MGB: UNT lands late 2014 commitment Darren Denucci

Brett Vito

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Darren-Denucci-145884

Looks like we did have 2 late scholarships up our sleeve (Dashing and Denucci). That's 25 signees for 2014.

5.7 3-star on rivals. Just shy of a 4-star (5.8). Highest rated rivals commit since Riley Dodge. Should be interesting to see what position he ends up.

• Upvote 2

Denucci took official visits to Nevada, Wyoming, Southern Miss and Georgia State. He could have returned to Snow College for one more season to boost his stock, but opted to head to the FBS level after one junior-college season. Denucci played left tackle at Snow, but was a center in high school.

“Our head coach at Snow said if I would have stayed and played at center next year I probably would have gotten double-digit offers,” Denucci said. “USC came out and worked me out, but they’re looking for 2014. A lot of these schools wanted me in the 2014 class. I wanted to come out now. The time is now.”

One of the reasons Denucci wanted to jump to the FBS level after one year at junior college is his age. The Boutiful, Utah native is 22 years old. After a standout high school career, he went to Mississippi on a two-year Mormon mission. Denucci has three years of eligibility at Nevada, plus a redshirt year.

Read more: http://blogs.rgj.com/packblog/2013/06/10/wolf-pack-football-picks-up-late-2013-commit-in-ready-to-play-ol-darren-denucci/

Frank Denucci was cautiously optimistic when people began telling him that his then-15-year-old son, Darren, could play college football.

"I wanted to be objective," he said, acknowledging that is a tall order for most parents. "So I got others' opinions. They kept saying that if he worked hard, he'd definitely be a prospect."

Denucci worked hard, capitalizing on a natural passion for football.

"I just loved the contact," said the Bountiful offensive lineman, who recently participated in the Offense-Defense All-American game on FoxSports.

He said he knew he wanted to play in college but didn't start to worry much about it until after his sophomore year. His parents, Frank and Annette, took game film given to them by the Bountiful High coaches and paid a private company to make a highlight film for them.

"Then we organized a list and sent it all over the country," said Frank Denucci. Darren's parents also sent the tape to the organizers of the Offense-Defense All-Star game.

Shortly after sending out the tapes, Frank said he began making phone calls to find out which coaches had watched the tape.

Read more: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705278641/Linemen-noticed-early-as-recruits.html?pg=all

Ok, did he spend 2013 at Snow or Nevada? If it was Nevada, doesn't that mean that he is not eligible to play this season?

He never made it to Nevada. As a plus he has 4 yrs to play 3. Love getting jucos with extra eligibility.

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 3

OK thanks.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that BV wondered if he might be tried at defense. I've always observed that once you are in the OL in college that's where you stay.

Agree on the position switch. It can happen when they transition from HS to College but you rarely see it happen after.

You watch his video and it becomes very clear -- this cat plays nasty. He's not the biggest lineman ever but he's not small either. But he plays nasty like Y'Barbo. In fact these two guys should be roommates. I just really like signings like this. They jump out as "value". It gives me the sense our recruiting has jumped up a notch and our antennas our everywhere. Look at Billy See's offer updates and Vito's recruiting column...there is more recruiting activity on quality players than I can ever recall. It's very exciting to see what this class will be. Mac said the effects of the bowl win and 9=4 season take a bit to show results and I think we are starting to see the dividends from it as well as the hard work of the assistants.

He never made it to Nevada. As a plus he has 4 yrs to play 3. Love getting jucos with extra eligibility.

He has 3 to play 3. It has been two seasons since be enrolled as a full-time college student, so he's exhausted two years of his eligibility. If/since he sat out last year, it counts as a redshirt year. He will be a redshirt sophomore next season.

I like the fact that he plays hard until the whistle blows and that he has a little edge to his playing style. The fact that he played different positions on the o-line will make him more versatile if adjustments need to be made due to another o-line injury. That would be interesting to test him on the d-line and how he responds to those positions but I am pleased with him as part of the o-line.

• Upvote 2

This is where Coach Mac's reputation for building up linemen really helps. He chose us because we run a lot, we build the linemen up thru quality S&C programs, and we coach solid technique. Add in a great coach and you can see how we beat out Nevada, Southern Miss, Wyoming, and Georgia State. NIce find, Coach Mac!!