LSU on the road for top-seeded SMU in NIT

Harry

LSU forward Jordan Mickey, who played alongside Mudiay last season, hails from the suburb of Arlington and calmly laid out what the city’s best thought of SMU before Brown’s hiring

“A lot of people wasn’t looking to go there,” Mickey said Friday.

Under different circumstances, maybe Mickey would under Brown’s tutelage instead of Jones, who still mines the Dallas area heavily after spending 12 seasons at North Texas.

Yet the Tigers’ coach didn’t elaborate on the challenges of trying carve out a foothold at SMU, which has to contend with UNT and TCU inside its metro area and other in-state competitors from Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.

“I only know about building at UNT,” Jones said.

Read more: http://theadvocate.com/sports/8712660-128/lsu-on-the-road-for

SMU wins. So that's what an experienced head coach can do.

The thing that most impressed me about SMU tonight...is once they went to stall ball with 4-5 minutes to go. They still ended up with good shots at the end of the shot clock the vast majority of the time. I saw so many teams in the NCAA tournament who would run the clock down and then chuck up lousy shots the last four days. SMU was as good as Arizona or Virginia in regards to playing great stall ball.

That is a definite mark of a well coached team.

• Upvote 1

SMU has done what I didn't think could ever happen--turn into something that people in North Dallas want to watch. A sellout for an NIT game? I realize its LSU, but that place was packed with what-have-you-done-for-me-lately, North Dallas fans.

I wonder if SMU will become a basketball-first school now? I mean, in football, the writing is on the wall that if you aren't AQ, you don't matter much beyond your circle of fans and students who care. They aren't going to moving up anytime soon to an AQ league. If I were them, I'd put my emphasis on hoops, for sure. I know its Texas and that school has produced All-Americans in football from the 40s thru the mid 80s, but if they focused on being a basketball school first, they could very well be a team that could become a strong player nationally, just because they have a good basketball league and are able to go after some of those Texas HS recruits that always seem to leave the state.

SMU has done what I didn't think could ever happen--turn into something that people in North Dallas want to watch. A sellout for an NIT game? I realize its LSU, but that place was packed with what-have-you-done-for-me-lately, North Dallas fans.

I wonder if SMU will become a basketball-first school now? I mean, in football, the writing is on the wall that if you aren't AQ, you don't matter much beyond your circle of fans and students who care. They aren't going to moving up anytime soon to an AQ league. If I were them, I'd put my emphasis on hoops, for sure. I know its Texas and that school has produced All-Americans in football from the 40s thru the mid 80s, but if they focused on being a basketball school first, they could very well be a team that could become a strong player nationally, just because they have a good basketball league and are able to go after some of those Texas HS recruits that always seem to leave the state.

I wasn't a sports fan until after the 70s and 80s, but something tells me the people that drive SMU's athletic bus still want to relive the football glory days. They are 2 generations away from being okay with focusing on basketball. Right now, envision a SMU board meeting agenda that says, "How can use this basketball success to refuel our football program?"

Totally guessing though. I think it's an interesting thought, and some older fans can chime in with better perspective.