Rick Gosselin: Football is Back at North Texas. Big Time Football.

meangreener

It absolutely does. He toots his own horn all the time. Kind of annoying. And to be honest he's too old to be doing this kind of BS. He's not going anywhere after this place, so why pound your chest every media opportunity you get.

He does it because he wants. To be a head coach for as long as he wants. All head coaches do it.

It just amazes me that people buy into this crap.

Telling the metroplex that we had less than 100 at his 1st Spring game benefits no one but Coach Mac.

Does anyone really think it is good for the program to portray that we had less than 100 hard core fans a mere 3 years ago? Really?

• Upvote 1

It absolutely does. He toots his own horn all the time. Kind of annoying. And to be honest he's too old to be doing this kind of BS. He's not going anywhere after this place, so why pound your chest every media opportunity you get.

The level of tired head I got from this post...

Some people are in serious denial about how this program was perceived before Coach Mac. SFA was a more respected football program in Houston. Hell, I don't even know if most of my high school classmates knew UNT had a football game.

But keep idealizing the past, go ahead.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I mean, if the puffery bothers people, I'm sure the soft spoken coach from Marble Falls would gladly return to prove his plan is right and perfect in every way.

Well, at least we wouldn't have to deal with a successful coach proud of his accomplishments.

The original headline was "Football is back at North Texas. Big time football.

Even with Mac's comment and the new headline, how exactly can anything in this thread be bad? Dear lord.

• Downvote 1

He does it because he wants. To be a head coach for as long as he wants. All head coaches do it.

It just amazes me that people buy into this crap.

Telling the metroplex that we had less than 100 at his 1st Spring game benefits no one but Coach Mac.

Does anyone really think it is good for the program to portray that we had less than 100 hard core fans a mere 3 years ago? Really?

Yes, I do. Clearly the point is "jump on the bandwagon now. There's plenty of room."

Because there is. Remember the MTSU game when maybe 200 people showed up max?

Now let's look at the bad weather game this year, UTSA. 19K showed up and I was equally miserable at that game as the MTSU one, just not wet.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 1

The level of tired head I got from this post...

Some people are in serious denial about how this program was perceived before Coach Mac. SFA was a more respected football program in Houston. Hell, I don't even know if most of my high school classmates knew UNT had a football game.

The only people in Houston who knew anything about UNT 15 years ago were musicians. It's amazing to see how far the University has come in such a relatively short amount of time. I mean, we've got BILLBOARDS and EVERYTHING now.

This is a great article and a positive look for UNT. No need to pick it apart. It also implies that there once was big time football at UNT. Which is fun to remember.

• Upvote 3

Yall would really hate me then...if I turned trash program into a 9 win team, you would never hear the end of it. Especially when I said I could do it and people laughed at me. Especially if people said, it would take a miracle to turn that mess around...I dont blame him. Some STILL dont believe and give him his due credit.

If a person has to self promote, that means others are not doing enough promoting. Mac still has to sell this program to recruits, alumni, and locals. Its the same speech over and over, but its brand new to a lot of people. Some are still out there saying, "unt has a new stadium? "unt won a bowl game? Unt is in cusa? Unt is division 1?"

• Upvote 2

The only people in Houston who knew anything about UNT 15 years ago were musicians. It's amazing to see how far the University has come in such a relatively short amount of time. I mean, we've got BILLBOARDS and EVERYTHING now.

This is a great article and a positive look for UNT. No need to pick it apart. It also implies that there once was big time football at UNT. Which is fun to remember.

Exactly. Sometimes I tend to think Todge and Cougar King aren't too far off in their criticism of the denial that goes on in this forum. UNT was in a bad, bad, bad, bad place when I got here in 2010 even with Apogee being built. Shit, Fouts was literally falling apart. And then the MTSU game 200 people showed up at Apogee.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, I do. Clearly the point is "jump on the bandwagon now. There's plenty of room."

Because there is. Remember the MTSU game when maybe 200 people showed up max?

Now let's look at the bad weather game this year, UTSA. 19K showed up and I was equally miserable at that game as the MTSU one, just not wet.

Dude.

Attendance hasn't appreciably increased since Dodge. And that is with Houston and Indiana and a new stadium to work with.

As a matter of fact, Didge jumped started attendance much more than Mac if you compare the first 2 years of both.

