What if it isn't a conspiracy?

BIG DAWG

First off you have no idea what the conference would have decided on had he and Mac's coaches claimed injury or hardship due to family or whatever that is used all the time to claim a hardship. The rules are so loose that Mac could have claimed stupidity on Dodges behalf as far as we know? It's doubtful but who knows. Second, what it for certain did was screw him out of a season of experience he could have used to prepare for the next 4.

It was a stupid decision and a wasteful one as well.

Rick, a 6th year is not the conference's decision to make, it's the NCAA's. And, as BillySee has proved numerous times in this thread, and I have proved in others, there is literally no possible way that DT could have received a 6th year of eligibility.

For the record, I was the idiot hollering at the stadium when Dodge put DT in and burned his redshirt. But when I later learned that there really were no other options left--I mean, seriously, every single QB on the roster was injured or sick except DT--I mellowed out.

And it all worked out to be a moot point anyway, so I really don't know why people have to keep beating this dead horse.

• Upvote 1

I'll continue to disagree. The conference is appealed to first and then the committee second. Also there is wording in there as I have pointed as well that allows a coaching staff to claim stupidity in regards to wrongful paperwork. They basically have a green light for anything. Of course 6th years are rare but not unheard of. I don't care other than the fact that when a poster..in this thread DallasGreen states DT could have ended up with more stats than he did had it not been for Dodge's decision, and someone comes back and days it had no bearing on his potential stats ,... Then I'm gonna disagree.

Actually, his stats got a nice padded start from that drive. And below you will find the regulations pertaining to a 6th year of eligibility. No conference has the right to grant a 6th year exemption without NCAA clearance.

NCAA Bylaw 14.2.1 - Five-Year Rule

A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For international students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

NCAA Bylaw 30.6.1 - Waiver Criteria

A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a student-athlete with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a five-year period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his/her sport within the five-year period. The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement reserves the right to review requests that do not meet the more-than-one-year criteria detailed in this bylaw for circumstances of extraordinary or extreme hardship. A student-athlete who has exhausted his or her five years of eligibility may continue to practice (but not compete) for a maximum of 30 consecutive calendar days, provided the student-athlete's institution has filed such a request. Further, if such a request is denied prior to exhausting the 30 day practice period, the student-athlete must cease all practice activities upon the institution's notification of the denial.

NCAA Bylaw 30.6.1.1 - Circumstances Beyond Control

Circumstances considered to be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution and do not cause a participation opportunity to be used shall include, but are not limited to, the following:

(a) Situations clearly supported by contemporaneous medical documentation, which states that a student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate competition as a result of incapacitating physical or mental circumstances;

(B) The student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate athletics as a result of a life-threatening or incapacitating injury or illness suffered by a member of the student-athlete's immediate family, which clearly is supported by contemporaneous medical documentation;

© Reliance by the student-athlete upon written, contemporaneous, clearly erroneous academic advice provided to the student-athlete from a specific academic authority from a collegiate institution regarding the academic status of the student-athlete or prospective student-athlete, which directly leads to that individual not being eligible to participate and, but for the clearly erroneous advice, the student-athlete would have established eligibility for intercollegiate competition;

(d) Natural disasters (e.g., earthquakes, flood); and

(e) Extreme financial difficulties as a result of a specific event (e.g. layoff, death in the family) experienced by the student-athlete or by an individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependent, which must prohibit the student-athlete from participating in intercollegiate athletics. These circumstances must be clearly supported by objective documentation (e.g., decree of bankruptcy, proof of termination) and must be beyond the control of the student-athlete or the individual upon whom the student-athlete is legally dependant.

