Spoke to a Texas fan tonight

Harry

Guy is a season ticket holder whole nine yards, grad -- huge UT fan. Anyway, here is the interesting thing. He was legitimately concerned about the UNT opener. He said there is a lot of stuff going on inside the program, "culture change" etc.. no true leaders have identified themselves. Half the team has not "bought in" to the Strong philosophy. Said Strong is making examples out of some of their best talent due to trying to instill discipline. He thinks Strong will be a great coach but that the change of the guard leaves them very vulnerable at the start of this season. He thinks Strong wants them to struggle/earn things a bit early on and will not try any trickery... it will be line it up and run it up the gut for the most part. He is convinced that if UNT doesn't turn the ball over they will make this a very close game... perhaps even win????

Anyhoo we're three months away but I already started getting my juices flowing about this game. Gawd this will be a long summer!!

Saban is famous for developing "HIS" culture. If you look back, he lost to ULM his first year at Bama which most remember but he lost to UAB his first year at LSU and was tied by a less than mediocre Purdue his first year at Michigan State. Strong didn't have anything that dramatic but had a close call against Eastern Kentucky his first year at Louisville.

My brother is a UT grad, fan, club ticket holder and he says the same thing. He says that if this seasons whorns went up against last seasons UNT team he would predict a loss against us. There will definitely be a culture and system change in Austin, but make no mistake, Texas has depth.

• Upvote 1

having a small dl won't help us

Last year, we all were saying the same thing about our DLine...hell, I thought that we would win about 3-4 games because of that small DLine and medicore-at-best QB play. Guess what, I was wrong, and so were most of the posters. The fact that Coach Mac did what he has always done--develop size and technique on his lines, run the ball, have a QB that has learned his system and knows what plays to try and make and to avoid, and get better at special teams--just as he did at Iowa State, so I give him major props for knowing how to build this thing up. He has a system in place, full of kids that are FULLY BOUGHT IN as to what is expected on the field, in the weight room, and in the classroom. He is light years better than anyone we have had on the sidelines as a FBS head coach since Hayden Fry was here. I completely trust that he will have us ready to compete hard with UT in the opener, just as I expect that same thing in Denton against SMU the next week.

To me, the QB situation is the most worrisome aspect of this season ahead, assuming injuries aren't a huge issue, but I expect that the DLine will play well this year, especially since Skladany is still the DC.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2

Last year, we all were saying the same thing about our DLine...hell, I thought that we would win about 3-4 games because of that small DLine and medicore-at-best QB play. Guess what, I was wrong, and so were most of the posters. The fact that Coach Mac did what he has always done--develop size and technique on his lines, run the ball, have a QB that has learned his system and knows what plays to try and make and to avoid, and get better at special teams--just as he did at Iowa State, so I give him major props for knowing how to build this thing up. He has a system in place, full of kids that are FULLY BOUGHT IN as to what is expected on the field, in the weight room, and in the classroom. He is lights year better than anyone we have had on the sidelines as a FBS head coach since Hayden Fry was here. I completely trust that he will have us ready to compete hard with UT in the opener, just as I expect that same thing in Denton against SMU the next week.

To me, the QB situation is the most worrisome aspect of this season ahead, assuming injuries aren't a huge issue, but I expect that the DLine will play well this year, especially since Skladany is still the DC.

Don't think anyone would argue that starters: Abbe (our biggest DT), or Sarge/Bellazin (our biggest DE's) were small. And with the technique Boutwell played, and how good he was, it was OK that he was undersized. I look for his kind of production out of undersized DT: Sid Moore.

Either way, for a DT, ~250lbs is widely considered 'undersized'.

We're getting noticeably smaller this year since our biggest DT (Wallace) can't seem to step up.

Guy is a season ticket holder whole nine yards, grad -- huge UT fan. Anyway, here is the interesting thing. He was legitimately concerned about the UNT opener. He said there is a lot of stuff going on inside the program, "culture change" etc.. no true leaders have identified themselves. Half the team has not "bought in" to the Strong philosophy. Said Strong is making examples out of some of their best talent due to trying to instill discipline. He thinks Strong will be a great coach but that the change of the guard leaves them very vulnerable at the start of this season. He thinks Strong wants them to struggle/earn things a bit early on and will not try any trickery... it will be line it up and run it up the gut for the most part. He is convinced that if UNT doesn't turn the ball over they will make this a very close game... perhaps even win????

