'15 QB Chris Riddle (Florida)

Harry

He looks very fluid, good arm, and I like his size (6'3", 200 lbs. according to 24/7). I'm a little surprised he's being so lightly recruited--I'm guessing he must be playing in a low classification (not sure how it works in Florida).

Yes. For the most part, we gave up recruiting Louisiana. What makes us think we can sign players out of Florida? Unless Canales has a connection with this player??

Recruiting Louisiana kind of has its own set of issues, and I really don't think it has too much to do with distance from Texas.

That said, we've recruited players out of Florida before, and I don't remember having much luck.

Shawn Early was a good linebacker we recruited from Florida awhile back. We don't know the circumstances -- he could have family here. Plus, if Chico believes in him he would have a good chance to come in here and earn a job. I like what I see from him -- good size, mobility and arm.

Yes. For the most part, we gave up recruiting Louisiana. What makes us think we can sign players out of Florida? Unless Canales has a connection with this player??

Understand the difference between giving up recruiting Louisiana and no longer putting major resources into Louisiana. We already have offered a player from Louisiana in this cycle in Mikorri Reese.

Taking major resources out of recruiting a state or area doesn't mean you are never going to offer a kid from that state/area ever again.

• Upvote 1

I ran across this thread this morning when doing some research on UNT so I hope y’all don’t mind if I chime in. I’m Chris’ pops and I can tell you he is very intrigued by UNT. I’ll give you the nickle tour on his background.

Chris has been playing the position as a starter since he was 8-years old. Last year (his junior year) was the first year he didn’t take a snap. That’s because one week before the start of the season, some knucklehead DE was trying to earn a starting spot and horse-collared Chris on a designed rollout in a team practice. Yes, his own teammate! The torque from being pulled down, backwards in an awkward position splinter fractured his fibula which required 3 plates and 8 screws to repair…it put him out for the season.

Before this, Chris had significant interest interests from quite a few BCS schools but after sitting out his critical junior year, recruitment fell off quite a bit.

Now, Chris is better than ever having fully-healed back last November. His footwork is crisp and efficient, arm talent is always improving and he continues to grow. He also recently competed in the Elite 11 regional invitational where he did very well. Finally, it should be known that Chris is very young for a rising senior at about 16.5 years old and therefore will still be 17-years-old when he reports to college. He currently stands 6’3 and his orthopedic surgeon is confident he has at least another inch left.

Chris has transferred this year to University Christian School in Jacksonville, Florida where he is slated to start. In fact, because of Chris and a few other talented skill guys that have also transferred in, the coaching staff is moving over from the wing-T to a multi-set offense to include plenty of play-action and short passing game. This scheme is definitely in Chris’ wheelhouse. Additionally, UCS is contracting Mike Sims (Chris long-time QB coach) to consult throughout the season and oversee the new offensive scheme.

So does UNT have a realistic chance of getting Chris if they decide to offer? Absolutely! Chris currently has zero offers as of now (although I suspect that will change when spring ball hits in just over a week). He really likes the direction that UNT is going, the fact they are also running a multi-set offense this year and the level of interest Coach Canales has in him. It’s not the size of the program that will be the biggest factor for Chris. His decision will be driven by a few elements. For one; where does he stand the best chance of making a difference early on? Does the offense compliment his strengths? How interested is the courting program? And, who offered early?

It will be interesting to see how these relationships develop over the course of the next 8 to 10 months. While I would never make a promise for a decision my son will ultimately make on his own, I can tell you he is legitimately interested in UNT and seems to really like Coach Canales.

I hope that answers any questions y'all might have and feel free to hit me up for anything I missed.

Thanks and Go Mean Green!

You guys seem like real good people and I am sorry to hear your son had to go through that type of situation. It sounds like he has made the best of it and that says a lot about his character. I hope you guys get to make a visit -- we have some great new facilities and a good education to offer. Outstanding coaching staff to boot! Denton is a great town and close to Fort Worth and Big D. Again thanks for the info, your interest and we wish you and you son the best! GMG!

I ran across this thread this morning when doing some research on UNT so I hope yall dont mind if I chime in. Im Chris pops and I can tell you he is very intrigued by UNT. Ill give you the nickle tour on his background.

Chris has been playing the position as a starter since he was 8-years old. Last year (his junior year) was the first year he didnt take a snap. Thats because one week before the start of the season, some knucklehead DE was trying to earn a starting spot and horse-collared Chris on a designed rollout in a team practice. Yes, his own teammate! The torque from being pulled down, backwards in an awkward position splinter fractured his fibula which required 3 plates and 8 screws to repairit put him out for the season.

