'15 OL Jordan Murray (Coppell)

Can you imagine 5'10" McNulty throwing to the side of the field where a 6'10" guard is in front of him?

Interesting.

Convert him to NT.

No, please. He wants to play OT, the coaches told him that's where he will play. I'm pretty sure he is a Polynesian; I'm going to ask my neighbor about him. My neighbor is a Tongan ex Euless Trinity LB. He thinks that the local Polynesian community is starting to like UNT. With guys like this Jordan Murray, and with Tuaalo starting to get playing time next year, you guys will be pleasantly surprised with their performance. In a way, I was talking about this years ago, but thinking we'd need to recruit players like this from Trinity. Now there are schools all over the area with players like this who can contribute to our program in a BIG way. Watch and learn.

• Upvote 3

Because 6'10" nose tackles are so successful. This guy will get manhandled due to not having any leverage with that height.

Never understood the leverage argument in offense vs defensive line. Speed and quickness? yes. Explosivness? yes. Leverage? no.

Line play is all about leverage, on both sides. If leverage is a problem for a player on dline, it'll be a problem for that same player on oline.

At his height, I believe he will have an issue regardless which side of the ball he plays. Opponents will have no problem getting up under his pads and driving him wherever they want. If speed and quickness were his forte, then I would imagine the Coppell Bball coaches would have been all over him. Just my concern.

Now, I hope Mr. Murray proves me wrong as I prefer to give recruits a chance to develop and play a couple of years prior to really rating them. Welcome to UNT. I won't eat a real crow thay old Steve O did in New Orleans, but I will gladly state that my fears were premature and admit that I was wrong. I hope you kick a$$ all over the field for thd next 4 or 5 years.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Downvote 1

Never understood the leverage argument in offense vs defensive line. Speed and quickness? yes. Explosivness? yes. Leverage? no.

Line play is all about leverage, on both sides. If leverage is a problem for a player on dline, it'll be a problem for that same p"layer on oline.

.. coaching and technique can help with leverage. Im very excited to see what the coaches do with him!

That size reminds me of Herman Johnson who came out of Denton and played at LSU. Whatever happened to that guy? He was a beast!

I went to HS with Herman and just saw him about a month ago at our 10 reunion. He was drafted by the cards and was there for a couple years before he was cut and then got pick up by the Bears Practice squad for 1 or 2 seasons and then was cut. He is now a jailor at the Carrollton jail if I can remember correctly from that crazy night. Also married with a wife and kid.

Line play is all about leverage, on both sides. If leverage is a problem for a player on dline, it'll be a problem for that same player on oline.

The difference is, as an offensive tackle, the game is played much higher outside than on the interior, with DTs, nose guards, guards, and centers.

In pass pro you're trying to keep your upper body upright while getting a good kick set. You're using your feet to stay in front of your rusher and your arms to keep fending him off. I played center, and I knew that if I didn't stay low I would get bull rushed into my qbs lap. That doesn't do a defensive end much good, as a tackle will just ride them up field, since there is no qb directly behind them.

In run blocking you're more concerned about setting the edge and getting the d-ends sealed than you are about getting great leverage and drive blocking, as a tackle. You still need good leverage, but it's just very different on the outside. There's a reason you rarely see defensive tackles and nose guards over 6'4" in the NFL. And why most offensive tackles are usually 6'5", mostly 6'6" and bigger.

• Upvote 2

Eeeek... I wish you guys wouldn't post negatively about potential recruits because they read.

I do my best not to say anything demeaning or personal about these kids. In general, anytime a kid has prototypical size and has great exposure (i.e. plays at a powerhouse program) if he doesn't have any or very many offers, it raises a red flag. He knows better than any of us who all has talked to him and seen him but hasn't offered. It doesn't mean he can't be a good player for us or that we aren't excited to get him.
  • Upvote 5

The Arkansas Razorbacks have a starting OL guy, # 63 Dan Skipper, who is 6-10, 316.

I wonder if Jordan Murray is the biggest football player that North Texas has ever had

in North Texas football history?

Don't think so. We had a huge farm boy from west Texas during the Dickey era, 2000-2004 I want to say, that was at least this big? Nicest kid you'd ever meet. His parents were giants as well. Can't think of his name but he stepped back on Ol Green Guts' foot one time and broke a bone in it causing him to have surgery. He was huge and just fast enough to time with a calender. I think he got to play one series of his final home game?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick