2015 Outlook: Quarterbacks

GrayEagle

I thought that I'd do a 'next year's outlook' for each position as we go into spring. Would like to hear opinions on who will be on the two-deep roster going into the fall.

Quarterbacks

Coach: Mike Canales

Losses: D. Thompson, Berglund

Returning: McNulty, Williams

Gains: Greer, Means, Shanbour

Most Experienced: McNulty

Best Runner: Williams

Best Passer: Greer

This position will be the most controversial and rightly so. Who the starter is may likely depend on what type of offense we decide to run. If the offense is similar to last year, that is primarily run first, then it should be a real battle between Williams and McNulty. Little Mac may be the better athlete but I'm not convinced that he's the better quarterback. Williams may have more talent but is lacking in experience and desire. Greer hasn't been a runner and it could take awhile for him to learn that aspect. Means needs time to develop any sort of game.

We have potentially the two best receivers coming in the fall since Ron Shanklin and Barry Moore back in the late 60s. I really believe that we'll see a different offense this coming year; one that will be 55-60% passing. If it were not intended then why would we even sign Greer?

Players in bold are/were starters. Players in italics have questioned eligibility for this coming year.

• Upvote 2

I think if offensive philosophy stays the same and McCarney has as much input as we all think he will, the job is McNulty's to lose.

Any deviation from last year's philosophy, or if McCarney gives Chico more leeway, we could see Williams or Greer. It's all a bunch of guessing right now, but at least it's not uniforms or conference re-alignment talk.

• Upvote 2

This position will be the most controversial and rightly so. Who the starter is may likely depend on what type of offense we decide to run. If the offense is similar to last year, that is primarily run first, then it should be a real battle between Williams and McNulty.

Alternatively: The type of offense we decide to run will likely determine the starter.

If Mac wants to remain conservative, it will likely be McNulty.

Seems like Greer (from Navarro ? ) might have an advantage with more on the field success and action in college than any of the others. BUT, I am really looking forward to seeing the QB competition because I think the future long term (at least 3 to fours year tenure) is somewhere in the current mix. Coach Mac has an opportunity with a good offensive line returning, good receiving talent and real good running backs. So, again, seems like maturity and actual on field experience gives an early nod to Greer with this offensive set up.

• Upvote 1

GrayEagle started a good QB hot topic thread here. Frankly, I think it's going to be a great battle with the strongest QB (but inexperienced) group we have had in many years. So for my worthless two cents I'm still going with:

1: Greer 2: Williams or maybe Little Mac 3: Grow the others for future trophies.

• Upvote 1

Seeing as how Williams was pushing DT for the starting spot at the beginning of last season, I think it's his to lose. If McNulty wasn't good enough then, I don't think he's good enough now. Greer is the wildcard in all of this, since he seems to be the most experienced QB. All depends on how well he can acclimate to the system.

1. Williams

2. Greer

3. McNulty

Edited by UNTGuy5
  • Upvote 1

Everyone keeps saying if Mac wants to be conservative, he'll play McNulty. McNulty is a turnover machine.

Mac has avoided the QB discussion and brought in excellent QBs to see what happens.

????????????????????????

I don't associate McNulty with a ball control offense. Anytime you get a back up in there you always see the tendency to play it safe. If he does win the job I don't think you can point to his past mop up duty or the game against Tulsa as a sign of what our offense will be. I think people are rushing to judgement that he is the safe the pick.

I think this is a very wide open race. I've been a strong proponent for DW all along bc he has always looked the part since I first saw him play in high school. I'm gonna hold my final judgement till I see some competition on the field.

Right now I think McNulty is 1a DW is 1b and Greer is 2.

• Upvote 1

Just curious . . . upon what do you base this? Williams' real strength is in his accuracy as a passer. And I imagine both McNulty and Means are at least even with Williams in running ability.

He bases it on Williams can run and Greer can't run as well. He also bases it on Greer has the prototypical size and should have a better arm.

