McNulty utilizing experience in QB race

Harry

When a player doesn't reach his potential it is because of coaching, or lack thereof. That's uhh...a coaches job.

So I guess you would also say:

"When a STUDENT doesn't reach his potential it is because of "TEACHING", or lack thereof. Thats' uhh.......a teacher's job."

Do you really believe that "crapola"?

As a teacher with 38 years of experience, let me suggest that what you have said is pure and simple crapola!

It crapola to interject the notion that coaches are singularly responsible for a player reaching his or her potential...........I don't want to openly pick on a player by name, but there is a player on the Mean Green defense that coaches have repeatedly tried to light a "far" under his rather substantial butt and to no avail.

When does the coach's/teacher's "job" end and the player's/student's "personal responsibility" for reaching their potential begin?

GMG

• Upvote 6

So I guess you would also say:

"When a STUDENT doesn't reach his potential it is because of "TEACHING", or lack thereof. Thats' uhh.......a teacher's job."

Do you really believe that "crapola"?

As a teacher with 38 years of experience, let me suggest that what you have said is pure and simple crapola!

It crapola to interject the notion that coaches are singularly responsible for a player reaching his or her potential...........I don't want to openly pick on a player by name, but there is a player on the Mean Green defense that coaches have repeatedly tried to light a "far" under his rather substantial butt and to no avail.

When does the coach's/teacher's "job" end and the player's/student's "personal responsibility" for reaching their potential begin?

GMG

Good question. What is the answer to that in your classroom?

These situations (unmotivated players) remindsw me of the story that I think GreyEagle told once about how players got a ship at NT during the Odus Mitchell days. Every player had to come to the athletic offices and actually try out before they were offered a ship. Even Joe Greene had to do this.

• Upvote 2

These situations (unmotivated players) remindsw me of the story that I think GreyEagle told once about how players got a ship at NT during the Odus Mitchell days. Every player had to come to the athletic offices and actually try out before they were offered a ship. Even Joe Greene had to do this.

It is a good question, but this is the QB position we are talking about. If we were discussing a potential game changing safety then there is a point where the coach has to refocus his energy in another direction for the betterment of the team. But when a game changing QB that can potentially change the outcome of couple games then there is no right time to essentially give up on that player. Coaches have to create new thresholds of patience and do what they have to do, because in the end it will be for the betterment of the team. As far as a classroom student, sure a teacher has to push certain individuals, but at the end of the day that student is failing him/herself. Their actions will not directly affect thousands of people.

I have been teaching economics at a community college for 38 years (and have loved every minute of it).

A student walks into my classroom and I perceive him/her as a student that wants to not only pass my class, but also is there to achieve academic success beyond my class, and succeed in life (whether that is the desire for a large income, accumulating wealth, earning prestige, being a contributor to society instead of being satisfied with "sitting on the bench" of life, etc.).

I, like most (but not all) of the teachers I know, will bust-a-gut to help a student be successful in my class. BG's "motivation" and "creativity" type responsibilities that he is heaping upon coaches is likewise heaped upon me. Great. I get it. I agree.

But to hold me totally responsible for the success of every single student that walks through my door (or in McCarney's case, every single player in the lockerroom) is not facing reality........I cannot "reach" every student; I cannot create "ability"; I cannot force realization of "potential" upon every student - I can motivate only those who have a willingness to be motivated - and even motivation by itself is not enough.........obviously motivation must be coupled with ability.

There is a point where I have to just say "great potential is there; for whatever reason - and certainly not from a lack of trying on my part - this student needs to find a "Fry Street" (that is from yours and my days at NTSU, Silver) where he/she can try to find what they are looking for in life............and like so many, so many, of our professors that we had in those days, eventually find the purpose and drive that, ultimately, leads to success in their lives (I have visited with so many university professors over my life and a relatively common element among them was the need for "failure" and then the need for time to "find themselves".

One of my colleagues put it very succinctly (and I think this carries over to coaches as well):

"In teaching my students

there is a point at which I am no longer willing to work

any harder on the student's behalf

than the student is willing to work

to achieve his own success."