That may change this year. but only if we keep winning.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Just on Saturday my friend posted on FB that he got season tickets.

"How did you get to the front of the line?"

"What'd that run ya? $50 for the whole season? Bahahaha"

"Best $10 you have ever spent"

"We got a football team?"

All alumni from our time there when we were going to NO Bowls every year. These are the people Coach Mac is trying to reach and will keep trying to until he is blue in the face. What's pathetic is that he has to. All these guys are football fans, they watch college & NFL games. However, they can't be bothered to give a crap about their own university. Not even after the amazing year that was last season. Coach Mac asks even if you are the mildest fan ever, why not jump on board?

I cannot answer that question. Makes no sense to me. He is building something special here. There are still detractors on this board, heck, even in this post. As Coach Mac once said during a radio interview at Rudy's, "let's take the negativity out of it"

• Upvote 2

A few people have issues with Mac talking bad about the talent that was left here. Of course theres going to be some players out of 85 scholarships and any coach is going to make the most of what he has, but this team had a lot of holes and we still do. Team speed was horrible.

We are in the state of Texas and in one of the hottest areas for recruiting. Big guys are hard to come by so I can understand not having a lot of d linemen, but there is no excuse to not have speed and playmakers in this state.

Rbs, wrs, dbs, and lbs should not be hard to get in this area. Looking at how walk ons, transfers, and new recruits have come in and made an impact in those areas, it shows how bad of shape the team was left in. our top corners are a walk on, a juco, and a converted rb.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dude.

Attendance hasn't appreciably increased since Dodge. And that is with Houston and Indiana and a new stadium to work with.

As a matter of fact, Didge jumped started attendance much more than Mac if you compare the first 2 years of both.

That may change this year. but only if we keep winning.

We just set an all-time average attendance record, had the highest attended post-October game and homecoming game in HISTORY and had 38,000 UNT fans at a bowl game. On TV, we went from sideline to sideline with no empty seats. Bet your ass the SMU game is a sellout. What exactly is your point because you are clearly talking out of your ass again.

Edited by KingDL1 **** Please Refrain From these attacks *****

• Downvote 1

A few people have issues with Mac talking bad about the talent that was left here. Of course theres going to be some players out of 85 scholarships and any coach is going to make the most of what he has, but this team had a lot of holes and we still do. Team speed was horrible.

We are in the state of Texas and in one of the hottest areas for recruiting. Big guys are hard to come by so I can understand not having a lot of d linemen, but there is no excuse to not have speed and playmakers in this state.

Rbs, wrs, dbs, and lbs should not be hard to get in this area. Looking at how walk ons, transfers, and new recruits have come in and made an impact in those areas, it shows how bad of shape the team was left in. our top corners are a walk on, a juco, and a converted rb.

Lance Dunbar, Breland Chancellor, Derek Thompson, and Zach Orr (QB of your defense) were all Dodge recruits and figured prominently in the turnaround of this program. Three of those four are skill position players. One of those four is the freaking all time leading rusher for UNT (and his backup, also a Dodhe recruit, would be competing for the starting RB job this season).

To say Mac was left with a completely bare cupboard is just insanely inaccurate.

Don't buy into the coach speak. That's all it is.

• Upvote 3

We just set an all-time average attendance record, had the highest attended post-October game and homecoming game in HISTORY and had 38,000 UNT fans at a bowl game. On TV, we went from sideline to sideline with no empty seats. Bet your ass the SMU game is a sellout. What exactly is your point because you are clearly talking out of your ass again.

Only one way that happens: Beat UT.

I bet it will be a nice crowd if we don't beat UT, but not a sellout.

Lance Dunbar, Breland Chancellor, Derek Thompson, and Zach Orr (QB of your defense) were all Dodge recruits and figured prominently in the turnaround of this program. Three of those four are skill position players. One of those four is the freaking all time leading rusher for UNT (and his backup, also a Dodhe recruit, would be competing for the starting RB job this season).

To say Mac was left with a completely bare cupboard is just insanely inaccurate.

So Dodge left us with like, five players (amazing players though) and with the exception of Dunbar, they all underachieved with him. Your point, once again, is?

Dodge apologist.

