'15 OL Jordan Murray (Coppell)

So Billy, even tho this guy is built big, does he have good foot movement and other qualities to compete for a starting position? 30 years ago you would not find all that many 300 pd plus guys but nowadays they are a dime a dozen. A few years back I read that Trinity U, a DIII has some offensive tackle at 6'5" and over 300 pds.

I hope none of the freshmen are competing for a starting job.

I don't know why you'd say that; many freshmen have started against us and done well. And I'd say that at defensive tackle, we're in definite need of newcomers in the rotation, whether or not they start. I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of quality playing time out of Tuaalo, a redshirt freshman.

Jordan is still just 17... As I read it he didn't play varsity until his senior season?? He's probably not a guy that can step in right away and that explains why he didn't have dozens of offers but with a redshirt year and some development who knows... It will be fun to watch him but be patient.

Harry I believe he started junior year, played JV and coaches knew he was a big time project, but you can't teach that kind of size. He's come a long way. From what coach Dewitt said about him when I was at Coppell he's a great kid and works his tail off, he really believes he will be a very successful player for us.

I personally don't like the idea of him playing OT any time soon, if ever. He was obviously a project on HS do that doesn't bode well at OL in college. His feet may never really get underneath him to pass block as an OT. However, he could walk in and be a really, really good utility All-Star. Teach him to keep his pads parallel and to fire off and this is something that can be taught in one fall camp. Then use him on goal line offense, goal line defense, Fg block team, short yardage situations anywhere on the field. With that size, and simple technique he could come in as a true freshman and make an impact. With the kind of project he is redshirting him would be a waste when he can help the team right away. Unless his primary position is going to be at guard then there is no reason to redshirt him. He's a step in situational impact player if utilized and coached up right.

I personally don't like the idea of him playing OT any time soon, if ever. He was obviously a project on HS do that doesn't bode well at OL in college. His feet may never really get underneath him to pass block as an OT. However, he could walk in and be a really, really good utility All-Star. Teach him to keep his pads parallel and to fire off and this is something that can be taught in one fall camp. Then use him on goal line offense, goal line defense, Fg block team, short yardage situations anywhere on the field. With that size, and simple technique he could come in as a true freshman and make an impact. With the kind of project he is redshirting him would be a waste when he can help the team right away. Unless his primary position is going to be at guard then there is no reason to redshirt him. He's a step in situational impact player if utilized and coached up right.

A 6-9 OG? That might be a first.