2015 Outlook: Running Backs

GrayEagle

Running Backs

Coach: Tommy Perry

Losses: Byrd

Returning: E Evans, Jimmerson, Lewis, Pegram, Rollins, Wilhite

Gains: Ivery, Wilson

This position doesn't seem controversial since Jimmerson was the second leading rusher last year with an average of 4.17 yards and would seem to be the heir apparent. Pegram could give him a challenge for the starting job but I believe that they'll be one-two in that order.

Pegram's missing five games points up the need for more rotation. Rollins and Lewis each got 18 carries last year and should get a little heavier load this year. Rollins has a little more speed and Lewis better power.

None of the top four running backs have breakaway speed although Jimmerson does have a long run and a long pass on the feature replays. That's why I wonder if both Ivery and Wilson might not get their feet wet next season. There are no senior running backs in 2014. I believe that the talent will continue to improve and there's little reason to redshirt running backs. Ivery could use another 20 pounds, however, so he could be withheld. Yet, I believe that he has the most exciting future of all of the running backs and I'd like to see him as early as possible.

• Upvote 2

Isn't Pegram a redshirt senior?

But anyways, I'm really confident in the running back position. With Pegram(who I believe will start) powering through defences and Jimmerson running around them it should be a real nice attack. Willy Ivery will most likely redshirt and then produce a ton in his years of eligibility.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the new guy :)

Though Jim-Jim and Pegram are about the same size, Reggie seems to fit the "pounder" role better, which makes me think he'd be numero uno, with Jimmy being the change-of-pace back/surprise "guess what, I can catch too" receiver just like last year. With our RB scheme it seems less like "this guy is #1 and this guy is #2" than it does "these are your different roles based on the play we decide to run." And I think that's right about Pegram being a senior...didn't he use up 2 years at Purdue and then last year with us, or did he somehow get an extra year? Looks like he had a few carries in 2010, a bunch in 2011, then sat out 2012 before playing with us in 2013. So did he get a redshirt in 2010? If so then yeah, he will have eligibility through the 2015 season.

And yeah, I hope Rollins makes a full recovery, because both he and Lewis looked pretty good in their limited time last year.

• Upvote 2

If S&C grades are a good indication Rollins seems to be pretty well recovered from his injury. Mark Lewis had the best grade of the running backs which tells me that he is gaining both strength and speed. My only problem with Lewis is that he doesn't seem to have the speed for long runs. But, he is quick to the hole and with even with a halfway decent line will seldom lose yards.

While Jimmerson is the most exciting runner, I tend to agree with those that think that Pegram will be the starter.

• Upvote 1

Having had three ACL surgeries myself, I can tell you we are expecting a lot to expect Pegram to be 100% by Fall. Likely he will be 85-90%. I know some athletes come back within six months of that injury, but unless they are Adrian Peterson and shooting up gallons of HGH they are not near their old self until 18 months out from surgery. I expect a rotation of Jimmerson/Lewis/Ivery. Lewis is my pick for breakout player of 2014.

• Upvote 1

Having had three ACL surgeries myself, I can tell you we are expecting a lot to expect Pegram to be 100% by Fall. Likely he will be 85-90%. I know some athletes come back within six months of that injury, but unless they are Adrian Peterson and shooting up gallons of HGH they are not near their old self until 18 months out from surgery. I expect a rotation of Jimmerson/Lewis/Ivery. Lewis is my pick for breakout player of 2014.

Interesting. That was about the same time frame for recovery/rehab as a couple of star players that played at my HS in the late 60's.

While Jimmerson is the most exciting runner, I tend to agree with those that think that Pegram will be the starter.

What often times makes Jimmerson so exciting is the same reason he didn't start in front of Byrd. The excitement came from Jimmerson not knowing what his assignment was or executing plays incorrectly - which meant he had to quickly make things up. Often times it worked with electrifying results, other times it didn't. If he continues in that fashion he will be passed over as a starter and may even fall down the depth chart. Consistency is the foundation Mac is building the program on.

As for Rollins - Of all the RB's that played last season he is the fastest. Does that equate "breakaway" I guess we'll find out when fall rolls around.

Pegram will be the starter on opening day. He is a better blocker and more reliable than Jimmerson. Jimmerson however has much better big play potential. I think Rollins will also see a lot of time, he is the fastest of the returning backs and will challenge Jimmerson for the number 2 position. I don't think the freshmen will see a lot of action.

If S&C grades are a good indication Rollins seems to be pretty well recovered from his injury. Mark Lewis had the best grade of the running backs which tells me that he is gaining both strength and speed. My only problem with Lewis is that he doesn't seem to have the speed for long runs. But, he is quick to the hole and with even with a halfway decent line will seldom lose yards.

Rollins burst really surprised me last year. I don't know how overall fast he is, but his short burst acceleration impressed me. Hope the injury didnt take any of that away.

Rollins burst really surprised me last year. I don't know how overall fast he is, but his short burst acceleration impressed me. Hope the injury didnt take any of that away.

it was a shoulder injury so i dont think it will. actually, now that i think about it, i am not sure he will be ready for contact by the beginning of the season. if i remember correctly, he tore a ligament from the bone and that is a pretty serious deal for a kid who has to repeatedly put his shoulders down and hit people. hope i am wrong cause he is quite the athlete. the freshmen probably will both be redshirted unless they are absolutely far and away better than the 2nd group of rbs (evans, lewis, rollins). Mac will redshirt talented guys if he feel comfortable with the older guys at their position. why waste a year of ivery's eligibility if he will rarely play. now, special teams is a different story. anyway, evans is supposed to be a good rb so i forsee the freshmen geting redshirts. we have a lot of capable guys back there!!!

Good post!

Anyone have an update on Rollins? I would imagine they hold him out of spring ball.

I also am interested to see how Mark Lewis fares.

Rollins got quite a few reps yesterday, but of course defenders are instructed to have no contact with him, so his runs look just that much better probably because of such.