UNT makes it official with Carter and Hicks

Harry

UNT head coach Dan McCarney made it official this afternoon, announcing the hiring of new assistant coaches Perry Carter and LaMarcus Hicks.

We went over this pretty extensively on the blog not too long ago.

Carter spent eight seasons with the Houston Texans, including four as an assistant defensive backs coach. His UNT tie is that he spent the 2004 season working for Scotty Conley, the Mean Greens director of football operations.

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/02/unt-makes-it-official-with-carter-and-hicks.html/#sthash.L6hHAVgA.dpuf

I think Brett is right on with his thoughts and questions here. Both of the new guys have NFL backgrounds which is a good thing. The difference is Carter is either looking to get in the college game or perhaps looking at this as a quick stop before he lands another NFL position. I'm certain that Mac has had the discussion with him in regards to this. On Hicks, he has a better pedigree than both Joseph and Walters had coming into the college coaching pool, however, Joseph and Walters proved the could do the job at the D-I level. So I think both of the new guys have a bigger upside if they follow Mac's instruction. Both still have to prove they can get the job done at this level and I think they will.

One other thought is that Skladany also has a prior relationship with Hicks from ISU so that is another important recommendation to consider. Hicks was a 1st team ALL Big 12 selection at DB under Skladany.

So no one is concerned.... interesting.

Well, as someone that hates to see anyone have a strong and positive relationship broken up against their wishes, I'm certainly concerned. But coaches (especially assistant coaches) moving on is generally regarded as part of the job....or culture if you will. Especially if they are very successful coaches.

Now if you know of something about the new hires to be concerned about, and/or you have some knowledge about some very fragile psyches amongst the defensive players then please share.

• Upvote 2

I think there was an episode of The Cape with a pair of assassins called Goggles and Hicks...but since I appear to be the only person on the planet who actually watched The Cape, I wouldn't have expected anyone else to have mentioned it...