A look at UNT players with a lot to gain on Saturday

Harry

UNT’s spring game is scheduled for Saturday at Apogee Stadium. The game is always a key opportunity for players to make a move and improve their chances of playing heading into the fall.

Who are some of the players with the most to gain/lose?

Here’s a list and some thoughts on each player:

1A. Andrew McNulty – The story of the spring has been the quarterback battle between McNulty, Josh Greer and Dajon Williams. Right now it appears as if McNulty is slightly leading the race over Greer. A big game could help the McNulty secure the starting job heading into the fall.

But wait -- there's more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/04/a-look-at-players-with-a-lot-to-gain-on-saturday.html/

I am sure I'll get chastised for posting anything (at all, for any matter)....

BUT, you might want to add John Schilleci to that list... he has been playing 1's and 2's (at free safety and as a sophomore has a dream shot of proving himself this Saturday.

With Zed and Lee injured and David Busby quitting- he has a helluva opportunity to prove himself.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

did not know Busby quit either. DB's have been hit pretty hard this spring with Trice & Hilbert Jackson graduating, Lee , Zed, Chad Davis, and Jones hurt, Zac Whitfield getting sick, now Busby quitting. Time for others (like Schellici) to shine.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Someone ACTUALLY -1 my first post on here. Unbelievable.

I'LL FIND YOU.

You are feisty. Someone give her shoulder pads and a jersey! I think we found our new Nose Tackle.

Good luck to #19. I hope he does well and sees a lot of time on the field.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

did not know Busby quit either. DB's have been hit pretty hard this spring with Trice & Hilbert Jackson graduating, Lee , Zed, Chad Davis, and Jones hurt, Zac Whitfield getting sick, now Busby quitting. Time for others (like Schellici) to shine.

These situations are where you find out your depth for the current season and identify the potential starters for next season and beyond. It is great to build depth this way. We know that a lot of the injured guys can play and know the system, so I am in favor of building our depth. Great opportunity for the next guys to learn. I would rather we let our starters rest and give the next man up the chance to develop.

Edited by forevereagle

There are nine linebackers vying for two starting jobs and three second team spots. So I'll be watching Anthony Wallace, Scott, Jamal Marshall, A J Smith, Ellis, LaJaylin Smith, Brandon Davis and Minor. I love to watch linebackers.

In addition to Dilonga I'm also wanting to see Moore, Watson, Roberts and Flusche on the DL. One or more gets either a starting job or a lot of playing time.

Since defense is so important to this team, I also want to see if Warner will be a serious challenger for a starting position when Zed Evans returns in the fall.