What if it isn't a conspiracy?

BIG DAWG

Well, yes.. Duh.

And Dodge didn't have the knowledge that DT would hurt himself in the second game (?) of the season the following year.

Stupidest and most desperate thing I have ever seen from UNT athletics.

But I am expecting Benford to somehow outdo it in a desperate attempt to keep his job next year.

Brilliant!!!

Billy, give it up bro. 90 and others think that just because DT was injured he would have gotten a sixth year, like it is just automatic. They usually only do that if there were multiple injury years that cost the player a couple of seasons.

No, that wasn't the point Dallas was making at all that got this started.

The fact is Thompson only got three full years to play when he could have had 4 years had Dodge not done what he did. No one can say for certain DT would have received a 6th year or not. But give Thompson a 4th year to add to his stats and he may well have been our all time leader in everything. He certainly could have and probably should have played or even started the entire 2009 season. It's just another coulda-shoulda-woulda's that we as fans like to hash out. Dodge made some crappy decisions while here and that one in Jonesboro was one of the worst that day.

Rick

Stupidest and most desperate thing I have ever seen from UNT athletics.

But there were so many to choose from. I seem to recall being on the opponents 5ish yard line, fourth down, down by more than three points, less than seven points, time wasting away in the fourth quarter, and we blow three timeouts looking at the sidelines trying to decide whether or not to go for it before finally deciding to kick, and missing it.

Edit: But that's nothing. Let's bitch about not having the second coming of Vinnie Testaverde on our current squad.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

But there were so many to choose from.

This below for me was the absolute worst because it defined the whole era under Dodge in 3 simple minutes and includes the play you were referring to with the double timeout.

NORTH TEXAS drive start at 05:29.

Nt 1-10 at Army36 PENALTY ARMY face mask (McNary, Josh) 15 yards to the ARMY21, 1ST DOWN NT.

Nt 1-10 at Army21 Dunbar, Lance rush for 3 yards to the ARMY18 (Marren, Brad).

Nt 2-7 at Army18 Dunbar, Lance rush for 6 yards to the ARMY12 (Prasnicki, C.).

Nt 3-1 at Army12 Dodge, Riley rush for loss of 4 yards to the ARMY16 (Erzinger, Steve).

Nt 4-5 at Army16 Timeout North Texas, clock 03:06.

Nt 4-5 at Army16 Timeout North Texas, clock 03:06.

Nt 4-5 at Army16 Knott, Jeremy field goal attempt from 33

BLOCKED, recovered by ARMY Hilton, Marcus at ARMY15 spot at ARMY15 (blocked by Hilton, Marcus), Erzinger, Steve for 23 yards to the ARMY38.

For those who don't realize the magnificent failure of this offensive series above allow me to lay it out for you.

Dodge refused to take a ball control mindset at any time in any situation and it cost him his job. I had railed on and on for two years about Dodge's refusal to have any under-the-center plays to use for short yardage situations. 2nd and inches?....shot gun snap 5 yards deep. 3rd and inches?...shotgun snap 5 yards deep. 4th and inches?...shotgun snap 5 yards deep.

In this game Dunbar was rarely used early on but found his groove in the second half with a 68 yard touchdown run and would end up with 110 yards of his 135 in the 4th quarter alone. So here in the series above and leading 13-7 and Dunbar hammering what basically was a division 1-AA -sized D line, Lance gets us down to a 3rd and 1 at the Army 12 yard line with 3:06 remaining. So what does Football Trilli do? He calls TWO back-to back timeouts that keeps time on the clock for Army to get to the grand decision of........(SURPRISE)..... a shotgun snap 5 yards deep resulting in Riley Dodge rolling out and taking a 4 yard loss. And since we've blown our timeouts we have to rush onto the field on 4th and 5 for a 33 yard field goal attempt that gets blocked and taken the other way for for 23 yards leading to the game winner for Army.

You can't make this shit up. The perfect example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory all because the man absolutely REFUSED to have the most simplistic, elementary play in the history of football in his play book.

Still upsets me to to his day.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4

He should have been fired after that game.

But we are UNT.