Anyhoo we're three months away but I already started getting my juices flowing about this game. Gawd this will be a long summer!!

This was my main point in another thread. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of culture change in a program and how the current players buy into it. With few exceptions teams of new coaches always struggle. Our current team is fully immersed in the McCarney culture and his communication style. Texas players are not immersed in their culture.....yet.

It's my fondest hope that Coach Strong gets up in front of his team during half-time and says something like this quote from Rocky I.......

Apollo's Trainer: He doesn't know it's a damn show! He thinks it's a damn fight!

Edited by SilverEagle

We needed to address interior dline size in the offseason...

Are any of the young cats coming in going to be ready for UT?

Don't think anyone would argue that starters: Abbe (our biggest DT), or Sarge/Bellazin (our biggest DE's) were small. And with the technique Boutwell played, and how good he was, it was OK that he was undersized. I look for his kind of production out of undersized DT: Sid Moore.

Either way, for a DT, ~250lbs is widely considered 'undersized'.

We're getting noticeably smaller this year since our biggest DT (Wallace) can't seem to step up.

Which DT is ~250? Lincoln and Moore are listed at 267. I would expect moore to show up around 275 after working this summer. Orr and Watson are listed at close to 275. 275 is still small though.

We needed to address interior dline size in the offseason...

Are any of the young cats coming in going to be ready for UT?

TJ Tauaalo may be our best bet. He has good size (6-2, 290) already although ideally you would like to redshirt the kid. They also really like Tillman Johnson at defensive end. I think it's possible both could play.

TJ Tauaalo may be our best bet. He has good size (6-2, 290) already although ideally you would like to redshirt the kid. They also really like Tillman Johnson at defensive end. I think it's possible both could play.

Thanks Harry for your encyclopedic knowledge of our roster as always

• Upvote 2

Last year, we all were saying the same thing about our DLine...hell, I thought that we would win about 3-4 games because of that small DLine and medicore-at-best QB play. Guess what, I was wrong, and so were most of the posters. The fact that Coach Mac did what he has always done--develop size and technique on his lines, run the ball, have a QB that has learned his system and knows what plays to try and make and to avoid, and get better at special teams--just as he did at Iowa State, so I give him major props for knowing how to build this thing up. He has a system in place, full of kids that are FULLY BOUGHT IN as to what is expected on the field, in the weight room, and in the classroom. He is light years better than anyone we have had on the sidelines as a FBS head coach since Hayden Fry was here. I completely trust that he will have us ready to compete hard with UT in the opener, just as I expect that same thing in Denton against SMU the next week.

THIS, THIS & THIS

Now, it's time to get this fan base fully bought in and sellout Apogee #Hit6Sellouts

• Upvote 1

It was noted earlier on a different thread that Andy Flousche (sp?) is LISTED at 230 but was already up to 255 to play DE - during spring. When spring rolled around they decided to move him to DT - so by fall it is a pretty safe bet that kid will be around 275lb. It aint 305lb clog the middle huge, but as Boutwell proved in his career, that weight range coupled with speed, technique and a bit of nasty can work wonders.

• Upvote 2

If we had a proven starter at qb I'd feel better. Hard to be confident because of that one position

Last year half the people I spoke to said we didn't have a QB going into the season. I didn't think very highly of his performance the year before either. This is probably why I'm partial to Greer because he has more experience even if it was JUCO.
  • Upvote 1

T shirt fan or alumni?
  • Downvote 1

If we had a proven starter at qb I'd feel better. Hard to be confident because of that one position

Proven starter. The last one of those NT Football had, everyone on the board wanted to start a freshman instead.

NT has never had any success when it depends on the qb. Good running game, great defense equals MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL! Give the keys to Mini Mac and let him drive the bus.

• Upvote 2

Last year half the people I spoke to said we didn't have a QB going into the season. I didn't think very highly of his performance the year before either. This is probably why I'm partial to Greer because he has more experience even if it was JUCO.

We had a QB last year?
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I live in Round Rock & have had quite a few UT grads & fans approach me, while wearing my Mean Green attire, that they are really concerned about the UNT game. I'm sure it's not the case for everyone, but I'm sure UNT's season was a huge boost in the arm regarding respect. It's critical that they follow up with another very successful season to really get people noticing. Do I think UNT will beat UT? No, but I think it has the potential to be another Georgia-like game, possibly even without the late runaway. If UT gets the QB transfer from USC & he catches on quick, it might be a real tough game.