Dan McCarney getting 5-year deal ESPN/AP

Harry

DENTON, Texas -- North Texas coach Dan McCarney is getting a new five-year contract after leading the Mean Green to nine wins and their first bowl victory in 11 seasons.

School officials said Tuesday, only hours before spring practice began, that the deal was imminent. Attorneys were reviewing the new contract that will take McCarney through the 2018 season.

"What they did was, in putting a contract in place really, is showing appreciation for changing the culture at this place. It's showing appreciation for how we do it, and the way we've done it on the field, in the classroom, in Denton, and how we handle things," McCarney said. "I think it's a sign of support for all of my guys, all of my staff, my program, our program. ... I appreciate that opportunity to stay here. I'm not looking to leave. I love this place."

read more: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10552286/dan-mccarney-getting-new-5-year-deal-north-texas-mean-green

Along with his new deal, McCarney got pay raises for his assistant coaches. His top two assistants -- offensive coach Mike Canales and defensive coordinator John Skladany -- are getting new two-year contracts, through the 2015 season.

Very good. I am on board with this Coach and the direction he is taking the program. From an old, ever watchful fan like myself, there is still LOTs of work to do here and it is not all going to happen over night. One thing for sure - the UNT fans had better start filling Apogee or they will only have themselves to blame if this momentum and progress begin to lose steam.

Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 2