Before this, Chris had significant interest interests from quite a few BCS schools but after sitting out his critical junior year, recruitment fell off quite a bit.

Now, Chris is better than ever having fully-healed back last November. His footwork is crisp and efficient, arm talent is always improving and he continues to grow. He also recently competed in the Elite 11 regional invitational where he did very well. Finally, it should be known that Chris is very young for a rising senior at about 16.5 years old and therefore will still be 17-years-old when he reports to college. He currently stands 63 and his orthopedic surgeon is confident he has at least another inch left.

Chris has transferred this year to University Christian School in Jacksonville, Florida where he is slated to start. In fact, because of Chris and a few other talented skill guys that have also transferred in, the coaching staff is moving over from the wing-T to a multi-set offense to include plenty of play-action and short passing game. This scheme is definitely in Chris wheelhouse. Additionally, UCS is contracting Mike Sims (Chris long-time QB coach) to consult throughout the season and oversee the new offensive scheme.

So does UNT have a realistic chance of getting Chris if they decide to offer? Absolutely! Chris currently has zero offers as of now (although I suspect that will change when spring ball hits in just over a week). He really likes the direction that UNT is going, the fact they are also running a multi-set offense this year and the level of interest Coach Canales has in him. Its not the size of the program that will be the biggest factor for Chris. His decision will be driven by a few elements. For one; where does he stand the best chance of making a difference early on? Does the offense compliment his strengths? How interested is the courting program? And, who offered early?

It will be interesting to see how these relationships develop over the course of the next 8 to 10 months. While I would never make a promise for a decision my son will ultimately make on his own, I can tell you he is legitimately interested in UNT and seems to really like Coach Canales.

I hope that answers any questions y'all might have and feel free to hit me up for anything I missed.

Thanks and Go Mean Green!

Good to know and thanks for the information. It clears the picture up quite a bit.

QB competition was open last year even with a 2 year starting QB returning, so if your son wants the opportunity to get in the field, we are definitely the program for him.

Hope you guys get a trip in. Like Harry said, we have some of the best facilities of any "small" school. Really hope you make the SMU game.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. With the new facilities, top-notch coaching staff and all the other great things I've heard and read about North Texas, it sure seems like it might be a great place for Chris. I'm sure we will get Chris to UNT for a game-day visit this fall. Coach Caneles (I think some call him Chico) told Chris that either he, or someone from the staff, would come visit him and watch him perform during his spring season next month. It will be fun to see how that relationship develops

BTW, from what I can tell, UNT has a great fan base...another plus, IMHO.

Edited by RiddleMeThisGT
  • Upvote 2

UPDATE: Chris just got off his weekly call with Coach Canales and caught Chris off-guard with a quarterback knowledge pop quiz. Bottom line was he told Chris he was very impressed with Chris' football IQ and that level of knowledge and his confidence in his answers are exactly what he's looking for in a quarterback. Coach told Chris to be ready because next week he's going to hit him with 10 in-depth questions.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 4

UPDATE: Chris just got off his weekly call with Coach Canales and caught Chris off-guard with a quarterback knowledge pop quiz. Bottom line was he told Chris he was very impressed with Chris' football IQ and that level of knowledge and his confidence in his answers are exactly what he's looking for in a quarterback. Coach told Chris to be ready because next week he's going to hit him with 10 in-depth questions.

Go Mean Green!

Great to hear and thanks for sharing. Welcome to the board

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good arm. Granted most of these plays were non-contact and some were even against ghost defenders. Either way, he seems to have a pretty strong arm. He would be a good addition that would compete when he came in.

Agreed that he looks like a solid prospect and one I would like to see in green.

As to the second part of your statement, I have said it before and I'll say it again, unless you don't have any other option, always redshirt a freshman QB. Giving a talented QB a chance to see the speed of the game from up close, a chance to learn the offense, and learn to read a defense at the college level is extremely valuable. Two of the best young QBs in recent years both had a RS season before seeing the field. It is not a knock on the player to give them a year to develop.

• Upvote 1

Good arm. Granted most of these plays were non-contact and some were even against ghost defenders. Either way, he seems to have a pretty strong arm. He would be a good addition that would compete when he came in.

I had the same observation plus I really liked his quick footwork and how fast he can setup to throw. Nice quick release and steps into his throws.