UNT’s NFL Draft drought continues — quick thoughts

Harry

The NFL Draft is in the books yet again without a UNT player being selected.

The last player picked was Cody Spencer in 2004. That’s a decade long drought for those of you scoring at home.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/05/unts-nfl-draft-drought-continues-quick-thoughts.html/

Was there suppose to be someone drafted? I guess I got out of the out the loop and focused more on basketball. I knew Braylon had a good chance of being signed after the draft but didn't know if anyone else even had a chance for that. (Just based in what I had read online months ago though)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It just underlines how bare the cupboard was when Mac arrived.

It suggests nothing of the kind. It has been at least since the Fry era that UNT has made any significant impact on the NFL draft.

Please quit repeating that goofy mantra that suggests players such as Lance Dunbar, Brelan Chancellor, Zach Orr, Mason Y'Barbo, etc. made no worthwhile contributions to the program.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Arguably our best pro of the last...10 years (?), Brad Kassel, was also not drafted. He probably could have lasted longer than the six seasons he did if he hadn't been injured.

Okay...there's Brian Waters, but he dates back quite awhile now. He ALSO wasn't drafted though.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

It suggests nothing of the kind. It has been at least since the Fry era that UNT has made any significant impact on the NFL draft.

Please quit repeating that goofy mantra that suggests players such as Lance Dunbar, Brelan Chancellor, Zach Orr, Mason Y'Barbo, etc. made no worthwhile contributions to the program.

So what does it suggest when a D1 University goes year after year after years without a player being drafted?

I pointed out that the O-line may break the drought next year with Y'Barbo, Lemon, and Johnson.

Many many players have made worthwhile contributions and played their hearts out while at UNT.

The title of this thread was: UNT’s NFL Draft drought continues — quick thoughts

I guess I should have said "I can;t believe we haven't had a bunch of players drafted over the past several years."

I admit I'm a UNT homer and that my hypocrisy knows no bounds, but that might have been a little over the top.

• Upvote 2

Being drafted and Free Agency don't mean as much today as they did 20-30 years ago. The number of free agents versus draftees on NFL teams have changed with a much higher representation of Free agents. So that is one factor, though not the only. Nevertheless, coming into camp as a free agent definitely does not have the stigma that it had years ago. The coaches are more than willing to see what their free agent signees can do.

• Upvote 1

Right the NFL used to have 17 rounds in the draft. So the players that would have been taken in those last 10 rounds are now taken as undrafted players. This year ,so far, West Texas has had 7 players signed.

Edited by buff64
  • Upvote 3

Thank you.

Still amazes me how often people buy into coach speak on this board.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So what does it suggest when a D1 University goes year after year after years without a player being drafted?

I pointed out that the O-line may break the drought next year with Y'Barbo, Lemon, and Johnson.

Many many players have made worthwhile contributions and played their hearts out while at UNT.

The title of this thread was: UNTs NFL Draft drought continues quick thoughts

I guess I should have said "I can;t believe we haven't had a bunch of players drafted over the past several years."

I admit I'm a UNT homer and that my hypocrisy knows no bounds, but that might have been a little over the top.

The problem is you not only re-issued a coach speak line first issued by Mac when he came here, but you upped the ante by applying it to the NFL draft.

What Mac said was never true, just a line to buy him as much time as possible to produce a winner (I guess he wasn't familiar with the fact that we NEVER fire ANYONE until the 4th year) and to increase the greatness of his image if he did actually produce a winner.

Pat yourself on the back for buying in hook line and sinker.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

The problem is you not only re-issued a coach speak line first issued by Mac when he came here, but you upped the ante by applying it to the NFL draft.

What Mac said was never true, just a line to buy him as much time as possible to produce a winner (I guess he wasn't familiar with the fact that we NEVER fire ANYONE until the 4th year) and to increase the greatness of his image if he did actually produce a winner.

Pat yourself on the back for buying in hook line and sinker.

What Mac said was never true??? You are right that I bought in hook line and sinker.

After going 8 - 40 the 4 years prior to his arrival, what should have he said?

How would you have assessed the situation?

This year there were 76 players taken that were not from the big 5 conferences.

It is pretty much that way every year.

The fact that we haven't had a single player taken in years makes a pretty harsh statement.

• Upvote 2

Right the NFL used to have 17 rounds in the draft. So the players that would have been taken in those last 10 rounds are now taken as undrafted players. This year ,so far, West Texas has had 7 players signed.

I thought it was 12 rounds.

What Mac said was never true??? You are right that I bought in hook line and sinker.

After going 8 - 40 the 4 years prior to his arrival, what should have he said?

How would you have assessed the situation?

This year there were 76 players taken that were not from the big 5 conferences.

It is pretty much that way every year.

The fact that we haven't had a single player taken in years makes a pretty harsh statement.

I would assess the situation as follows:

A high school coach brought a high school staff to coach college talent, and was terrible at the job.

Lance Dunbar is playing in the NFL. Brelan and Zach were Dodge recruits. Are they part of the smallest, slowest team in FBS?

After 3 years of Macball, have you taken the time to look at the size of this year's d-line?

Yes, you are completely buying a version of a line commonly used by head coaches taking over for coaches fired for poor performance. One from Charlie Strong was posted on this forum a week or two ago.

It's what coaches say to lower fan expectation, this hopefully ensuring them of a longer time period to turn the program around. Everyone does it. You just happen to believe its true.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The title of this thread was: UNT’s NFL Draft drought continues — quick thoughts

You can have a very good C-USA team without having a bunch of players drafted every year.

Funny that you used two of the players Coach Mac inherited as possible draft-drought breakers.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was 12 rounds.

A long time ago, when I was young, it was 17 rounds. Oh, concerning the number of players signed by the NFL from WT this year - 7 - that ain't bad for a Div II school. WT has played good football for a number of years now. When I can't go to Denton on Saturdays I watch WT. They're a lot of fun. Fans are more civilized too.

• Upvote 1

A long time ago, when I was young, it was 17 rounds. Oh, concerning the number of players signed by the NFL from WT this year - 7 - that ain't bad for a Div II school. WT has played good football for a number of years now. When I can't go to Denton on Saturdays I watch WT. They're a lot of fun. Fans are more civilized too.

Yeah, I just remember when I was a kid, it was twelve rounds. Looks like it changed to 7 rounds in 1994, which is much longer than I thought.

You can have a very good C-USA team without having a bunch of players drafted every year.

Funny that you used two of the players Coach Mac inherited as possible draft-drought breakers.

As far as breaking the NFL draft drought,

Cyril Lemon has a good chance. (Started every game from his freshman year on, 1st team C-USA, etc.)

Derek Akunne at 244 lbs or Lairamie Lee might sneak in around the 7th round. (both had C-USA honors)

Johnson and Y'Barbo are the last of the players that Coach Mac inherited to have any chance.

I agree that a team can have success in C-USA without draftable players.

Boise took down several ranked big 5 conference teams by having players with enough talent that the NFL drafted several of them.

Since 2000 they have had 26 players drafted. (21 since 2006)

They won because they had enough talent to do it.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 1