UNT in the hunt for JC point guard Dequon Miller

Harry

UNT men’s basketball coach Tony Benford vowed after the Mean Green was ousted from the Conference USA tournament to work toward the goal of winning the league title, both on the coaching and recruiting fronts.

That goal has taken the Mean Green’s staff to Tennessee, where UNT is recruiting point guard Dequon Miller of Motlow College.

Miller averaged 20.9 points and 7.0 assists as a freshman this season.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/03/monday-afternoon-notes-unt-in-the-hunt-for-jc-point-guard.html/

Do we have a scholly available to give or do we anticipate someone to leave the team?

We only have one left to give if: everyone on the team returns for next year, all 3 of our players who signed in the fall with us end up making it in, and Greg Wesley does finish straightening out his grades and joins the team next year. A lot of ifs. But yes, even if all those ifs happen we still have a spot open.

Are we recruitng freshman at all? It seems like Coach is in a got to win now mode. I don't feel we are buliding a program.

We signed Jeremy Combs, but, other than him, we didn't get any of our high school targets and most of them signed elsewhere during the early signing period.

Here's a list of the top 100 high school players in Texas, to get an idea of what is left.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texashoops/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3051/

• Upvote 1

We signed Jeremy Combs, but, other than him, we didn't get any of our high school targets and most of them signed elsewhere during the early signing period.

Here's a list of the top 100 high school players in Texas, to get an idea of what is left.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texashoops/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3051/

It's nice to see Combs so high on that list.

• Upvote 1

Both the Sun Belt and CUSA only received 1 bid to the NCAA's. Is there really any difference in the quality of play? I don't know, and am just asking. Note: SFA is seeded higher that both Tulsa and U.LL.

CUSA was the 13th ranked conference while the Belt was 18th.

Southland was 27th.

• Upvote 2

It would be awesome to get this guy, but couldn't we use some help in the paint?

yes we could use both. Again, you have to get more production out of your three big guys (Coleman, Gaines and Flannigan) if you expect to win consistently in this league.

The other thing that stands out to me is Benford's infatuation with the one-year transfers...that have already graduated and can play right away. It didn't work with Gaines but Vaughns was a decent contributor. I wonder if he will try to do that again.

yes we could use both. Again, you have to get more production out of your three big guys (Coleman, Gaines and Flannigan) if you expect to win consistently in this league.

The other thing that stands out to me is Benford's infatuation with the one-year transfers...that have already graduated and can play right away. It didn't work with Gaines but Vaughns was a decent contributor. I wonder if he will try to do that again.

I don't mind the one year transfers if they can actually produce.... like Shawnson Johnson who transferred from LSU... hell of a rebounder. Great contributor. It was worth it.

But, we have brought in some one-years that was not worth the scholly and risk of a one year player.... including Vaughns, in my opinion.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

Interesting factoid I came across in regards to DeQuon Miller. He comes from great bloodlines, as he is the nephew of Cookie Miller who was a good player for Nebraska around 2007-2009. This is about the same time UNT assistant David Anwar was coaching at Nebraska under Doc Sadler.

Interesting factoid I came across in regards to DeQuon Miller. He comes from great bloodlines, as he is the nephew of Cookie Miller who was a good player for Nebraska around 2007-2009. This is about the same time UNT assistant David Anwar was coaching at Nebraska under Doc Sadler.

Benford was at NEB from 2006-2008. Both Miller & Alonzo Edwards transferred out at the same time

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...