Texas Football looks at all D-I Coaches Salaries

Harry

It's nice seeing our coaches NOT paid at the bottom of the D1 programs in Texas. It also makes a statement that this university is making a real effort to develop name recognition in sports (Basketball excluded).

Hey, Rome was not built in a day. We are off to a good start.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

I think the UTEP pay is bad, really bad. They have a dedicated fan base, you'd figure it'd be much higher. I think UTEP is a school UNT needs to stay with for years to come while conference affiliation progresses.

UTEP has always had one of the worst athletic budgets in all of college sports. It's a bi-product of the culture. Want to know where one of the top 5 Wal Marts in the world are, in terms of volume? Go to the El Paso's east side location.

They have a terrific, rabid fan base...that will only pay minimal dollar for their home tickets.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

I wish we had nutted up to a full million a year, plus bonuses

Compared to where we were a few years ago, this is great and Mac and his coordinators are happy. Can't we be the same or do we always gave to bitch about something?

Would anyone still be thinking that if we go 5-7 next year?

Wasn't it only 4 years ago we were paying approximately 1/3 of the amount we are giving Mac? I think this is about right for where we are currently. Follow up last year's success with a couple more years of the same, then up the money a bit without extending the years.

I was just hoping to set a precedent for head coach pay here. More for the future in general to be higher in the pecking order. Not about anyone one coach or record. I assume we are trying to get the best coaches we can afford, and I wanted our budget planning set a bit higher.

Compared to where we were a few years ago, this is great and Mac and his coordinators are happy. Can't we be the same or do we always gave to bitch about something?

Sorry I did mean it as bitching it was just what I was hoping for a new level of pay. I am not sure I want to use our past at North Texas as the standard against what we will pay coaches in the future.

I wish we had nutted up to a full million a year, plus bonuses

I don't understand that thinking. At all. Just paying more because it makes us seem big time is utterly a waste of money. And paying more for any other reason is not really necessary here I think.

I really don't think there is a ton of schools out there that will be willing to buy out a somewhat older coach with only one eye and two heart problems in the last two years to buy out over 3 million and then give him a long term contract that pays significantly more for it to be worth it for Mac to start building anew. Only the middle tier is really gonna be interested and 3 million will suffice to scare those away unless we go somethink like a stellar 11-1. And if against all odds a big12 school or so comes calling, then the buyout amount will matter little anyway. And there is quite a bit of incentive in this contract where it goes up a lot if he goes better than 6-6 in the next few seasons. On the other hand if we go 4-8 this season then why pay more than that. The AD cannot only have best case scenarios, he also has to think of the other possibilities.

We are talking 300k a year here, that is not peanuts.

The money we saved here will come in handy, for example to pay assistants better so they don't leave for the same job at a mid tier school like Memphis. I really want to keep Skladany. Or for buying out a certain basketball coach. Or maybe for reducing the amount of play for pay games by one every year and finally make sure that 5 home game seasons like 2015 will be never happen again. Or finally building the long time promised tennis center court so the proven successful tennis coach does not leave. Gosh i have tons of ideas that all seem more important to me than adding 300 k to coach Macs sallary

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UTEP has always had one of the worst athletic budgets in all of college sports. It's a bi-product of the culture. Want to know where one of the top 5 Wal Marts in the world are, in terms of volume? Go to the El Paso's east side location.

I've been there often. . . . It's just up the road from my folks' house.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand that thinking. At all. Just paying more because it makes us seem big time is utterly a waste of money. And paying more for any other reason is not really necessary here I think.

I really don't think there is a ton of schools out there that will be willing to buy out a somewhat older coach with only one eye and two heart problems in the last two years to buy out over 3 million and then give him a long term contract that pays significantly more for it to be worth it for Mac to start building anew. Only the middle tier is really gonna be interested and 3 million will suffice to scare those away unless we go somethink like a stellar 11-1. And if against all odds a big12 school or so comes calling, then the buyout amount will matter little anyway. And there is quite a bit of incentive in this contract where it goes up a lot if he goes better than 6-6 in the next few seasons. On the other hand if we go 4-8 this season then why pay more than that. The AD cannot only have best case scenarios, he also has to think of the other possibilities.

We are talking 300k a year here, that is not peanuts.

The money we saved here will come in handy, for example to pay assistants better so they don't leave for the same job at a mid tier school like Memphis. I really want to keep Skladany. Or for buying out a certain basketball coach. Or maybe for reducing the amount of play for pay games by one every year and finally make sure that 5 home game seasons like 2015 will be never happen again. Or finally building the long time promised tennis center court so the proven successful tennis coach does not leave. Gosh i have tons of ideas that all seem more important to me than adding 300 k to coach Macs sallary

I am not sure what you missed? It is about getting our budget up to a competitive level, in 2012 the average D1 football head-coach made $1.64 million and I know it has gone up a bit in the last year and half from when this article was published November 20, 2012. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/19/college-football-coaches-contracts-analysis-pay-increase/1715435/

We have this new contract at roughly half of the average amount set in 2012? I feel that $1 million and right at a million is a milestone at 7 digits, not that we cheaped our way into a deal and save a couple hundred thousand a year.

I am not sure what you missed? It is about getting our budget up to a competitive level, in 2012 the average D1 football head-coach made $1.64 million and I know it has gone up a bit in the last year and half from when this article was published November 20, 2012. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/19/college-football-coaches-contracts-analysis-pay-increase/1715435/

We have this new contract at roughly half of the average amount set in 2012? I feel that $1 million and right at a million is a milestone at 7 digits, not that we cheaped our way into a deal and save a couple hundred thousand a year.

I am gonna put this much shorter than I did before:

I'd like to see an increased AD budget too. But I don't care how other schools distribute the budgets they have.

bottom line: We are paying market value for a coach we are currently happy with and who is unlikely to go anywhere. Paying more than market value would be wasteful.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am gonna put this much shorter than I did before:

I'd like to see an increased AD budget too. But I don't care how other schools distribute the budgets they have.

bottom line: We are paying market value for a coach we are currently happy with and who is unlikely to go anywhere. Paying more than market value would be wasteful.

I would say it is clearly under market value, I would be interested to see where you get market value from?

Maybe I am looking at the long range picture you are looking at the immediate.