Mid Spring UNT QB Poll: Who will start @UT?

Harry

as of right now, McNulty is the starter, and the main reason stated was he knows the offense. If we read between the lines, he can lose it if dajon or Greer learns the offense, but as of right now, they have not, so McNulty is in the lead.

At the end if the season, I had dajon as the top guy because I assumed while sitting and watching a whole season, he would know the offense. I heard he did not know the offense during the offseason workouts, and it seems like he is still learning. I assume He had a head start on Greer, but it seems as if it may be closing.

I am assuming here, but I think dajon knows the plays and routes. All of them should at this point. Knowing the offense is probably knowing what to read in certain situations and senarios based on personel and the look the defense us giving you. You pretty much have to make the same call and decision chico would make if he were in there.

Greer and dajon have a little over two Weeks to learn this to be named the starter. Making plays, ripping off long runs, great throws, etc will look good to us, but if the coaches dont trust thier knowledge and decision making, it wont matter.

This may go into the offseason and 2 a days.

I've been wondering lately (with this incessant A&M pro day coverage) if our staff would've started Johnny Manziel back in 2012, if they were coaching that A&M team. Offseason is fun.
  • Upvote 1

lulz

btw... Vito reported that DW overthrew a receiver pretty badly yesterday... any thoughts on that?

It worries me that we're lacking in the speed necessary at the receiver spot to keep up with DW's rocket cannon laser arm. Might explain the recent Greer surge.

• Upvote 2

I've been wondering lately (with this incessant A&M pro day coverage) if our staff would've started Johnny Manziel back in 2012, if they were coaching that A&M team. Offseason is fun.

I thought about the same thing while listening to them talk about J Football on the radio this morning. I say NO. He wouldn't have gotten a chance at UNT playing the way he did. I have been around several "system over talent" and disipline coaches before, and they stick to the script in most cases. Their ultimate goal is to plug athletes into their system, but the system comes first. It's hard finding great athletes that will buy into a system too.

I have also seen the other side where a coach wants the best athletes on the field at all times, and that can be a big, undisiplined, unorganized mess. If I had to pick one extreme or the other, I would go with system and disipline guy because it is more order. I have seen both be successful, but it's rare you can just out athlete a good, solid, disiplined team.

I would like to see us meet somewhere in the middle where we could plug athletes into a successful system, but UNT is not there as a program yet. We are still trying to collect the best D1 talent we possibly can, no matter what their skillset is and convert them.

The ideal situation is to have the program so successful to where you can target a recruit that is running a similar system in high school, and the learning curve is easier. I think UNT will eventually get to that point, but right now, we are still doing a lot of teaching and converting.

Here's something I don't understand: Why can't we just be happy with whomever it is that wins the QB battle?

Dajon. Josh. What difference does it make? If one or the other wins, it is because the coaching staff feels he is the one who gives us the best chance to win.

After seeing what this coaching staff did in 2013 with a bunch of walk-on WRs and a defensive line that was thin, I'm at the point of trusting them here.

QB is just one position in 2014, just like in all seasons. Don't take your eye off the ball: the question will be the new front seven on the defensive side of the ball. Whether it can stop the run and create pressure on opposing QBs is every bit as important as who our starting QB is, if not moreso.

These are the charges as recorded this day, 15 November 1962.

Faithfully submitted,

Douglas C. Neidermeyer,

Sergeant at Arms.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here's something I don't understand: Why can't we just be happy with whomever it is that wins the QB battle?

Dear Doug,

Of course we will all be happy with whomever gets the starting job. It's fun to discuss the possibilities no?

Also, keep in mind that we finally have a VERY athletic QB prospect with a tremendous upside as well as associated risks which of course adds to the discussions. Johnny Football, RG III, Vince Young all created huge excitement and interest in their respective programs because for the same reasons.

PS I hope your neck is doing better

If whoever is named QB wins games, everybody will love him.

If he doesn't, everybody will be screaming for the back-up.

That the way college football go. (Unless it's DT we are talking about. If that's the case, some people will not be happy unless we win the right way, whatever way that is.)

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dajon. Josh. What difference does it make? If one or the other wins, it is because the coaching staff feels he is the one who gives us the best chance to win.

You didnt include McNulty. Would you be happy with whoever wins if it is him?

• Upvote 1

After seeing what this coaching staff did in 2013 with a bunch of walk-on WRs and a defensive line that was thin, I'm at the point of trusting them here.

QB is just one position in 2014, just like in all seasons. Don't take your eye off the ball: the question will be the new front seven on the defensive side of the ball. Whether it can stop the run and create pressure on opposing QBs is every bit as important as who our starting QB is, if not moreso.

These are the charges as recorded this day, 15 November 1962.

Faithfully submitted,

Douglas C. Neidermeyer,

Sergeant at Arms.

That's right!

Rick

Maybe so, I'll look it up in the near future to improve my credit score on GMG.com. Obviously I am speaking of first time transfers from juco to fbs. Not FBS QB's that transferred to juco then back to FBS such as Scam Newton.

Our JUCO transfer is not a first time transfer, followed Arkansas QB/OC coach McGee who recruited him to Arkansas out of HS to Conference USA school UAB. Then 1 year at JUCO.

Graduated HS early and this is his 3rd Spring Ball. Not comparing him to SEC or Big 12 QB last season but there were 5 starters that did the same thing, 4 in the SEC. Really love competition as it makes them all better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This seems like the same discussion as last year. Everyone just knew it would be anyone but DT. I will be shocked if McNulty is not the starter.

We should start seeing the pecking order start to take shape soon, maybe starting with scrimmage today.

DT was a returning 2 year starter. Huge difference.

If Mini Mac is the best we have, we are in for a long season. Love the kid's grit, but he lacks FBS arm strength and is a turnover waiting to happen.

Time will tell who the QB pick will be. Really hoping it is DW, as I believe he has the most upside.

• Upvote 2

DT was a returning 2 year starter. Huge difference.

If Mini Mac is the best we have, we are in for a long season. Love the kid's grit, but he lacks FBS arm strength and is a turnover waiting to happen.

Time will tell who the QB pick will be. Really hoping it is DW, as I believe he has the most upside.

I agree. I'm hoping either DW or Greer picks the system up quickly and becomes the leader of this team. If not, I feel Mini Mac and the offense will be a predictable run run run offense since his arm isn't anything to write about. May the best QB get the job and take us to another bowl, I'll be a happy man!!! I'm confident these coaches will make the right decision.

• Upvote 1

I agree. I'm hoping either DW or Greer picks the system up quickly and becomes the leader of this team. If not, I feel Mini Mac and the offense will be a predictable run run run offense since his arm isn't anything to write about. May the best QB get the job and take us to another bowl, I'll be a happy man!!! I'm confident these coaches will make the right decision.

Screw the bowl, win the west!!!! Be division champs.