SMU or TCU.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No offense, Gray, but this type of thinking is the reason we are where we are at right now: one of the least respected football schools in FBS.

We do not play in Fouts anymore. We do not play in the suck belt anymore. We have a pretty great athletic village.

Yet, some of our alums are perfectly happy with the status quo, willing to let the AD lie to them about 6 game home seasons with no repercussions and schedule us so far into a hole that we have to buy games 3 years in a row and still have 5 game home season in 2 of 3 years. The year we stop buying a home game? 2015. No coincidence that we have only 5 home games that year. It was so bad that we had to buy a home game in 2012 just to get to 5 home games.

That is horrible scheduling. But did we hear anything about it from the administration? Nope. From big dollar donors? Nope. From anyone? Nope.

Why? Because we are UNT and we just accept things.

With no consequences.

AD at UNT is easily the best and easiest job in America. No expectations and no results required, from the upper administration or the fan base. RV will put in his 25 and then collect a state pension.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Boise State sis that because they are in Boise, ID, not because they just thought it was a good idea to move a home game 30 minutes away. We are in a good market, no need to move to another site for any home games.

Boise State sis that because they are in Boise, ID, not because they just thought it was a good idea to move a home game 30 minutes away. We are in a good market, no need to move to another site for any home games.

If we could get Southern Cal to come to JerryWorld to play us and call it a home game (complete with a ticket & parking pass included in our season ticket package), then I'd be all for it. This would still be a UNT advantage, as I would expect a HoD-type crowd from UNT. And I highly doubt USC would consider coming to Apogee.

If Texas Tech or OU wants to play us in Jerry World and UNT can call it a home game, no thanks. They can come to Apogee.

Big difference there.

• Upvote 1

The reason we would have to move to another venue would be if the other team required it. For example, LSU, says we will play you, but the venue must hold 60k+, or we want 25k seats allotted for our fans,etc... Edited by greenit

If we could get Southern Cal to come to JerryWorld to play us and call it a home game (complete with a ticket & parking pass included in our season ticket package), then I'd be all for it. This would still be a UNT advantage, as I would expect a HoD-type crowd from UNT. And I highly doubt USC would consider coming to Apogee.

If Texas Tech or OU wants to play us in Jerry World and UNT can call it a home game, no thanks. They can come to Apogee.

Big difference there.

To make it comparable to what Boise did, we would play a "home" game against USC in San Fran or San Diego in order to get them to play us. And agreed that those teams can play us in our house.

The reason we would have to move to another venue would be because if the other team would require it. For example, LSU, says we will play you, but the venue must hold 60k, or we want 25k seats allotted for our fans,etc...

And that is them being a little unreasonable about the whole thing. UT played at UCF a few years back and that stadium is not much bigger than Apogee. I highly doubt we are going to get an LSU or similar regional team to come play in our place. We should be looking more at a team that is farther away that would like to get a game in Texas. Iowa, BC, or a school like that would be more likely to be interested.

And that is them being a little unreasonable about the whole thing. UT played at UCF a few years back and that stadium is not much bigger than Apogee. I highly doubt we are going to get an LSU or similar regional team to come play in our place. We should be looking more at a team that is farther away that would like to get a game in Texas. Iowa, BC, or a school like that would be more likely to be interested.

And I have no reason to believe that we are not actively pursuing home/home series against the teams you are suggesting.

Until the supporters of this program gets to the point that we can eliminate the money game, it will be a recurring issues, just like it is at every other program in our situation.

I am hopeful we can use the new conference, new facilities, and improved results to take the next step up the ladder in terms of support.

And I have no reason to believe that we are not actively pursuing home/home series against the teams you are suggesting.

Until the supporters of this program gets to the point that we can eliminate the money game, it will be a recurring issues, just like it is at every other program in our situation.

I am hopeful we can use the new conference, new facilities, and improved results to take the next step up the ladder in terms of support.

This is the DFW-area. Winning is the only thing that cures fan apathy. And the only exception to that rule is the Cowboys. Ask the Rangers, Stars, Mavs, TCU, whoever else.

UNT puts together 2 more seasons of winning like we did last year, and the worm will turn.

The other things you mentioned are decorations for the 'winning' cake. The prettier the cake, the better. Decorations are in order (for the most part), now we need the actual cake.