'15 LB Chris Orr DeSoto

^^ the only thing i can think is that we were playing for next year..trying to find a QB.. playing Goree with a QB that cant give him the ball is pretty much a waste. He would need a qb who can throw a jump ball our qb's under throw receivers.

The under throw is actually becoming real popular. I see weak arm qbs under throwing all Saturday and watch these big wrs bail them out. Tall wr, short db. Back shoulder throws. Jump balls are not usually strong armed qbs who put the ball on the money.

If I recall correctly, you said the same thing about Nick Orr.

All he did was play as a true freshman for a team that should be playing for the national title. Even had an interception.

I'll trust the Wisconsin coaching staff on this one.

I thought I remembered that as well. Even if he doesn't become a great linebacker at Wisconsin, Orr would easily be a great CUSA level LB signee.

TCU gets a number of true freshmen on the field. I'm sure Zach Whitfield would have gotten some time on their field as well (as a freshman). There is no reason to continue to salivate over these two. I thought Chris was an average HS linebacker at best. The fact that kids get offers does not make them outstanding prospects. Wisconsin wanted in the metroplex and Desoto in particular. Louisville offered 10 at SOC. Wisconsin offered 6-7 from SOC. Many of these guys were way overrated. As you guys know, many of these kids will end up transferring back to smaller schools that make more sense.

I also thought that Dez White would have been a major impact here. (as QB) Though small, he would have been our best option at quarterback as a true freshman (running, passing and running the offense).

What I seem to recall, over the past 2-3 season, is all the hype about Dan McCarney's recruits and how they are so much better than what we've attracted in the past. (Based solely on offers) How is that working out?

TCU gets a number of true freshmen on the field. I'm sure Zach Whitfield would have gotten some time on their field as well (as a freshman). There is no reason to continue to salivate over these two. I thought Chris was an average HS linebacker at best. The fact that kids get offers does not make them outstanding prospects. Wisconsin wanted in the metroplex and Desoto in particular. Louisville offered 10 at SOC. Wisconsin offered 6-7 from SOC. Many of these guys were way overrated. As you guys know, many of these kids will end up transferring back to smaller schools that make more sense.

I also thought that Dez White would have been a major impact here. (as QB) Though small, he would have been our best option at quarterback as a true freshman (running, passing and running the offense).

What I seem to recall, over the past 2-3 season, is all the hype about Dan McCarney's recruits and how they are so much better than what we've attracted in the past. (Based solely on offers) How is that working out?

Its working out pretty horribly to be honest.

This post lost credibility at Zach Whitfield would've gotten time at TCU as a freshman. I don't think anyone is salivating over Nick or Chris Orr. But most everyone here would've gladly taken them, not just because of their brother. You've been critical of them, and all they've done is rack up solid offers and, in Nick's case, play as a true freshman for a national title contender. No matter how little you think of that, that's impressive. No one is calling them locks for the NFL, just saying that they'd be solid CUSA level players and we'd love to have them.

I'm sorry, there's just no way Desmon White could've played qb. He's 5'5". He just would not be able to see and he'd have everything batted down. I saw him play live in high school as well. Against good teams he needed to get out of the pocket to have a chance. He was great at it, because he was playing high-school speed defenses. It just wouldn't translate. But that's just my opinion.

Finally, these Mccarney classes have not been hyped at all, save for his 2014 class which has shown good early returns and great potential for more. Also Sam Miller in 2015. Those are the players who had the good offer lists, and definitely not the reason we were bad this year. That would be Mccarney's early classes, of which the players did not have impressive offer lists and I believe that caught up to us. Plus, people constantly bring up that Mac won with Dodge's recruits, who did have good offer lists coming out of high school (Zach Orr, Aaron Bellazin, etc). We lost this year because we were relying on former walkons and players with no offer lists, from Mccarney's unheralded early classes, without those Dodge recruits to lean on.

Its working out pretty horribly to be honest.

The Dan Mccarney recruits who had good offer lists have worked pretty well (Lemon, James Jones, Derek Akunne). The young ones have looked good in limited time and show signs of being good as upperclassmen. The problem is that he didn't sign very many recruits with good offer lists in his first three classes. We struggled because of that. And, now that we're losing again, our classes are starting to look like his first three classes again.

The concern is not that Mccarney is, or was, bringing in a bunch of kids with solid offer lists and those guys aren't panning out. The concern is that he didn't bring in enough of those guys in his first three classes and even when the few highly-recruited players he signed did pan out, they didn't have enough help.

• 5 years later...
On 12/13/2014 at 7:21 AM, Cooley said:

Yes very average 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1