Concept for the new Denton Convention Center unveiled

Harry

The city’s partner in developing a new convention center and hotel on the University of North Texas campus was in town Feb. 18, primarily to meet with a group at UNT on designing the project.

If you recall from our earlier stories, it is the city’s intent, along with the developer, O’Reilly Hospitality Management, to design the project to 35 percent and then go out for bids to see whether both can afford it. (The city has been estimating $25 million for the 100,000-square-foot convention center and OHM has been estimating $60 million for the 300-room, full-service hotel.)

Read more: http://newsgatheringblog.dentonrc.com/2014/03/concept-for-convention-center.html/

This project is 100% good for NT and the region. I am excited about it and grateful to those making the effort. I don't want to sound ungracious in any way but, I do wish the design could be more dramatic and unique. It doesn't have to look like Picasso designed it but how much more could it cost to rivet steel and lay bricks in a reasonably attractive and unique way compared to the same ole' same ole'?

Edited by Greenrex
  • Upvote 4

A few thoughts ...

* Looks like they went with the "more glass" over the "more other materials" look for the hotel. It makes me think "Holiday Inn" from the 80's.

* On the other hand, it still looks nice and better than what was there before. It could look really nice with the with the correct materials and lighting.

* For council members who "want more" ... it's Embassy Suites! What are you expecting? No matter what they build it won't be the Gaylord or the Omni. It's like going to Lone Star Steakhouse and expecting something from Bob's Steak and Chop House.

• Upvote 1

Hmm. That's a lot of glass that will reflect the setting August sun right in the faces of everyone on the Press Box side of Apogee....

It's labeled "concept" for a reason.

• Upvote 3

Hmm. That's a lot of glass that will reflect the setting August sun right in the faces of everyone on the Press Box side of Apogee....

Let us all learn from the horrible mistakes of Museum Tower in Dallas...

Is this eliminating the Tailgating on the Hill? The tailgating atmosphere because of the Hill is unparalleled.

Yes and No.

hzwUZJg.png

Yes, it will take up some the land of The Hill.

No, it will not fully encroach on where we tailgate however, based upon the locations everyone have taken up over the last three years. If anything, this may squeeze us together more, which I could personally favor. Be friendly out there.

Edited by Christopher Walker

I was told that the new hotel and convention center would be very similar to the Embassy Suites Hotel / San Marcos Convention Center in SM. I've stayed there for conferences in the past and if that's what we get, I think everyone will be pleased.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

I was told that the new hotel and convention center would be very similar to the Embassy Suites Hotel / San Marcos Convention Center in SM. I've stayed there for conferences in the past and if that's what we get, I think everyone will be pleased.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

Here's a link to that hotel:

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/embassy-suites-san-marcos-hotel-spa-and-conference-center-SNMESES/index.html

Exterior looks ok, interior looks great!

* For council members who "want more" ... it's Embassy Suites! What are you expecting? No matter what they build it won't be the Gaylord or the Omni. It's like going to Lone Star Steakhouse and expecting something from Bob's Steak and Chop House.

Amen - well stated 95! I think they are trying to manage this project within a reasonable cost. You usually can't have it both ways although I do feel like Apogee was an absolute bargain.