This game told me a lot about the competitive nature of my loving wife. As you can only imagine what it must be like married to me as she has been more than sensitive to my fanaticism for NT and an understanding only a loving spouse can have. After that game we walked down on the field and Army and the Mean Green were exchanging respects for each other's school songs as you've seen them do, and I say to my wife..."I guess I can swallow this loss considering it came to a bunch of guys who may be putting their lives on the line for us one day". And my wife immediately turned around to me with that stare you get when you accidentally leave the toilet seat up at night and said... "Im never watching another game until Todd Dodge is gone!", then turned and walked straight to the truck. And she held to that promise. Her next game was Mac's debut against Houston two years later.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

He lost 1 year due to injury. He was here for 5. He could've had 6 if he had been injured for 2 full seasons. He was not.

The redshirting fiasco was irrelevant in the end. Football hate Dodge for many things, but that situation is not one worth holding a grudge against him over.

No it wasn't irrelevant. It blew three months of playing time he could have had for experience, timing, maturity, and on and on and on. And most of all it exposed Dodge's inexperience as a head coach.

Rick

I think if Billy would put "in hindsight" in front of his most recent posts in this thread, we would all agree.

Problem is, Dodge couldn't see into the future, and still chose himself over the program. Dodge's 2009 (following his 2007 and 2008) would have gotten any other coach at any other FBS school fired immediately after the season.

Sadly, we aren't any other FBS school.

• Downvote 1

What if McNulty is the best QB?

From the scrimmage notes I read from today he seemed to be better than the other two.

What if all the arm chair QBs from the board are wrong??? I mean we have all seen the kid play all of about 20 snaps??? (Less than 5 of those being passes)

BTW...I'm in the group that wants Dajon...but I want to win games more though.

I'll definitely be at the Spring Game to get my own look, but looks like McNulty might be winning this thing. Wouldn't that be a crap storm on this board?!?!

I've said this many times but I thought that McNulty was the best choice (just slightly ahead of DT) at the end of last spring's practice.

Greer has gotten better since I first saw him on the first day of practice. But don't be surprised if Connor Means makes it a real contest by the end of fall practice.

• Upvote 1

You mean the guy who got his leg snapped in his first official start at Army as a sophomore? Yea... He'd probably call DJ a pussy.

Let's see here...Dajon, injured in practice; Derek, injured during a game.

I see the difference. Dajon will never be the starter because he gets injured in practice. Derek somehow made it through the rigors of practices and scrimmages and started a few ball games over the years.

I see where you're going with this.

I've said this many times but I thought that McNulty was the best choice (just slightly ahead of DT) at the end of last spring's practice.

Greer has gotten better since I first saw him on the first day of practice. But don't be surprised if Connor Means makes it a real contest by the end of fall practice.

The coaches have specifically said that Means has been taken out of the competition.

Let's see here...Dajon, injured in practice; Derek, injured during a game.

I see the difference. Dajon will never be the starter because he gets injured in practice. Derek somehow made it through the rigors of practices and scrimmages and started a few ball games over the years.

I see where you're going with this.

To be fair... At the same point in DT's career he was experiencing Todge's sissy practices.

• Upvote 1

No it wasn't irrelevant. It blew three months of playing time he could have had for experience, timing, maturity, and on and on and on. And most of all it exposed Dodge's inexperience as a head coach.

Rick

Bringing back an old post to stop this madness.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

No idea what this means as I have never claimed the 6th year arguement?

Rick

I just wanted it to be clear that DT playing that series against Arky State did not in any way ultimately effect his ability to play for us in 2014. He would have had to been injured that true freshman year and he was only bound for the standard redshirt.

I just wanted it to be clear that DT playing that series against Arky State did not in any way ultimately effect his ability to play for us in 2014. He would have had to been injured that true freshman year and he was only bound for the standard redshirt.

First off you have no idea what the conference would have decided on had he and Mac's coaches claimed injury or hardship due to family or whatever that is used all the time to claim a hardship. The rules are so loose that Mac could have claimed stupidity on Dodges behalf as far as we know? It's doubtful but who knows. Second, what it for certain did was screw him out of a season of experience he could have used to prepare for the next 4.

It was a stupid decision and a wasteful one as well.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Summation of this thread:

1. Dodge is NT's official boogey man

2. DT should've gotten a 6th year

3. McNulty has a picture of Coach Mac in a compromising position

My take:

1. Dodge is WORSE than NT's boogeyman

2. DT is gone, get over it

3. Someone please take that picture away from Mini-Mac!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1