I would certainly expect that coaches have this same philosophy - Can't light that fire under their butt after repeatedly trying to do so? Then it is time to move on to those who do have the drive to succeed.

My problem with BG's statement was the ABSOLUTE message in the statement that he made. One thing we all learn and he will, too, is that there are very few absolutes.

Edited by tylermeangreen
  • Upvote 3

I've been saying Lil' Mac will be the starter since the end of last season. The writing's on the wall. Mac wants a QB to stay 100% within his system and minimize mistakes. Experience is the biggest factor for a Mac guy, IMO. Who of the 3 QBs has the most time in it? Yep, you guessed it...

I've been saying Lil' Mac will be the starter since the end of last season. The writing's on the wall. Mac wants a QB to stay 100% within his system and minimize mistakes. Experience is the biggest factor for a Mac guy, IMO. Who of the 3 QBs has the most time in it? Yep, you guessed it...

This is the only caveat that gives me hope that it wont be McNulty.

Exactly. Greer is probably the safer bet. McNulty, though in limited action, has been turnover prone. Lack of arm strength at the QB position tends to do that...

Greer needs to work on having a quicker release. He's just too deliberate with his throwing action....and that makes for a bad situation when he tries to throw it in tight coverage.

If we can't have a consistent DW, then to me, either McNulty or Greer with a Shambour release would be ideal.

I have heard the name over and over. I know he was a very talented QB for McCarney at Iowa St. Was he a QB that was allowed to freelance and do his own thing or was he held back and forced to bus drive by the very conservative Coach McCarney?

You tell me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gPOl_F8HQ

• Upvote 2

I have heard the name over and over. I know he was a very talented QB for McCarney at Iowa St. Was he a QB that was allowed to freelance and do his own thing or was he held back and forced to bus drive by the very conservative Coach McCarney?

I'd say he could 'freelance' a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= i7gPOl_F8HQ

EDIT: What do they say about great minds, Forever? :lol:

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

I have been teaching economics at a community college for 38 years (and have loved every minute of it).

A student walks into my classroom and I perceive him/her as a student that wants to not only pass my class, but also is there to achieve academic success beyond my class, and succeed in life (whether that is the desire for a large income, accumulating wealth, earning prestige, being a contributor to society instead of being satisfied with "sitting on the bench" of life, etc.).

I, like most (but not all) of the teachers I know, will bust-a-gut to help a student be successful in my class. BG's "motivation" and "creativity" type responsibilities that he is heaping upon coaches is likewise heaped upon me. Great. I get it. I agree.

But to hold me totally responsible for the success of every single student that walks through my door (or in McCarney's case, every single player in the lockerroom) is not facing reality........I cannot "reach" every student; I cannot create "ability"; I cannot force realization of "potential" upon every student - I can motivate only those who have a willingness to be motivated - and even motivation by itself is not enough.........obviously motivation must be coupled with ability.

There is a point where I have to just say "great potential is there; for whatever reason - and certainly not from a lack of trying on my part - this student needs to find a "Fry Street" (that is from yours and my days at NTSU, Silver) where he/she can try to find what they are looking for in life............and like so many, so many, of our professors that we had in those days, eventually find the purpose and drive that, ultimately, leads to success in their lives (I have visited with so many university professors over my life and a relatively common element among them was the need for "failure" and then the need for time to "find themselves".

One of my colleagues put it very succinctly (and I think this carries over to coaches as well):

"In teaching my students

there is a point at which I am no longer willing to work

any harder on the student's behalf

than the student is willing to work

to achieve his own success."

I would certainly expect that coaches have this same philosophy - Can't light that fire under their butt after repeatedly trying to do so? Then it is time to move on to those who do have the drive to succeed.

My problem with BG's statement was the ABSOLUTE message in the statement that he made. One thing we all learn and he will, too, is that there are very few absolutes.

Yep...some folks try to use the same crap-ola logic on the basketball board as well. As the saying goes..."you can lead a horse to water.....". At some point a player/student just has to "want to" play his best, give it his best effort, work hard, do the work necessary to learn the matter at hand, etc. at some point the individual must take the coaching/teaching and do something with it for him or herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXNKYKde6K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoAR7IDiI18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYVmgwQgq3w

Funny.

