What if it isn't a conspiracy?

BIG DAWG

Unless my memory fails me, he got a medical redshirt the year he broke his leg at army, so he burned one year of eligibility in 2009 (on about 6 snaps), medical redshirt in 2010, and then played 2011, 2012, and 2013. If he "still got to play 4 seasons" he would be our starting QB this fall as a 6th year senior...you know, as long as we left "north" off of the application to the NCAA.

He got a medical redshirt because he played in less than 1/3 of our games that season (2010) before the season-ending injury occurred.

The only way he could've received a medical redshirt in 2010 is if he had not redshirted up to that point, or if it was deemed that he had already redshirted a season due to a season-ending type injury. That's the basic outline of how it works. No case is exactly the same, which ultimately makes the rulings discretionary and hard to describe as common law, since precedent does not seen to be the major factor.

Even if DT had not had his redshirt burned in 2009 he still probably only would've been able to play through his 5th (redshirt senior) season. Since his redshirt would not have been due to injury, as evidenced by his ability to actually play in a game.

Maybe we didn't get the rule book stretched for us, but we didn't get gypped either. He got to accumulate stats in 5 seasons, including being a 3-year starter.

• Upvote 1

He got a medical redshirt because he played in less than 1/3 of our games that season (2010) before the season-ending injury occurred.

The only way he could've received a medical redshirt in 2010 is if he had not redshirted up to that point, or if it was deemed that he had already redshirted a season due to a season-ending type injury. That's the basic outline of how it works. No case is exactly the same, which ultimately makes the rulings discretionary and hard to describe as common law, since precedent does not seen to be the major factor.

Even if DT had not had his redshirt burned in 2009 he still probably only would've been able to play through his 5th (redshirt senior) season. Since his redshirt would not have been due to injury, as evidenced by his ability to actually play in a game.

Maybe we didn't get the rule book stretched for us, but we didn't get gypped either. He got to accumulate stats in 5 seasons, including being a 3-year starter.

DT would have been a RS Fr. when he broke his leg at army if dodge hadn't burned his redshirt at Arkansas state in 2009. Are you saying he would not have gotten the medical RS in 2010 if that were the case? We would've at least had a chance for an appeal. It's all ancient history now, but if that game against ASU had been for bowl eligibility or something like that no one would've ever complained.

• Upvote 1

DT would have been a RS Fr. when he broke his leg at army if dodge hadn't burned his redshirt at Arkansas state in 2009. Are you saying he would not have gotten the medical RS in 2010 if that were the case? We would've at least had a chance for an appeal. It's all ancient history now, but if that game against ASU had been for bowl eligibility or something like that no one would've ever complained.

Correct. Unless strings were pulled to make it seem that he had to redshirt his freshman year (09) due to injury. Which wouldn't have been true but, as you said, we would've maybe had a chance at an appeal. I don't think we would've won the appeal, and not just because we are North Texas. Very few schools, if any, would've won that appeal.

My point again is that we didn't get gypped and Dodge burning DT's redshirt in 09 is not the reason that his eligibility is up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, DT would not have been eligible for a 6th year under his circumstances. Only if he had sat out his true freshman year for medical reasons would he have had a shot at a 6th year.

If Dajon can't take hits in a scrimmage, how would he last for a season? There is a reason you put in work in the off-season. Maybe he will learn that some day. Maybe.

If Dajon wants to know about hard work, durability, and leadership, he can ask UNT's #1 All-Time FBS/D-I QB: Derek Thompson.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about DW to this point.

If Dajon can't take hits in a scrimmage, how would he last for a season? There is a reason you put in work in the off-season. Maybe he will learn that some day. Maybe.

If Dajon wants to know about hard work, durability, and leadership, he can ask UNT's #1 All-Time FBS/D-I QB: Derek Thompson.

You mean the guy who got his leg snapped in his first official start at Army as a sophomore? Yea... He'd probably call DJ a pussy.

"Snowy" posted that DW was injured in the scrimmage, and did not return to action.

I wonder why BV did not mention this in his minute by minute scrimmage blog reports?

Conner Means replaced DW for the remaining scrimmage game time.

