No real dissatisfaction with June Jones' performance at SMU yet

Harry

Question: Ironic that Larry Brown credits June Jones for helping him get the job at SMU, and LB's success points out that the football team has plateaued. How much longer before June's seat starts getting hot?

Cowlishaw: I've felt (and I'm hardly alone on this) that rebuilding SMU's basketball team would be much easier than getting football back to where it once was. I think June needs to do better, no doubt about that, but I don't think there's a real dissatisfaction. Yet.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20140221-cowlishaw-no-real-dissatisfaction-with-june-jones-performance-at-smu-yet.ece

When we win in September, I would expect the dissatisfaction to increase just a bit. I'm being optimistic, of course, but I'm already looking forward (with trepidation) to that game.

He doesn't look like he wants to be there when I see him on the sidelines on tv.

I agree, but then he really looks like he doesn't want to be anywhere, The guy makes Calvin Coolidge look charismatic.

He is a guy who hates his job but loves his paycheck. If another paycheck comes along he throws up the dueces... if nit he will remain there as long as he gets paid to be a failure of a head coach...

to be fair though, football coaches feed off the crowd, eg coach Mac begging us to fill the stands, it has to be very hard for JJ to feel good about taking all that money when 17 people are in the stands. That's a dichotomy of money vs his value there if you ask me.

He is a guy who hates his job but loves his paycheck. If another paycheck comes along he throws up the dueces... if nit he will remain there as long as he gets paid to be a failure of a head coach...

to be fair though, football coaches feed off the crowd, eg coach Mac begging us to fill the stands, it has to be very hard for JJ to feel good about taking all that money when 17 people are in the stands. That's a dichotomy of money vs his value there if you ask me.

Good point.

Regardless of the performance on the football field I know June Jones is a great man because of his work with inner city ministries. His integrity cannot be questioned he turned down an AQ job for inner city kids, what an incredible person.

Good facetious point.

Didn't he turn about their program completely and take them to 3 straight bowl games? I think they were a win away from last year as well.

Would have been nice to have been failing like that around here 2005-2012.

Based on expectations, perceived value, attendance, and lack of excitement, he is still fail. He is just not "epic fail". And considering that attendance here was actually pretty good during the time you mentioned, maybe JJ has exposed a problem for SMU; lack of any noticeable community support.