2014 Outlook: Linebackers

GrayEagle

Linebackers

Coach: John Skladany

Losses: R Lewis, Orr, Wright

Returning: Akunne, B Davis, Ellis, Jefferson, J Marshall, Minor, Scott, L Smith

Gains: Montgomery, A Smith, A Wallace

When you can lose a future NT Hall of Famer and not be depressed you realize that this program is beginning to build talent. Zach Orr's replacement projects to be our highest rated recruit. Anthony Wallace was a 4-star recruit with Oregon originally. For whatever reason, he didn't see much playing time and transferred to us. He would be expected to start at middle. But not so fast. Last year's "find" was Fred Scott, who also plays the middle. What's worse is that the only other LB with experience playing in the middle, Derek Akunne, starts on the outside. So, the three best linebackers may not be on the field at the same time. So, unless there's a position switch, I see Wallace starting in the middle backed up by Scott (or the other way around).

Akunne should be the strong side linebacker but who'll be on the other side? Some think that A J Smith the JUCO transfer projects there but I like the play of Sed Ellis. I believe that the stock of Jalen Marshall has fallen but he can still hold off the challenges of LaJaylin Smith and Calvin Minor for the other outside spot.

I project that the starters will be Akunne, Wallace and Ellis backed up by A J Smith, Scott, and Jalen Marshall. That's not bad but I hope that they can find a way to get both Wallace and Scott on the field at the same time.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

I'll go with starters Wallace, Akunne, and A. Smith. Rotation players Ellis, Marshall, and Scott. Freshman Brandon Garner could break into that group.

I like the AJ Smith pick and can see them wanting to get his speed on the field.

Im hearing first team lbs are Ellis, Wallace, and Akunne for now.

there will be good competition in this area, and even though we lost leadership and experience, the athleticism and speed will be upgraded.

I hope Akunne is ready to step up and be a vocal leader of the defense now. He's been in Zach's shadow his whole career... time to shine Derek!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Find a way to get the three best on the field at the same time, example: Casey Hurd Spencer

• Upvote 1

I hope Akunne is ready to step up and be a vocal leader of the defense now. He's been in Zach's shadow his whole career... time to shine Derek!

Yup. Akunne has one of the most impressive size and speed combos on the team. I think he ran a 4.5 (probably not laser) and is up over 240. He certainly looks like it when he plays as well, so it isn't fool's gold. A big senior year and he could get on some NFL teams' radars.

Also, really excited to see Garner in the fall. Maybe won't have the size to be an every-down linebacker, and we won't need him to be, but he could absolutely be a weapon on 3rd down. With his coverage skills (was offered as a safety by Purdue) and his blitzing skills (10 sacks last year as an lb) he could be used in different ways.

He's been in zach's shadow, but he's been one of the leaders for a while. I've seen it on the field and on twitter. I've often seen him call some people out for not handling their business.

• Upvote 2

I think robert lewis was a junior last year as far as eligibility goes... i may be wrong.

Robert Lewis was a junior in eligibility but was scheduled to graduate before this coming season. He opted not to return for his last year of eligibility and was one of the '22 seniors' that Coach Mac alluded to. He is not listed on the current squad.

• Upvote 1