'15 OL Jordan Murray (Coppell)

To me, it all goes back to the head coach. You can have good recruiters but struggle if you don't have a good recruiting head coach. Especially if you're losing. Because ultimately these kids are going to be playing for that head coach, not just the position coach or their lead recruiter.

I think Coach Mccarney is currently a very below average recruiting head coach. Being an older coach it's understandable that he can't connect as well with high school kids as well as a 34 year-old coach like PJ Fleck, who is killing it in recruiting at Western Michigan. But Coach Mccarney doesn't seem like a relentless recruiter like so many other head coaches, and very rarely do these kids rave about Coach Mccarney himself when Vito interviews them after they commit.

It's hard for a kid to commit to a school when they don't have a relationship with the head coach, especially when they have other options and the head coaches of those other FBS schools are calling them and contacting them often (within the parameters of the rules). That, to me, is why we have a situation where we 9 of our 11 high school commits either have only 1 other FBS offer or no other FBS offers.

The head coach is the closer. UNT isnt even getting to that point for mccarney to come in and close.

The head coach is the closer. UNT isnt even getting to that point for mccarney to come in and close.

This is what most people believe, but when I look at the truly great recruiting head coaches, I see guys like PJ Fleck and Butch Jones who are just relentless until the kid commits. Even if they aren't the lead recruiter, and not just right before the kid commits.

In 2015 I think head coaches need to do more than just close, with how competitive recruiting has become. Especially if you're coming off a losing season, or your name as a coach and program doesn't recruit for itself. But yes, our staff is not a great recruiting staff. But I think they'd look better if Mccarney was a good recruiting HC. That's just not was he is though, and maybe our position coaches need to do a better job carrying the load because of that.

This is what most people believe, but when I look at the truly great recruiting head coaches, I see guys like PJ Fleck and Butch Jones who are just relentless until the kid commits. Even if they aren't the lead recruiter, and not just right before the kid commits.

In 2015 I think head coaches need to do more than just close, with how competitive recruiting has become. Especially if you're coming off a losing season, or your name as a coach and program doesn't recruit for itself. But yes, our staff is not a great recruiting staff. But I think they'd look better if Mccarney was a good recruiting HC. That's just not was he is though, and maybe our position coaches need to do a better job carrying the load because of that.

Mccarney can do more, but he's not the reason. we are talking about cusa coaches. Franchioni, Coker, price, and these other school's head coaches are not tearing it up. Barely even see them.

The Co ordinators is where we are weak at. That is who the player is going to be playing for. Skladany and his system...chico and his system...enough said. You can't be sorry and boring.

Edited by GOMG2013

Is this all speculation on Mac or do you have facts?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is this all speculation on Mac or do you have facts?

It's a fact that our recruits rarely mention Mccarney when Vito interviews them after they commit. I see kids all the time talking about how excited they are to play for X head coach after they commit. In particular, the other school I follow more than casually in recruiting is Tennessee. Those kids rant and rave about Butch Jones when they commit, even though he isn't their lead recruiter or going to be their position coach. They want to play for him.

And, again, look at how poorly a job we've done getting kids who have other FBS schools coming after them hard. It just seems like kids would rather play for other coaches, when they have options. Maybe some people overestimate our position coaches as recruiters, but even so a team's recruiting classes fall on the head coach in the end. And for good reason.

True, the classes do fall to the head coach in the end. I remember Riddle's dad talking about his relationship with Canales, yet Mac hadn't pulled the trigger on an offer. Not sure if this young man was/is the answer to our issues at QB, but from his video, I was surprised.

I guess I question the speculation from people outside the program. I could speculate for days on what I think is going on or not going on, but I would probably be way off in my assumptions. I would love to hear a young man say why he chose or did not choose UNT.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I will have to give the staff the benefit of the doubt. They certainly did not have to go out and re-recruit him. I will assume they saw something that they did not think they could get somewhere else.

Going to have to start figuring out what to do with everyone if we keep adding... Keep'em coming Coach Mac.

Welcome back Jordan!

• Upvote 1

It's a fact that our recruits rarely mention Mccarney when Vito interviews them after they commit. I see kids all the time talking about how excited they are to play for X head coach after they commit. In particular, the other school I follow more than casually in recruiting is Tennessee. Those kids rant and rave about Butch Jones when they commit, even though he isn't their lead recruiter or going to be their position coach. They want to play for him.

And, again, look at how poorly a job we've done getting kids who have other FBS schools coming after them hard. It just seems like kids would rather play for other coaches, when they have options. Maybe some people overestimate our position coaches as recruiters, but even so a team's recruiting classes fall on the head coach in the end. And for good reason.

Any theories as to why? DMac definitely has a positive personalty and a salesman's mouth on him, so is he just not putting in the time individually to impress some of the recruits? I'd probably buy a used car from him.

• Upvote 1

is it weird that I don't want him back??? I am not sure the project is going to be worth the returns.

Yes, it is weird, no matter how many question marks you put after it. Are you not seeing that the game has changed, and for once, our coaching staff is staying up with the times, and is maybe well ahead of the curve? Look at us as public school kids, who need to get over any hurt feelings before they get in our way.

Any theories as to why? DMac definitely has a positive personalty and a salesman's mouth on him, so is he just not putting in the time individually to impress some of the recruits? I'd probably buy a used car from him.

Billy posted that a few weeks ago, but I have noticed that a couple of the recent commits have specifically mentioned Coach Mac, and in very glowing terms.

• Upvote 2

Billy posted that a few weeks ago, but I have noticed that a couple of the recent commits have specifically mentioned Coach Mac, and in very glowing terms.

Yes, there certainly has been more of it recently. I don't know if Vito is asking them more specifically or if they're just doing it. It is good to see.
  • Upvote 2