• Downvote 3

I'm not criticizing what he did last year on the field and I think he did a fine job to get to 9. I am criticizing the way he gives himself credit to the extent that HE is North Texas football. Also, he talks as if North Texas beat the '85 Bears in the HoD bowl. He needs to be reminded that he is 18-19 here and we need to be shown more before we crown him prom king.

As for attendance, 2013 was the best home average attendance since it has been recorded, just over 21K.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm not criticizing what he did last year on the field and I think he did a fine job to get to 9. I am criticizing the way he gives himself credit to the extent that HE is North Texas football. Also, he talks as if North Texas beat the '85 Bears in the HoD bowl. He needs to be reminded that he is 18-19 here and we need to be shown more before we crown him prom king.

As for attendance, 2013 was the best home average attendance since it has been recorded, just over 21K.

As pathetic as this sounds, you do realize that last season was probably one of the best seasons in NT history? Like, ever?

And, yes, I know about the attendance. I just said that. 5300 came to our Spring Game. Number has doubled. Doing something right.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 1

Just on Saturday my friend posted on FB that he got season tickets.

"How did you get to the front of the line?"

"What'd that run ya? $50 for the whole season? Bahahaha"

"Best $10 you have ever spent"

"We got a football team?"

All alumni from our time there when we were going to NO Bowls every year. These are the people Coach Mac is trying to reach and will keep trying to until he is blue in the face. What's pathetic is that he has to. All these guys are football fans, they watch college & NFL games. However, they can't be bothered to give a crap about their own university. Not even after the amazing year that was last season. Coach Mac asks even if you are the mildest fan ever, why not jump on board?

I cannot answer that question. Makes no sense to me. He is building something special here. There are still detractors on this board, heck, even in this post. As Coach Mac once said during a radio interview at Rudy's, "let's take the negativity out of it"

Meh. I posted a picture from my seats of Facebook and got a few requests from people asking me to bring them to a game this year. I got none of that stuff like UNT who. At all. I've got people with no UNT connections at all who want to come. But then, I've been promoting the tailgate and the experience, including the bowl, hard for a long time.

• Upvote 2

Meh. I posted a picture from my seats of Facebook and got a few requests from people asking me to bring them to a game this year. I got none of that stuff like UNT who. At all. I've got people with no UNT connections at all who want to come. But then, I've been promoting the tailgate and the experience, including the bowl, hard for a long time.

Fair enough. But do they want to come in 2010?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So Dodge left us with like, five players (amazing players though) and with the exception of Dunbar, they all underachieved with him. Your point, once again, is?

Dodge apologist.

Good Lord.

I'm not a Dodge apologist. It's not one way or the other, junior.

Mac makes the job he faced seem much tougher than the tough job it was, and he does it to bolster his reputation, his legacy, and his future employment opportunities.

It's pretty standard in college football.

Sorry if you don't get that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT90, your hatred for Mac has shown today. I like your posts and think most people on here overreact about you, but I have to read your posts with underlying hate now.

I am sure you are a great fan and support unt, but you gotta watch a lot more football. Throwing out a few names dont make a football PROGRAM.

We are still hurting in the speed and athleticism area.

if we are going to take the term "bare" literally and say that there was not one good player on the whole team, then you have a point, but most people who follow sports gets what Mac was saying.

The Mac winning with dodge's recruits is hilarious to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Only one way that happens: Beat UT.

I bet it will be a nice crowd if we don't beat UT, but not a sellout.

One wonders sometimes how it is that we had a SRO crowd of 22,750 (and many were turned away) in 1990 vs SMU, when we were 1-AA, and it was the old crappy Fouts field in it's original 20500 configuration. We now have an absolute palace (compared to Fouts) of a stadium. We now have a much larger student population (there were about 20K in 1990) and (potentially) instant contact via social media with all our students, alums, and general fans. And yet we are not sure we will be able to fill this palace of a stadium, that is only 10K bigger than the 1990 Fouts vs the same opponent.

• Upvote 2

Good Lord.

I'm not a Dodge apologist. It's not one way or the other, junior.

Mac makes the job he faced seem much tougher than the tough job it was, and he does it to bolster his reputation, his legacy, and his future employment opportunities.

It's pretty standard in college football.

Sorry if you don't get that.

This was the worst job in college football, gramps. Sorry you're in too deep to get that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5