USAtoday college fb countdown (SMU must beat UNT)

GOMG2013

I think they will say the smu game is also a critical game for us where ever they have us ranked.....

It is in my mind.

They were a good 6-6 team. They competed with every team in CUSA. They lost 4 conference games, one of which was to ECU. The other 3 losses to teams that are returning to CUSA were lost by a combined 12 points. They also ended the year on a 4-game win streak, granted not against top tier teams; but momentum is momentum. They also sit about 50 miles due north of Miami, which is a recruiting coordinators dream land. I think we will be able to handle them at home, but they are not going to be a pushover by any means.

still not enough to consider them a threat. I really thought they were bringing most of thier team back the way some were talking. 6-6 and they were competitive, and they barely lost, and etc. blah, blah...better things can be said about UNT.

They lost some close ones, and we did too. Most feel we were better than UTSA and Tulane. If they were better than thier 6-6 record, then the same thing applies...we were better than our 9-4 record.

Seems like ESPN has FAU ranked right to me. A 6-6 team that lost most of thier starters. Yeah, they might still finish 2nd in the east, but I have them down as a loss coming to apogee.

I will consider a 7-5 record with this schedule decent and a move in the right direction. Anything less than 7-5, we probably lost to a team we had no business losing to.

still not enough to consider them a threat. I really thought they were bringing most of thier team back the way some were talking. 6-6 and they were competitive, and they barely lost, and etc. blah, blah...better things can be said about UNT.

They lost some close ones, and we did too. Most feel we were better than UTSA and Tulane. If they were better than thier 6-6 record, then the same thing applies...we were better than our 9-4 record.

Seems like ESPN has FAU ranked right to me. A 6-6 team that lost most of thier starters. Yeah, they might still finish 2nd in the east, but I have them down as a loss coming to apogee.

I will consider a 7-5 record with this schedule decent and a move in the right direction. Anything less than 7-5, we probably lost to a team we had no business losing to.

I think the FAU game has the possibility of being this season's 'Tulane game', for the reasons you listed above.

The only thing standing in the way of that...? Apogee Advantage.

Part of the problem with FAU: they bring some of it back, but it is not wow: they bring everything back. Yes they were better than the record last season, Yes it could go very well, with their schedule and the weak east. But remember: their coach got fired, and the new coach is not the interim coach either. Their new coach might be good, but he is a first time head coach, and that is just as likely to go terrible as it is to go well.

Also the SMU game is less important for UNTs season than for SMUs. If SMU does not win this they are not going bowling, there are just not enough opportunities to make this up for them, they'd know they are not going bowling before the calendar turns to october. UNT can easily make a bowl, even if this game ends up being this years UTSA game.

I think the FAU game has the possibility of being this season's 'Tulane game', for the reasons you listed above.

The only thing standing in the way of that...? Apogee Advantage.

Tulane played at home and had a good defense.

The possible Tulane game for me could be LaTech. They are bringing all 5 dbs back and a lb.

If they can cover our wrs, expect them to cheat on the run. If we come out in the first half like we did in most of 2013, we wont have many points.

FAU is bringing back a DB with pro potential, so we wont be throwing his way at all. I still think we can attack other areas and run on them.

1. Yes, i agree SMU has to beat us.. and we better come in hungry or it will be UTSA all over again.
2. SM"who?" , should be a t-shirt..

3. The weed must be real good at ESPN if we are ranked #103 and UNLV is ranked #95.
3. Who has a time machine so we can watch this game already... I seriously don't want to wait any longer. I want the mean green to crush SMU so bad!

#100 SMU

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/05/19/smu-southern-methodist-june-jones-2014-preview-roster-schedule-football-four/9215529/

Says game with UNT is a must win.

Other oppenents so far

#113 so miss

#114 UTEP

#120 UAB

#127 Fiu

updated #97 FAU...

So based on USA Today's rankings we are better than 7 opponents if you include Nichols state.

As I do for almost everything ESPN.

Then what in the world do you actually "put faith in"? People bash ESPN, CBS Sports, USA Today Sports, Yahoo sports, Bleacher Report... I guess if tasty does not say it then It's completely unreliable....

Yes we we rated incredibly low in my opinion and should have been much higher in the list. I just fail to see what anyone actually considers a realiaboe sports source. I am realizing unless tasty said it it's completely false. Which makes me and I am sure other people question many things that are said in these boards. I'm guessing the day ESPN says UNT ranked in the top 25 everyone's tune will change! So let's make that happen by opening up with a win over UT. I'm guessing then people will consider them reputable. So let's just win :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Then what in the world do you actually "put faith in"? People bash ESPN, CBS Sports, USA Today Sports, Yahoo sports, Bleacher Report... I guess if tasty does not say it then It's completely unreliable....

