North Texas Football 2014 Spring Wrap Up

Harry

There are two areas where UNT should be strong next season – its offensive line and its secondary.

The Mean Green’s core linemen have been together for what seems like forever. Guards Mason Y’Barbo ha and Cyril Lemon have started 37 and 35 games, respectively, while tackle Antonio Johnson has started 34.

Center Kaydon Kirby is also back after starting last year. UNT has just one lineman to replace and has a guy who has started two games in Shawn McKinney ready to move in at guard or another back up with experience ready in tackle Ryan Rentfro.

UNT is pondering moving Lemon to tackle for the first time in his career, which would change the lineup a bit, but the bottom line is this – if Lemon has an itchy toe, Y’Barbo knows it without having to ask.

UNT should also be solid in the secondary where starting cornerbacks Kenny Buyers and James Jones return along with a solid backup in Zac Whitfield who plays a lot. UNT also has strong safety Lairamie Lee back. The Mean Green has to replace Marcus Trice at free safety, but has some good prospects there in Freddie Warner and Sheldon Wade.

I don’t think there is any question that UNT’s biggest question is at quarterback. UNT fans wrung their hands all through last off-season at the prospect of Derek Thompson starting for a third straight year — something that was far from a given. All Thompson did was throw for 2,896 yards in a run-first offense and lead UNT to its third bowl win in program history. Oh, and he was the MVP of the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

Read more: http://www.saturdayedge.com/17959/north-texas-football-2014-spring-wrap/

QBs – C

Like a box full of chocolates, UNT has no idea what it’s going to get with Andrew McNulty and Josh Greer, who are in position to take over the starting job.

A fair grade considering the "unknown factor" of this position. But since I rated McNulty better than Thompson last year coming out of the spring, I'm not as concerned as other people. Plus we have all summer for Means and Greer to get more "comfortable."

RBs – B

UNT has a ton of good prospects and two proven players in Antoinne Jimmerson and Reggie Pegram. Does UNT have C-USA elite back? That remains to be seen.

Also a fair grade. And I stick with my previous assessment that this is the deepest we've been in "viable" RB's in just about ever. In other words, we can have a rash of injuries and the talent level won't drop off like it could have (and to a certain extend did) back in the Cobbs/Thomas days.

DL – C

UNT lost four key players who started nearly the entire year and will look to rebuild around defensive end Daryl Mason. UNT might not have a bigger concern that its defensive front.

About a month or so ago I might have agreed with this, but not so much now. I'm thinking more like C+ or B- .

We won't miss Brelan for his pass catching abilities per se. We'll miss him for his special teams play. For clutch pass catching, we need to replace Darnell Smith more than anyone else. I saw flashes of him in Brown( #87 ) and Chelf (#31) during spring practice and the spring game.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1