I know it's trendy to say McNulty is the guy b/c coach Mac has ties to him, but there is no way he brings in Greer if it was McNulty's job to lose.

I'm halfway leaning towards agreeing with this. I'm thinking, "IF it's anything like last year..." because remember, that's about how everyone was thinking last year. On one hand there was the assumption that the job was Derek's to lose, but then we were bringing in new guys, but then Derek got the job anyway...

So in comparison we were saying, "There is no way he brings in Berglund and signs Williams if it's Derek's job to lose." Well, not everyone was saying that, but quite a few were. And lo and behold, Derek was the starter. However, Derek had a lot more experience starting in the system. Maybe overall Mac will be as good as his series at Georgia, maybe he'd be as bad as his interception vs. Idaho. Tough to tell. But I don't think DMac likes making any assumptions and prefers to enhance the competition no matter what, even if he's fairly sure he already has his guy.

Honestly, I think half of the misdirection is intentional and half is because he doesn't want to make up his mind too early, especially with as much that can happen with everything from injuries to big developments from underdogs. If I had to guess now...hmm. I'd probably say Dajon followed by Mac in the 2-deep, with Greer getting ready to take either spot if he's learned enough by mid-season, just depending upon how the other two perform on the field.

I think the competition will be wide open, but my pick is Greer. McCarney seems to like QB's that can follow the scrip and not take a lot of chances. Thompson excelled in his system at least after they gave up on the screen pass. I don't think Williams has the maturity that McCarney requires. So it will be between Greer and McNulty. I think if Greer shows McCarney that he can follow direction, he has physical advantages over McNulty, but so did Berglund. McNulty has a big experience advantage, not so much on the field but in the program, and if Greer doesn't prove himself; he will be the starter.

The problem with having a four year starter who (mostly) stayed healthy is you really have zero idea who is going to be good behind him.

For all we've seen of McNulty, he could be the next coming of Andrew Smith and we would have no idea. He came in, cold, two plays into a blowout against Arky State in 2011 and went 14-26 for 136-1-1 (a game where we were down 31-0 at the half). Same deal with another 2011 blowout against Tulsa (28-3 at the half), where he posted a 11-18, 158-0-2 line. Outside of those two games, he has a total of 13 passes under his belt. Not sure if you can tell much of anything from that tiny sample size in those game situations.

Dajon Williams looked absolutely amazing during each his six throws in a blowout agaist Idaho. But it's crazy to try and call him the next coming based on that sample size, either. Same goes for Connor Means, Quinn Shanbour, or Josh Greer. They have played exactly zero snaps, and at least two of them probably won't... ever.

Uncertainty isn't all doom and gloom. Hope always springs eternal, and that's really part of the fun of watching your team. But, realistically... we have no idea what any of these guys have in the bag. Yet.

• Upvote 1

The problem with having a four year starter who (mostly) stayed healthy is you really have zero idea who is going to be good behind him.

For all we've seen of McNulty, he could be the next coming of Andrew Smith and we would have no idea. He came in, cold, two plays into a blowout against Arky State in 2011 and went 14-26 for 136-1-1 (a game where we were down 31-0 at the half). Same deal with another 2011 blowout against Tulsa (28-3 at the half), where he posted a 11-18, 158-0-2 line. Outside of those two games, he has a total of 13 passes under his belt. Not sure if you can tell much of anything from that tiny sample size in those game situations.

Dajon Williams looked absolutely amazing during each his six throws in a blowout agaist Idaho. But it's crazy to try and call him the next coming based on that sample size, either. Same goes for Connor Means, Quinn Shanbour, or Josh Greer. They have played exactly zero snaps, and at least two of them probably won't... ever.

Uncertainty isn't all doom and gloom. Hope always springs eternal, and that's really part of the fun of watching your team. But, realistically... we have no idea what any of these guys have in the bag. Yet.

McNulty started that Tulsa game in 2011... believe me, I remember

• Upvote 1