Yes we we rated incredibly low in my opinion and should have been much higher in the list. I just fail to see what anyone actually considers a realiaboe sports source. I am realizing unless tasty said it it's completely false. Which makes me and I am sure other people question many things that are said in these boards. I'm guessing the day ESPN says UNT ranked in the top 25 everyone's tune will change! So let's make that happen by opening up with a win over UT. I'm guessing then people will consider them reputable. So let's just win :)

I think Stephen A. Smith spits hot fire sports opinions.

SMU game will determine our season. We have tough P5 games before and after (UT & Indiana). Treating SMU as another ho hum non-conference game would be devastating for the remainder of the 2014 season. I hope for a good showing , no injuries, and a confident team coming back from UT. The amount of marketing and game day atmosphere we get for SMU will have much to do with on the field performance. I just have an underlying personal fear that our fans, students, and the Denton community will not give this SMU game the credibility and all out passion that it deserves. Those of us who have long supported this program know what a convincing win over these arrogant snobs could do for our local image immediately, BE THERE, BE LOUD, BE PROUD-- MAKE EVERY SNAP THEY TAKE BE A REMINDER OF JUST HOW MUCH THEY ARE LOATHED IN MEAN GREEN COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE PROUD & BE LOUD,

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

SMU game will determine our season. We have tough P5 games before and after (UT & Indiana). Treating SMU as another ho hum non-conference game would be devastating for the remainder of the 2014 season. I hope for a good showing , no injuries, and a confident team coming back from UT. The amount of marketing and game day atmosphere we get for SMU will have much to do with on the field performance. I just have an underlying personal fear that our fans, students, and the Denton community will not give this SMU game the credibility and all out passion that it deserves. Those of us who have long supported this program know what a convincing win over these arrogant snobs could do for our local image immediately, BE THERE, BE LOUD, BE PROUD-- MAKE EVERY SNAP THEY TAKE BE A REMINDER OF JUST HOW MUCH THEY ARE LOATHED IN MEAN GREEN COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE PROUD & BE LOUD,

I agree with the premise of just how important this game is to the season and especially for recruiting and local media coverage.

The only thing I disagree with is the fear that the fans won't get up for this game. Its the home opener, against a team that no one in Denton likes, that no one from UNT likes, and we are always behind them, perception-wise, by the local media and, more improtatntly, by conferences around the country. They will be up for this game. In 2006, when we were just terrible, we still pounded SMU in Denton, when they actually had one of their best teams since the Death Penalty but before June Jones got there. We were so amped up for that game that we pounded them and cost them a bowl berth at the end of the season. In 2007, again, when we were just awful--and they were too--we both played a huge pillow fight of a game in Dallas between teams that won 1 game (SMU) and 2 games (us). I think we will be ready for sure--McCarney knows it, too, that this game resonates with the Mean Green faithful, which is saying something, since he has seen just how little this place has cared about the majority of the teams we have played in his three seasons here. He knows this one will be easy to get up for.

I have no doubt that NT including students, fans and the team will be up for the SMU game. I do disagree that it is a must win for either team. Both teams have suffered far worse loses and lived on to better days. I will say it is just as important if not more for NT than SMU. SMU seems to live on their past pretty well no matter what is presently happening. Loses, poor attendance don't seem to alter SMU's perception much. NT on the other hand, needs to string some good seasons together to erase a decade of very bad football.

I have no doubt that NT including students, fans and the team will be up for the SMU game. I do disagree that it is a must win for either team. Both teams have suffered far worse loses and lived on to better days. I will say it is just as important if not more for NT than SMU. SMU seems to live on their past pretty well no matter what is presently happening. Loses, poor attendance don't seem to alter SMU's perception much. NT on the other hand, needs to string some good seasons together to erase a decade of very bad football.

What absolutely amazes me is that SMU went from 1989 to 2008 with one of the worst FBS football programs that existed, yet they still go decent to good media coverage in the DFW Metroplex. They might have about 5000 people at The Cotton Bowl for a game against Tulane, but the local media was there to cover it in full, as if 50,000 people were there instead. ANd when SMU has about 5000 people at Ford Stadium while playing Tulsa, it still gets full video coverage on all the local networks. I don't care if they have SWC legacy or not, that team didn't deserve any more publicity than we got when we sucked.

I just think the SMU name and money carries a lot of weight with the local media outlets. But usually, media members hate monied and well-heeled groups, which makes the SMU coverage even more unbelievable. And its not like SMU has a lot of journalists in the DFW media, ceratinly when compared to us. It really doesn't add up.