2014 The Big Preview : North Texas

NT03

Wow...the most thorough coverage of NT football I've ever read.

The 2014 team will have to develop a different personality in so many ways.

The impact of the special teams and the defensive line play really jumps off the page as being positives that will be incredibly difficult to duplicate with the roster changes we've experienced.

Special Teams - The numbers noted in this article back up the eye test we all enjoyed. Chancelor was a game-changer the likes of which few others in the nation were last season. The field position advantages he afforded us (not to mention the special teams scores) can't be overlooked.

Dline - We were lower than national average from a "Need to Blitz" standpoint, so our secondary was protected by the Dline's ability to produce pressure themselves.

So, how does the new squad compensate for a drop in production in these areas?

The highly-debated need for a dynamic player under center? A more aggressive defensive philosophy relying on the improved secondary play?

This will be a very intriguing off-season, for sure.

Edited by jdennis82

While I appreciate Bill Connelly's and Paul Myerberg's reviews. It is March. We haven't had a spring game yet. We haven't had a summer full of shenanigans yet.

I suppose that' is why this one is mostly looking back, asking questions that we've all asked ourselves.

It is nice to finally see an outsider article that actively keeps up with its research and is current with our roster, transfers, and incoming class.

Not that I would expect less from Connelly though.

• Upvote 3

I truely expect most of our players to come into summer practice in good condition since they are now used to coaches expectations. I do not expect more than maybe a one game difference (won-lost record)between last year and

this fall due to our coaches stiff regimine on conditioning and follow thru on plays. I believe coach will have us pleasantly surprised at how we play. We WILL NOT lay down to Texas and will have another Georgia game.

• Upvote 2

I truely expect most of our players to come into summer practice in good condition since they are now used to coaches expectations. I do not expect more than maybe a one game difference (won-lost record)between last year and

this fall due to our coaches stiff regimine on conditioning and follow thru on plays. I believe coach will have us pleasantly surprised at how we play. We WILL NOT lay down to Texas and will have another Georgia game.

Welcome to the site. I like the way you think!

Pretty good preview. They have us dropping off a bit, but still going bowling. Ranked 94. Teams on our schedule that are ranked higher are Texas, SMU, Indiana, rice and UTSA. If rankings are accurate, we go 7-5 by beating up on a weak schedule.

We'll steal at least one maybe even 2 from the 5 listed that are higher ranked. The latter 4 you named are all theoretically winnable. All 5 are technically winnable. Edited by Ben Gooding

All I ask is that we beat SMU at home. That win would do so much for our student and alumni morale not to mention recruiting. Not to mention there will be a TON of recruits at that game.

Anything less than a sellout & I'll be very disappointed