2015 Outlook: Tight Ends

GrayEagle

Tight Ends

Coach: Nick Quartaro

Losses: Miller, Prior

Returning: Carter, C Jones, Loving, Lynn, Reinhardt, M Smith, T Smith

Gains: None

This is the hardest position for me to predict. My inclination is to go with Reinhardt starting and Loving as the main backup. But...Reinhardt has zero experience and Loving has been a disappointment thus far. The two Smiths have the most experience but their blocking is questionable. Marcus Smith is a good receiver and I believe that Cooper Jones can/will be as well but is their blocking up to FBS quality? I don't know. Maybe we'll have some enlightenment this spring.

I went with Reinhardt and Loving because I believe that they are the two best blockers and TE is primarily an extra lineman, Loving is probably the best combination of blocking and receiving but I've found little to indicate that he's gung ho for this program. Talent is certainly not his problem. If he plays to his capabilities then he's the starter, hands down. If he still doesn't make the effort then I like Marcus Smith. He's the best receiver and his blocking is improving. Or, Cooper Jones, who has a lot of athletic ability and has really taken to the workout program could slip into the two deep. Lynn, the defensive MVP of his high school district, would have been better suited to have stayed at DE in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Marcus Smith starts all the way IMO. He has made great strides as a blocker. Not sure about Loving. Usually not a great sign when a JUCO guy redshirts without an injury, but hopefully he has put it together. I think Reinhardt will be a stud in the run-blocking game. I think it'll be Marcus Smith starting, backed up by Wylie Reinhardt, and then Chris Loving.

As for the rest, I see them playing more in the backfield than on the line of scrimmage. Basically, Tanner Smith, Cooper Jones, Jarod Lynn, and Cade Carter are more like fullbacks to me and I think that's more how they'll be used. Although Jones has the height to play on the line of scrimmage if he can block well enough. Tanner Smith has the most experience here, as his playing time has come in the backfield in heavy packages the last two years. Cooper Jones could be a good fit in this role, especially as a pass-catching threat out of the backfield. I have Tanner Smith first up here, then Cooper Jones, followed by Jarod Lynn, then Cade Carter.

I could see Reinhardt used in the backfield some and maybe Cooper Jones on the LOS. Tight end should definitely be fun to watch this spring.

Edited by BillySee58

I am REALLY excited to see what Reinhardt can do. Watched him several times in HS and that kid is flat out mean when he is blocking. He punishes his opponent and is relentless when he has the ability to finish a block. I am also interested to see our spring game to see what the blocking from TE's looks like and the ability to separate from those blocks by our DL.

• Upvote 1

The starter will be M. Smith if he continues to learn to block. Tanner Smith and Cooper Jones will see a lot of action. I would have to put a big question mark by Lovings' name, being he was redshirted last year and not because of injury. Reinhardt will see action but I don't think he will start even in multiple te sets.