What if it isn't a conspiracy?

BIG DAWG

What if McNulty is the best QB?

From the scrimmage notes I read from today he seemed to be better than the other two.

What if all the arm chair QBs from the board are wrong??? I mean we have all seen the kid play all of about 20 snaps??? (Less than 5 of those being passes)

BTW...I'm in the group that wants Dajon...but I want to win games more though.

I'll definitely be at the Spring Game to get my own look, but looks like McNulty might be winning this thing. Wouldn't that be a crap storm on this board?!?!

Edited by BIG DAWG
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

It would be bad for this football program and indicate a lack of talent at the QB position.

I think either Greer or DW wins the job.

You're my point...I was specifically hoping you would bite!

What are your credentials to make such a statement?

• Upvote 4

Arm strength. Turnovers.

We've seen a lack of one and a multitude of the other when he has taken the field. I believe the one meaningful pass he threw last season was intercepted. In the red zone.

Unless he has magically increased his arm strength by 20%, we will be hurting at that position. No one recruited this kid to play QB because of his arm.

I'll be rooting for him if he turns out to be the starter, of course, but I'll also know that we are woefully under talented at the QB position.

My credentials are I'm a UNT fan. On a UNT fan board. This isn't quantum physics. It's a football fan board.

Where we talk about things like this...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

McNutly looked the best from what I watched today.

Dajon has had poopy preparation (workouts) and it is showing on the field.

Greer looked okay, but a little slow to make decisions and release the ball on a few times.

McNutly made good passes and few mistakes.

edit-

Also, Dajon got hurt today. Got sacked from behind and had to be helped off. Looked like it was his knee. He put zero pressure on it when coming off and did not return the rest of the scrimmage. Connor Means took his place, and looked okay but missed on too many passes.

Edited by Snowy

Yeah, he might have the weakest arm of all 5 or 6 QB's on the roster. Does he know the offense? Yes, absolutely. Rex Rollins knows the offense too, doesn't mean he's going to be our starting QB. From the way spring is going and the white noise coming out of spring ball it appears that Greer has penciled himself in as the starter. I don't think a guy will be named until fall camp. I think they want to give DW a fall camp shot, but as of now I personally think Greer is topping the depth chart. This is all speculation of course and I hope I am dead wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Maybe McNulty could somehow become real accurate with a below average arm. What was the kid's name from Boise a few years ago? Seems like his name started with a K.

It's not likely, but I would think that would be the best case scenario for someone with McNulty's arm strength.

From what I saw today, this has become a two man race. I'm not saying Williams can't get back into it in the Fall, but I think he will need to really gain a better understanding of the system. He has the most talent. McNulty and Greer both looked better today. McNulty was a little better then Greer in my opinion, but don't read too much into that statement. There is still plenty of time before the season starts in Austin.

Other observations from today...

Sid Ellis, Fred Scott, and Erick Evans all made impressive plays today.

Our defense is still good and forcing turnovers.

This team is not a full strength, but shows flashes of last seasons team. That is encouraging.

Should be a fun Spring Game next Saturday.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, he might have the weakest arm of all 5 or 6 QB's on the roster. Does he know the offense? Yes, absolutely. Rex Rollins knows the offense too, doesn't mean he's going to be our starting QB. From the way spring is going and the white noise coming out of spring ball it appears that Greer has penciled himself in as the starter. I don't think a guy will be named until fall camp. I think they want to give DW a fall camp shot, but as of now I personally think Greer is topping the depth chart. This is all speculation of course and I hope I am dead wrong.

My only time to see Little MAC in a full game was in 2011 against Tulsa. It was not a pretty sight. If Osborne doesn't throw two TDs in the 4th quarter, the game is a total rout. I agree with Vito's comments on pre scrimmage whether those on this board will admit it or not DT left some big shoes to fill. There was a reason that in just three seasons( Dodge blew his first season by playing him @ ASU) that DTs stats rank him as the # 2 QB in UNT history.

"Snowy" posted that DW was injured in the scrimmage, and did not return to action.

I wonder why BV did not mention this in his minute by minute scrimmage blog reports?

Conner Means replaced DW for the remaining scrimmage game time.

Hopefully DW's injury is not too serious. Maybe wear a knee brace for a day, then be ready

to go again. I do want to see for myself, the most gifted player on the field next Saturday.

The QB race needs all of the QB candidates competing.

My only time to see Little MAC in a full game was in 2011 against Tulsa. It was not a pretty sight. If Osborne doesn't throw two TDs in the 4th quarter, the game is a total rout. I agree with Vito's comments on pre scrimmage whether those on this board will admit it or not DT left some big shoes to fill. There was a reason that in just three seasons( Dodge blew his first season by playing him @ ASU) that DTs stats rank him as the # 2 QB in UNT history.

DT received a medical redshirt. He still got to play 4 seasons after the infamous redshirt burning.

It's hard as a fan not to look at upside and potential more than we should. At least it is for me. Personally, I think that if DW is ready to step up and lead by example in preparation (as he seemed to after some harsh words on Coach Wintrich's reports), then I am willing to struggle through his learning curve and throw him into the deep end in Austin. But, from the practice reports (I haven't been able to attend any practices, so I'm not the best judge), it seems like Greer or MacNulty may give us the best chance to win at the start of this upcoming year and it could be very good for the program to sustain winning football immediately after losing so many key contributors.

You can count me in the group that says I believe the coaches will make the right decision and I will choose to expect the best from whoever wins the job.

You're my point...I was specifically hoping you would bite!

What are your credentials to make such a statement?

My opinion is based on the game at Tulsa a couple of years ago where I had very good seats. I know it's shortsighted, but I just can't get that performance out of my mind. If he's our starter I sure hope he has reinvented himself.

• Upvote 1

My opinion is based on the game at Tulsa a couple of years ago where I had very good seats. I know it's shortsighted, but I just can't get that performance out of my mind. If he's our starter I sure hope he has reinvented himself.

He was a true Freshman, and he is not the type of athletic talent to come right out of one year of starting in high school and rock it against a speedy D1 defense.

I don't think that's cause to worry.

• Upvote 2

DT received a medical redshirt. He still got to play 4 seasons after the infamous redshirt burning.

Unless my memory fails me, he got a medical redshirt the year he broke his leg at army, so he burned one year of eligibility in 2009 (on about 6 snaps), medical redshirt in 2010, and then played 2011, 2012, and 2013. If he "still got to play 4 seasons" he would be our starting QB this fall as a 6th year senior...you know, as long as we left "north" off of the application to the NCAA.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe McNulty could somehow become real accurate with a below average arm. What was the kid's name from Boise a few years ago? Seems like his name started with a K.

It's not likely, but I would think that would be the best case scenario for someone with McNulty's arm strength.

Kellen Moore

Unless my memory fails me, he got a medical redshirt the year he broke his leg at army, so he burned one year of eligibility in 2009 (on about 6 snaps), medical redshirt in 2010, and then played 2011, 2012, and 2013. If he "still got to play 4 seasons" he would be our starting QB this fall as a 6th year senior...you know, as long as we left "north" off of the application to the NCAA.

This is correct. Dodge wasted a year of eligibility on the last quarter of the last game, which was unwinnable, of a terrible season.

He should have put in anyone else. Yes, I know DT was the only QB left, but he could have ran the wildcat the last 2 series.

I really really football hated Dodge at that point and really wanted us to fire him at the end of that year (wasn't Army awesome?). But. as is currently being demonstrated, we don't fire people until year four, regardless of how deserving they are to be fired.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1