2014 Outlook: Defensive Backs

GrayEagle

Defensive Backs:

Cornerbacks Coach: LaMarcus Hicks

Safeties Coach: Perry Carter

Losses: Jackson, D Johnson, Trice

Returning: Allen, Busby, Buyers, C Davis, Z Evans, J Jones.W Lee, Pratt, Schlecci, Tucker, Wade, Warner, Whitfield

Gains: A Jones, McClain, Reese

With three starters returning from last year and two more that had starts in previous years, the defensive backfield has real strength. It's an experienced bunch but that's due, in part, to the special teams being laden with defensive backs.

I see the starters as Kenny Buyers and James Jones at the corners and Lairamie Lee and Freddie Warner at the safeties. The second unit should be Zed Evans and Chad Reese (safeties) and Chad Davis and Zac Whitfield (corners). Whitfield will be the nickel back. The strongest contenders for the two deep should be Busby, Tucker and Schlecci.

This is such a strong unit that I see the freshmen redshirting as it would be hard to find adequate playing time for the two.

• Upvote 1

The huge question here, and it is huge, is Jones's health.

Major intestinal surgery is nothing to take lightly. Will he be able to return, and if so, will he be the same player.

The CB change last year is what enabled this defense to really take off. We all need to pray that Jones is the same player as last year.

• Upvote 1

move

Well Tucker is moving to RB. I think the two deep there is pretty solid and you probably have it about right. I wonder about safety depth a little though, with Schilleci and Tucker both moving positions. I think I might go with Busby at SS instead of Reese, since I don't see him actually on the roster yet.

I think Trice's spot is a 2-horse race right now between Busby and Evans. Reese has to redshirt this year.

Gray,

I thought Warner was a CB?

This is Warner's position to lose. Trice became a starter because of Warner's injury. That should be an indication of how good he is. GMG

Im hearing the new coaches love Zed Evans. Kinda predictable since speed and athleticism is the first thing noticeable from a new coaching staff. He has NFL measurables and will have a new chance to impress these coaches. He will also have another spring to learn the system. I had Warner as the frontrunner while Joseph was here, but this position may be more open now.

I also heard that Warner is a great athlete. The arm injury set him back, but to look on the bright side of things, it gave him more time to heal those knee injuries. Can he be eligible for an extra year due to injuries?

No matter who wins, I think we are in good shape with good depth at safety. I can even see us even having Warner and Evans out there at the same time in certain situations. (since I heard they were both a lot faster than Lee) Trice was a playmaker and leader, but I see this as a possible upgrade from an athletic standpoint with either Warner or Evans.

I also think the corner position will be very solid with the obvious returning starters. Add the fact that they really didn't get the starting job until the season started, Buyers will have a whole Spring working with the first unit and getting even more reps to get better. I assume Whitfield starts in jjones place and he has experience. It's good he will get the reps so he can get more experience in coverage since he will most likely be the nickel. Not sure who gets his reps at nickel in the Spring, but it creates a situation where there is a lot of experience and depth for next year. I feel the secondary does not miss a beat next season and will not have the shaky start like this season. This will be one of the keys to having a strong defense for 2014.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 2

I like Whitfield at nickel a lot. Plus Warner was a heavy-hitter at CB before the injury his freshman year. Would be a nice pairing with Lee.

yeah, but if Evans gets the other S spot I would think you would almost have to make room for Warner on the field for situational downs.
  • Upvote 1

the nickel is matched up one on one with the slot wr a lot. maybe I missed something, but it seems as if one on one coverage is whitfields biggest issue. nickel should be strong in coverage.

His problem was not one-on-one coverage as much as it was his ball skills. He would do a good job of putting himself in position, but when the ball was in the air he wasn't making the play, which included mistiming his jump a lot.

He appears to fit a lot more naturally at nickel, with being able to keep the guy in front and break on the ball, rather than having to go up with a receiver, usually taller than him, for jump balls and such. Just my 2 cents.

His problem was not one-on-one coverage as much as it was his ball skills. He would do a good job of putting himself in position, but when the ball was in the air he wasn't making the play, which included mistiming his jump a lot.

He appears to fit a lot more naturally at nickel, with being able to keep the guy in front and break on the ball, rather than having to go up with a receiver, usually taller than him, for jump balls and such. Just my 2 cents.

A nickel with questionable ball skills? I hope it is something that can be improved on in the spring. He was new to the position a few years ago, so there may be room to grow.

Usually you are putting a nickel in to improve your chances of stopping the pass. He got beat a lot. Yes, some were close, but beat is beat. Especially when there is no decision to make and you know who your man is on an obvious passing down. stopping the pass should be your specialty. Our corners rarely got beat last year.