Former UNT Head Coach Todd Dodge is new coach at Austin Westlake

Harry

from press release:

Todd Dodge has been named Eanes ISD Athletic Director and Head Football Coach at Westlake High School, announced Superintendent Dr. Nola Wellman today. Dodge, who currently heads the Marble Falls High School football program, has almost 30 years of coaching experience at the high school and collegiate levels.

“Coach Dodge brings a wealth of achievements to a well-established and historically successful program,” said Dr. Wellman. “As a coach and leader, he exemplifies the character and values that are consistent with those of Westlake High School. His ability to instill those characteristics in the young men he coaches is admirable.”

Dodge served as the head coach of Southlake Carroll High School from 2000 to 2006, leading the Dragons to four Class 5A state titles and one state runner-up finish. The school compiled a 98-11 overall record with Dodge at the helm, and he was named National Coach of the Year twice.

Prior to Marble Falls, Dodge held coaching stints at the University of Pittsburgh and University of North Texas, as well as Fossil Ridge and Cameron Yoe high schools. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Secondary Education from the University of Texas at Austin, where he majored in History with a minor in Health. Before graduating in 1986, Dodge was a three-year starter as quarterback for the Longhorn football team.

He and his wife Elizabeth have two grown children, Riley (25) and Molly (20).

Dodge will meet his new players Friday and is expected to officially start Monday, May 5.

And I'll say this much. You know who in the Dodge family I genuinely wish the best for? Riley. That kid was put in a horrible situation for which he wasn't physically built, but he put himself out there 100% for his father, the love of the game, and for North Texas. I watched him throw up the talon when he was carted off on a stretcher. He shouldn't have been an FBS quarterback behind the most porous line in all of college football, but he sucked it up and took the hits. Now he's working his way up the coaching ranks without invoking his father's name. He did what he could do then, and he's doing it right now.

• Upvote 5

And I'll say this much. You know who in the Dodge family I genuinely wish the best for? Riley. That kid was put in a horrible situation for which he wasn't physically built, but he put himself out there 100% for his father, the love of the game, and for North Texas. I watched him throw up the talon when he was carted off on a stretcher. He shouldn't have been an FBS quarterback behind the most porous line in all of college football, but he sucked it up and took the hits. Now he's working his way up the coaching ranks without invoking his father's name. He did what he could do then, and he's doing it right now.

Agreed. He was also genuinely a nice guy if you ever met him

• Upvote 1

I don't see this as blocking UNT from recruiting from Westlake. I believe his character is such that he'll put what's best for his players ahead of any negative feelings he has for us. He might not be promoting UNT to his players but it would be very selfish of him to block our coaches from going in there to talk with his players. I just don't see that happening.

I'm curious about the discussion of him trying to block us from recruiting. Does he harbor UNT ill will? I would think he's be grateful for the opportunity and the fact that he was given so much time to try to get momentum, but maybe that's just me.

There shouldn't be any ill will with either party. It was a promotion for him to take the next step operating a division one football team as a head coach. Todd Dodge KNEW that D1 wasn't going to be a 5A challenge. It just goes to show the HUGE experience disparity transitioning from high school football to college football as a head coach. If you put Todd Dodge's body of work next to Coach Mac's resume then I think it would hit home on Dodge's place in college football as a head coach to begin with. I think UNT fans were split about the hire from the get-go but it did create a lot of buzz. I never agreed with the hire to begin with but I do respect Todd Dodge for trying to revive UNT and wish him nothing but the best to him and his family. If anything, this should have been a learning experience for him from a business standpoint of college football and APPRECIATE that he was given the chance to be a HEAD coach at the DIVISION ONE level when so many assistant coaches (and former head coaches) with plenty of college football pedigree/experience interview and are turned down year after year.

I hope that time has healed enough for him and he will be willing to accommodate UNT coaches as well as his players accordingly. He is a good man, and like many of us, can't blame him for snatching an opportunity of a lifetime to be a head coach for a division one football program.

• Upvote 1