2014 Outlook: Offensive Line

GrayEagle

SORRY GUYS! OF COURSE THIS IS THE 2014 SEASON COMING UP...NOT 2015. RECRUITING ON MY MIND.

Offensive Line

Coach: Mike Simmonds

Losses: Anyiam, (Feldt, Melugin, Nelson)

Returning: Banogu, Ellard, A Johnson, Kirby, Lemon, McKinney, Rentfro, Rice, Sorge, M Thompson, Trussel, Walker, Y'Barbo

Gains: Clayton, Fortenberry, Miles

It's easy to pick four of the five starters this coming season. All four started last year. Three of those four have been the starters the past three years. Who will the fifth starter be? I have a feeling it will be Shawn McKinney. Although he was the backup center last year he was first off of the bench regardless of line position. It may involve a little shuffling to get each where they can operate efficiently. It's too bad that Sam Rice isn't eligible because I believe that it would make a formidable line even better.

Of the remainder, Ellard, Rentfro, Micah Thompson and Trussel played last year and I'd expect to see them again this year along with either Banogu, Sorge or Walker, possibly all three. It's essential that these backups get more playing time because at least three of the starters will graduate after next season. Miles will also likely get PT this year; not so sure about Clayton and Fortenberry.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

We saw the lineup this season when AJ went out. Anyiam moved to left and Lemon moved to right tackle. McKinney to guard. AJ returning at LT and this is your first five

I think you may be right. Move McKinney to guard and Lemon to tackle. My sense is if McKinney can't get the job done they will look at Rentfro at tackle. Need some guys to step up this spring as guys we can count on after we lose Y Barbo, Lemon and AJ... I think Sam Rice is one who will help ease the loss...need more though.

I think you may be right. Move McKinney to guard and Lemon to tackle. My sense is if McKinney can't get the job done they will look at Rentfro at tackle. Need some guys to step up this spring as guys we can count on after we lose Y Barbo, Lemon and AJ... I think Sam Rice is one who will help ease the loss...need more though.

Lemon didn't exactly excel at tackle last year...certainly his best position is as a guard, and should he play at the next level that's where it would be.

If McKinney wants to play, he's gotta win his job at center.

Ellard, Sorge, Trussel and Rentfro are all tackles, yes...and all have been in the program multiple years now. You have to start counting on these guys to perform.

• Upvote 1

Lemon didn't exactly excel at tackle last year...certainly his best position is as a guard, and should he play at the next level that's where it would be.

If McKinney wants to play, he's gotta win his job at center.

Ellard, Sorge, Trussel and Rentfro are all tackles, yes...and all have been in the program multiple years now. You have to start counting on these guys to perform.

They threw Lemon in there without a lot of preparation. I suspect they will give him more time this spring. Unless Rentfro or someone else can show they can be counted on. You're right, Lemon is a stud at guard and it wold be best if he could stay there.

Sorge is my pick to click this year. He was on the travel squad and he definitely looks the part. As does my boy Truss. He has the strength and the size to really be a good one. Really pulling for him to put it together this spring. Proud of him either way, but I want to see him putting dudes on the grass.

• Upvote 1

I don't think moving a three year starter to make room for McKinney is the coaches first choice. I believe that they would prefer for a younger player to win the starting tackle position. Rentfro should have a slight edge, but it could be any of the freshmen or sophomores.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

It's a little unorthodox, but why not use a bit of a rotation? Find your best 8 and rotate them throughout the game into their respective positions. It might break up the chemistry among the starting 5, but would build chemistry among the entire group and more importantly build depth for the 2015 season. You don't want to go into 2015 with 4 new OL that have played minimal snaps or no snaps at all. Just food for thought. GMG

Thank you and well done.

Any insight from the DL perspective on who they hated to face from the OL?

From one person's perspective, no one was unbeatable. You win some and you lose some, just have to make sure you win more than you lose. There were ones that were tougher to defeat than others. Ybarbo was the one that was mentioned because he was shorter than the Dlinemen and much harder to get underneath.

• Upvote 2

From one person's perspective, no one was unbeatable. You win some and you lose some, just have to make sure you win more than you lose. There were ones that were tougher to defeat than others. Ybarbo was the one that was mentioned because he was shorter than the Dlinemen and much harder to get underneath.

For fun: I wonder how effective Booger would have been as an OL? Completely out of position/wrong? All-conference?

have no idea. I just know DL wants to get under the OL and use leverage.