What I see is a much more talented QB than we have ever had at UNT running the same offense that we ran last year.

I'm sure if any QB on our roster could "throw as well going to his left as he does going to his right" and "only runs the ball when there are no other options" and was "Charlie Ward with speed", that QB would have sewed up the #1 spot by now.

What you have to ask yourself is will Mac allow a QB more talented than the others, but a QB that takes risks to lead this offense.

And it is a very legitimate question, especially if McNulty wins the job (considering DW beat him out as a true freshman last year)

• Upvote 1

Funny.

What I see is a much more talented QB than we have ever had at UNT running the same offense that we ran last year.

I'm sure if any QB on our roster could "throw as well going to his left as he does going to his right" and "only runs the ball when there are no other options" and was "Charlie Ward with speed", that QB would have sewed up the #1 spot by now.

What you have to ask yourself is will Mac allow a QB more talented than the others, but a QB that takes risks to lead this offense.

And it is a very legitimate question, especially if McNulty wins the job (considering DW beat him out as a true freshman last year)

The question was if he was allowed to improvise. From the videos, it looks like the answer is yes. Not sure if it applies to the current roster, but Mac has started a QB that he allowed to improvise before and had success with that guy. Not making a commentary on our situation, just providing an answer to the question posed.

Yeah, this is the potential, DW is not as fast as Seneca, but is the same type of player. I can say this with the utmost confidence, DW as our starter will put at least if not more W's in the win column as Greer or McNulty, but he'll do it with excitement.

Prove it.

Prove it.

Hopefully the coaching staff will prove it. We are 6-6 with Greer or McNulty, if one of them win the job they will also prove it. North Texas very well may be 6-6 with DW, but I bet not. There is not enough statistical data on either 3 to prove anything right now, but 6-6 if Greer or McNulty is named the starter. We will lose every game we are "suppose" to lose. You will see.

Hopefully the coaching staff will prove it. We are 6-6 with Greer or McNulty, if one of them win the job they will also prove it. North Texas very well may be 6-6 with DW, but I bet not. There is not enough statistical data on either 3 to prove anything right now, but 6-6 if Greer or McNulty is named the starter. We will lose every game we are "suppose" to lose. You will see.

I just don't see how you can make proclamations like this. You say that there is not enough statistical data on any of the 3 QBs to prove anything right now, and in the next sentence you say we will go 6-6 if Greer or McNulty are given the starting job. I understand that we haven't had a real athletic dual threat QB in our recent history and it would be really exciting if we had one. So I'm just wondering if that is what is fueling your confidence in DW or do you know something more that the rest of us don't? And HS game highlights don't count, most average to above average HS players can come up with enough good plays in a season to put a highlight tape together.

• Upvote 6

I just don't see how you can make proclamations like this. You say that there is not enough statistical data on any of the 3 QBs to prove anything right now, and in the next sentence you say we will go 6-6 if Greer or McNulty are given the starting job. I understand that we haven't had a real athletic dual threat QB in our recent history and it would be really exciting if we had one. So I'm just wondering if that is what is fueling your confidence in DW or do you know something more that the rest of us don't? And HS game highlights don't count, most average to above average HS players can come up with enough good plays in a season to put a highlight tape together.

I have nothing. To be honest just assumptions. Having an athlete as QB gives a team a leg up. Athleticism can be a great neutralizer against inexperience.

Yep, and that athletic QB everyone wanted last year is off to another (third) school still looking to find a school that will utilize his talents instead of trying to mold his talents into a system. It is funny to me that some posters question a successful coach that has coached longer than they have been alive. I know that is part of 4he profession, but my goodness some of these arguments are funny to me. Many also criticize his overall record without even considering the condition of the programs he took over. Spurrier and Saban's egos would never allow them to even try to turn around programs like NT or ISU.

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah? Go look up South Carolina's track record before Spurrier arrived. Not to mention Spurrier won the first and only ACC conference championship at Duke in 89 I believe. Not too mention what Spurrier did at Florida. He has literally built up the program every he has went.

Edited by Ben Gooding