Kelvin Gaines leaving UNT for pro career

Harry

How would his transfer eligibility have worked. He came here with the rare case of not just being a grad transfer, but being a grad transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining.

That grad transfer rule works by saying that you have to transfer because the school you got your degree from did not offer the grad program that you want. He couldn't make that claim anymore, so I don't think he could transfer if he wanted to.

• Upvote 1

There has to be something more. I'm more then a bit perplexed. I assume he is going over seas and playing. But why after transferring to continue your career. I'm guessing someone liked what they saw in him playing this year and made him an offer. More to the story?

Have some class people. Obviously he was skilled enough to have a full scholarship playing college sports. Now he is going overseas to play basketball (just assuming). It is clear he did something right. There is a reason tasty sits behind a computer screen while others coach and scout games. Have a little respect for our players and stop putting them down. Be happy someone took a look at him and he gets to continue playing basketball after college. It is more then any of us could say. We should be happy he chose to transfer to UNT and play here. Even if it was just for a year.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2

Have some class people. Obviously he was skilled enough to have a full scholarship playing college sports. Now he is going overseas to play basketball (just assuming). It is clear he did something right. There is a reason tasty sits behind a computer screen while others coach and scout games. Have a little respect for our players and stop putting them down. Be happy someone took a look at him and he gets to continue playing basketball after college. It is more then any of us could say. We should be happy he chose to transfer to UNT and play here. Even if it was just for a year.

Ever wonder why he left?

Have some class people. Obviously he was skilled enough to have a full scholarship playing college sports. Now he is going overseas to play basketball (just assuming). It is clear he did something right. There is a reason tasty sits behind a computer screen while others coach and scout games. Have a little respect for our players and stop putting them down. Be happy someone took a look at hi and he gets to continue playing basketball after college. It is more then any of is could say. We should be happy he chose us to transfer for to. Even if it was just for a year.

I wish him nothing but the best. The guy has a degree, which is great, and he has height, which could actually get him tryouts to play for money somewhere in the world. I hope he succeeds.

I just think you're an idiot. Most recently, for speculating that Euro scouts were chasing him down after a season where he scored one basket in 3 games and 3 baskets in one other.

One of two things happened here: Either Gaines decided he didn't want to play for Benford any more (it's happened before!) or Benford was going to push him out of his scholarship (it's happened before!) and rather than go to a D2 or NAIA school to play one more year, Gaines is just moving on with his life. He's already used a redshirt year and he already has a college degree. No sense wasting a year of his life at Cape Girardeau College for a year just to cling to basketball.

Ever wonder why he left?

To make money? If this is the assumption then why wouldn't our best players ever leave? (Outside of Mitchell who had a very very bright future ahead). It's not a big lose for us but still. He donated his time to us so we should be happy for him and not make assumptions that Benford ran him off.

Let's hope this kid from Wyoming can play at this level.

I wish him nothing but the best. The guy has a degree, which is great, and he has height, which could actually get him tryouts to play for money somewhere in the world. I hope he succeeds.

I just think you're an idiot. Most recently, for speculating that Euro scouts were chasing him down after a season where he scored one basket in 3 games and 3 baskets in one other.

One of two things happened here: Either Gaines decided he didn't want to play for Benford any more (it's happened before!) or Benford was going to push him out of his scholarship (it's happened before!) and rather than go to a D2 or NAIA school to play one more year, Gaines is just moving on with his life. He's already used a redshirt year and he already has a college degree. No sense wasting a year of his life at Cape Girardeau College for a year just to cling to basketball.

I didn't assume that euro scouts were watching him this year. I am confused by Vito's article. No clue why they would but it reads as if someone somewhere was interested in him. Height or play who knows...

Unless this just means he is leaving to start a professional career as in police officer or accountant. The article is a bit confusing to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To make money? If this is the assumption then why wouldn't our best players ever leave? (Outside of Mitchell who had a very very bright future ahead). It's not a big lose for us but still. He donated his time to us so we should be happy for him and not make assumptions that Benford ran him off.

Not that I don't wish him success in his future endeavors, but somehow I think we donated more to him than he donated to us. On the other hand I can imagine that playing for Benny can be quite a sacrifice.

• Upvote 3

So he is one of our best players now?

Not shocked that your analysis never scratches the surface.

• Upvote 2

He's clearly being shoved off of the roster. They could have phrased it many ways... School's cutting ties with him, he's giving up the game, homesick, family difficulties, personal difficulties, ect. They chose the odd "kid who never produced on a team without any viable bigs is going pro" route.

• Upvote 3

Another thing this move does is make our 2015 recruiting class potentially smaller. Maybe just 6 spots to fill next year, rather than 7. But that's not how it has worked under Benford.

In 2013 we only NEEDED to fill 5 spots with 4 seniors and Tony Mitchell, but after departures we ended up signing 7 guys (really we signed 11 guys, with 4 not making it in). This year we only NEEDED to fill 4 spots with 3 seniors and 1 open scholarship. So far we already have signed 5, and it just doesn't feel like we're done.

Another thing this move does is make our 2015 recruiting class potentially smaller. Maybe just 6 spots to fill next year, rather than 7. But that's not how it has worked under Benford.

In 2013 we only NEEDED to fill 5 spots with 4 seniors and Tony Mitchell, but after departures we ended up signing 7 guys (really we signed 11 guys, with 4 not making it in). This year we only NEEDED to fill 4 spots with 3 seniors and 1 open scholarship. So far we already have signed 5, and it just doesn't feel like we're done.

From stability to instability in 2 years.

Brilliant!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

He's clearly being shoved off of the roster. They could have phrased it many ways... School's cutting ties with him, he's giving up the game, homesick, family difficulties, personal difficulties, ect. They chose the odd "kid who never produced on a team without any viable bigs is going pro" route.

So we recruit a guy that can't play and shove him off the roster one year later. And not some high school guy, but a guy who had already played college ball for a couple of years.

Anyone else worry about talent evaluation?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

From stability to instability in 2 years.

Brilliant!!

Yep! And don't see it getting any better unless there is a miracle. There will never be any connection, a bond between the fans and players who are here one, two years and gone. Benford's teams will never be our team. They may wear the green and white but they will only be playing for themselves and never the school, students or alumni. What a mess!!!

• Upvote 1

Who really cares? I honestly don't anymore.

Whoa Whoa Whoa!! Hey this is OUR school, OUR University not RV's or Benfords. They are "only" employees, not alumni, and everyone needs to recognize and understand that and as such these people need to be held ACCOUNTABLE to us for the decisions they make because those decisions directly affect us and the image of OUR University.

When a basketball coach makes more money in two years than my family makes in almost a decade and I am suppose to buy season tickets, attend games, recruit fans, etc. then I want winning results for my investment of time and money. And you should too! If not for the money then for the pride you have for the University. Not three or four years down the road and not for only a year or two. And when people on the payroll make "poor decisions" they need to be held accountable!

Its disturbs me to read comments on this board that if we all pitch in so much money maybe we can buy out Benford's contract. What? Why should we all pay for someone elses poor decisions? For example, lets restructure the contracts of those responsible so we can fire Benford now. If they don't like it they can hit the highway. This acquiescent attitude so many of us have really needs to stop. This is OUR University. Stand up, comb your hair, straighten your tie and demand that those making the decisions and the money be held accountable!!

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 4