Ex-Dawg (UNT's Brelan Chancellor) signs with Chargers

Harry

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Chargers-Agree-to-Terms-with-17-Rookie-Free-Agents/bafbef67-ab54-4cbf-87a9-8b425609cfc8

Here's a list of Free Agents WR signed by San Diego (what matters in regards to Brelan):

Torrence Allen WR W. Texas A&M

Highly productive wideout fresh off 93 catch season for 1,272 yards and eight touchdowns.

Brelan Chancellor WR N. Texas
Explosive wide receiver also a special teams star. Ranked in top 10 in punt and kickoff returns, and was named the 2013 Conference USA Special Teams Player of the Year.

Micah Hatfield WR Oregon St.
Talented WR battled injuries at Oregon State. Finished career snaring 20 catches for 234 yards and four touchdowns.

Javontee Herndon WR Arkansas
Arkansas wideout set career-highs in 2013 with 31 catches for 437 yards and four touchdowns.

Brelan's edge is obviously his special teams ability. Danny Woodhead was fielding kick returns last year for SD he averages just 21.8 yards per attempt on 12 attempts. Woodheads longest return was 37 yards. It was good enough for 36th best KR in the league. San Diego ranked a weak #26 as a team in the returns category. So i think Brelan is a really calculated signing.

Keenan Allen fielded 15 punt attempts with an average of 8.3 yards per return. He was the #31 best returner in the league. Great receiver for them though, 1,046 yards on 71 catches. He should have no problem stealing the return spotlight, it will allow the other two guys to focus on the offensive piece. Woodhead, Allen, Gates were the biggest producers last year.

A footnote is Eddie Royal, he's their #2 receiver and has great return potential. He recently restructured his deal in the off-season so he could stay in San Diego. He caught 47 passes for 631 yards. Brelan could break into the receiving core but i don't think that's why he's there, which I think is a double-edge sword. He has a niche, i hope they give him a shot to expand out with it.

Other recievers:

16 Seyi Ajirotutu WR 26 6-3 215 5 Fresno State

86 Vincent Brown WR 25 5-11 190 4 San Diego State

80 Malcom Floyd WR 32 6-5 225 9 Wyoming

73 Dontrelle Inman WR 25 6-3 198 R Virginia

--Tobais Palmer WR 24 5-11 178 1 North Carolina State

16 Tevin Reese WR -- 5-11 163 R Baylor

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 2

I mean, i look at it like this. They'll list him as a receiver. He may even see some garbage time passes, but he has a specific role. I hope he can become a strong slot #3, it's definitely possibility. Rivers spreads the ball and the spread style system in place there really favors smaller, quick receivers and backs. Sproles and Woodhead come to mind.

• Upvote 2