He didn't mention it because it was not given official word to do so and it would be unprofessional to do otherwise. Mac seriously hates the rumor mill of injuries to create storylines, so unless explicitly given injury reports by the SID, or captilizing on other public avenues such as social media, he nor really should we do so.

Also, to the a$s#@7 who was incessantly taking cell phone videos of the scrimmage today and got called out by the Director of Operations for it, cut that crap out. Things like this is how we suddenly lose open practices. Have some respect out there, guys.

But as the injury is out there, I will step in to correct those who incorrectly prognosticate on what it could mean. No amount of winter workouts would have made that sack turn out differently; it was slow, deliberate, and came down awkwardly. If it was any other QB on our roster, it would be the same result. Edited by Christopher Walker

Correct. Unless strings were pulled to make it seem that he had to redshirt his freshman year (09) due to injury. Which wouldn't have been true but, as you said, we would've maybe had a chance at an appeal. I don't think we would've won the appeal, and not just because we are North Texas. Very few schools, if any, would've won that appeal.

My point again is that we didn't get gypped and Dodge burning DT's redshirt in 09 is not the reason that his eligibility is up.

SMU would have gotten it ala Raymon Flanigan. $$$$$$ talks

He didn't mention it because it was not given official word to do so and it would be unprofessional to do otherwise. Mac seriously hates the rumor mill of injuries to create storylines, so unless explicitly given injury reports by the SID, or captilizing on other public avenues such as social media, he nor really should we do so.

Also, to the a$s#@7 who was incessantly taking cell phone videos of the scrimmage today and got called out by the Director of Operations for it, cut that crap out. Things like this is how we suddenly lose open practices. Have some respect out there, guys.

But as the injury is out there, I will step in to correct those who incorrectly prognosticate on what it could mean. No amount of winter workouts would have made that sack turn out differently; it was slow, deliberate, and came down awkwardly. If it was any other QB on our roster, it would be the same result.

Shhh, you're ruining Wilford Brimley's...oops I mean TFLF's...story time about hard work and cane waving.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SMU would have gotten it ala Raymon Flanigan. $$$$$$ talks

Maybe money does talk, but his case was like I described. His original redshirt season as a true freshman was a medical one. Not just a traditional redshirt season. Then he had to take another medical redshirt. The NCAA usually gives 6 years in that case.

Maybe money does talk, but his case was like I described. His original redshirt season as a true freshman was a medical one. Not just a traditional redshirt season. Then he had to take another medical redshirt. The NCAA usually gives 6 years in that case.

What? His original redshirt season as a true freshman counted as a full season played by taking 6 snaps in the final 2 1/2 minutes of the Ark St game.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Right, which means that if Dodge hadn't played him for 6 or 8 plays in a game that didnt matter, we would have some stability at QB this year.

Thanks, football Trilli.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Mac has shown me that I can trust him to put the best players on the field. Or more accurately, the best prepared players on the field. You gotta earn your spot with him. I don't believe for a second that there is any nepotism going on.

Getting the best players on the field also includes recruiting them to come here first. I remain amazed that this coaching staff has not recruited a decent quarterback in 3 years. Same for defensive linemen. So personally, I don't trust them to put the best on the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Getting the best players on the field also includes recruiting them to come here first. I remain amazed that this coaching staff has not recruited a decent quarterback in 3 years. Same for defensive linemen. So personally, I don't trust them to put the best on the field.

So someone who leads his team to a JUCO championship isn't "decent". Got it.

Rick

Right, which means that if Dodge hadn't played him for 6 or 8 plays in a game that didnt matter, we would have some stability at QB this year.

Thanks, football Trilli.

No, I was talking about Ramon Flanigan in that post.

DT's original redshirt as a true freshman (which was burned, so didn't happen) would NOT have been a medical one. It would've just been a traditional redshirting of a true freshman to give him time to develop. So he wouldn't have received a 6th season, because he was healthy as a redshirt freshman and not redshirting because of injury.

Billy, give it up bro. 90 and others think that just because DT was injured he would have gotten a sixth year, like it is just automatic. They usually only do that if there were multiple injury years that cost the player a couple of seasons.

Exactly. There was only 1 true injury year. Haha, I have a hard time giving up these winless battles.