NCAA Bylaw 30.6.1.2 - Circumstances Within Control

Circumstances that are considered to be within the control of the student-athlete or the institution and cause a participation opportunity to be used include, but are not limited to, the following:

(a) A student-athlete's decision to attend an institution that does not sponsor his/her sport, or decides not to participate at an institution that does sponsor his/her sport;

(B) An inability to participate due to failure to meet institutional/conference or NCAA academic requirements, or disciplinary reasons or incarceration culminating in or resulting from a conviction;

© Reliance by a student-athlete upon misinformation from a coaching staff member;

(d) Redshirt year;

(e) An inability to participate as a result of a transfer year in residence or fulfilling a condition for restoration eligibility; and

(f) A student-athlete's lack of understanding regarding the specific starting date of his or her five-year period of eligibility.

Here is an article on someone who would have been in exactly the same situation as DT had he kept his freshman RS on:

Jarreau would have to miss two full seasons of competition because of circumstances out of his control in order to be eligible for a hardship waiver that would grant him a sixth year of eligibility. Right now, that seems unlikely.

Jarreau tore the ACL in his right knee during Sunday night’s opener against Seattle University. He is out for the year.

That counts as his first lost year because of circumstances that are deemed out of his control.

When Jarreau redshirted in 2011-12, that was a season missed because of choice. In other words, circumstances under his control. It does not apply toward eligibility for a sixth year.

The only way Jarreau becomes eligible for the sixth-year waiver is if he misses another full season of competition, in addition to this year, because of circumstances out of his control, according to the University of Washington compliance office and NCAA bylaws.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/uwsports/2013/11/15/jarreau-not-qualified-to-receive-sixth-year-of-eligibility/

• Upvote 1

Actually, his stats got a nice padded start from that drive. And below you will find the regulations pertaining to a 6th year of eligibility. No conference has the right to grant a 6th year exemption without NCAA clearance.

Here is an article on someone who would have been in exactly the same situation as DT had he kept his freshman RS on:

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/uwsports/2013/11/15/jarreau-not-qualified-to-receive-sixth-year-of-eligibility/

Yeah I would have liked to have seen him pad his stats for 4 years instead of 3 and 1/4. Also, I deleted my original post before you responded because I rushed my answer .....(headed out the door to coach a softball game in which I'm happy to report your Weatherford Mean Green 10U softball team is now 5-1 on the season)...and realized I didn't state clearly that I was referring to a Medical Hardship Waver in regards to my comment..."The conference is appealed to first and then the committee second.". I wasn't thinking 6th year there.

Here is what I was referencing.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D110.pdf

14.2.4.2Administration of Hardship Waiver.

The hardship waiver shall be administered by the member

conferences of the Association or, in the case of an independent member institution, by the Committee on

Student-Athlete Reinstatement.

(Revised: 10/28/04, 4/20/09)

And in my earlier stab-in-the-dark reference to a possible 6th year mention the mishandling of paperwork by a coach I was referring to...

14.2.6season-of-Competition waiverCompetition while eligible.

A student-athlete may be granted an additional season of competition by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement in a case in

which the student-athlete participated in a limited amount of competition while eligible due to a coachs documented misunderstanding of the legislation or other extenuating circumstances. In cases in which a student-athlete does not meet the criteria of this waiver, the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement shall haveauthority to review and grant a waiver based on additional documented extenuating circumstances.

(Adopted:

4/25/02 effective 8/1/02, Revised: 10/28/04)

I was thinking this may have given DT an out during his third season under Mac to apply, claiming Dodge didn't know what he was doing however that couldn't have happened because down further the criteria reads...

...(a)The competition occurred while the student-athlete was representing an NCAA institution;

(b)The competition occurred prior to the completion of the first 20 percent of the championship segment

of the institutions declared playing and practice season; and

©The student-athlete did not compete in more than two events or 10 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institutions scheduled or completed events in his or her sport. All competition (including a scrimmage) against outside participants shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the

number of events in which the student-athlete participated and the number of scheduled or completed

events during that season (both segments) in the sport.

(Revised: 8/4/05).......

First 20 percent cancels that so I'm wrong on that idea, my bad.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1