Consolidate the position, hire Akina

Akina was good enough to coach DBs by himself at Texas. Give whatever money Joseph and Walters were paid, plus a little more, and beg Akina to come here for at least as season.

One hire, one hell of a coach.

Go get him, RV and Mac!

gyi0061492597.0_cinema_1050.0.jpg

Well, that should provide the close coordination between safety and cornerbacks coach that Mac was talking about.

Too old

We need young blood

Being old may be a plus. He may not want to bounce around anymore. A young coach is still looking for the big payday and the big stage.

Akina would be a huge upgrade and a homerun hire. Even if he old stayed 2 years, it is a big name within the DB coaching community. He is considered a guru and could change recruiting dramatically if he was old and wanted to settle down.

Only issue may be between his style and skladany. Skladany has run the defense with little or no input. Akina is not the kind if coach that will shut up and listen.

• Upvote 1

As someone who is disinterestedly ignorant of UT football, I would like to know more about him.

All I know about Texas is that they have all the money, get whatever recruits they want, and they under perform. How does Akina relate to that? Do the UT DBs always do well?

Wiki:

In 28 years of coaching football, Akina has coached three Thorpe Award winners in Darryll Lewis (1990), Michael Huff (2005), and Aaron Ross (2006), as well as five finalists for the award, among them Chris McAlister. Twenty of his defensive backs have also gone on to play in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

Wiki:

In 28 years of coaching football, Akina has coached three Thorpe Award winners in Darryll Lewis (1990), Michael Huff (2005), and Aaron Ross (2006), as well as five finalists for the award, among them Chris McAlister. Twenty of his defensive backs have also gone on to play in the NFL.

Whatever. Who wants an old like that? Get me Doug from Accounts Receivable. Seems like a good dude and there's a lot of potential to grow into the position.

• Upvote 3

Akina made 400k at UT, so if he wants it for the money, then it is a waste for unt to look at him.

Akina can get a job if he wants one. Probably an NFL job too. maybe his asking price us too high, but im sure there are plenty of schools who would fire thier current DB coaches if they could get akina.

Hes about 56 years old.

Whatever. Who wants an old like that? Get me Doug from Accounts Receivable. Seems like a good dude and there's a lot of potential to grow into the position.

Agreed. Akina probably only has 10-12 years left at most. Might as well go with youth.

EDIT for TFLF: ;)

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 2

Did someone really say too old? The guy was born in 1958. Is 55-56 too old? Really? How old was McCarney when we hired him. Skladany?

With this mindset, who among our coaches is "too old"?

McCarney - born 1953
Canales - 1961
Skladany - 1948
Grant - 1970
Quartaro - 1955
Patrick - 1971
Simmonds - 1964

I think only Perry and Wintrich are under 40.

Call me crazy, but a guy who has been defensive coordinator at two P5 schools, and has produced Thorpe Award winners at both of those schools as well, is welcome here at the ripe old age of mid-50s...any day of the week.

Sheesh.

• Upvote 1

Did someone really say too old? The guy was born in 1958. Is 55-56 too old? Really? How old was McCarney when we hired him. Skladany?

McCarney - born 1953

Canales - 1961

Skladany - 1948

Grant - 1970

Quartaro - 1955

Patrick - 1971

Simmonds - 1964

Call me crazy, but a guy who has been defensive coordinator at two P5 schools, and has produced Thorpe Award winners at both of those schools as well, is welcome here at the ripe old age of mid-50s...any day of the week.

Sheesh.

Kenny Buyers is under 25. We ought to hire him.

McCarney - born 1953

Canales - 1961

Skladany - 1948

Grant - 1970

Quartaro - 1955

Patrick - 1971

Simmonds - 1964

Sheesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APXLid0D584

Too old

We need young blood

Youth is over rated. Amos Alonza Stagg (who coached against Odus Mitchell in the Optimist bowl) was 95 when he quit coaching. I'll admit, that IS old, but I will take proven experience over youthful exuberance any time. Todd Dodge was young.

Akina was making more than double what our coordinators make. Best case scenario is that we could pay him about $250 grand less than he made last year. Highly doubtful that he'd be interested.

On another note, Mac is not wanting for candidates and I'd bet that he's pretty close to knowing the capabilities of each. I predict that he'll hire some more Tommy Perrys and we'll be just fine. Besides, Texas with all of its high-powered, highly paid coaches finished less than ten spots ahead of us in pass defense last year. Somehow I feel that Skladany had a hand in that and he's still here.

• Upvote 1

Akina was making more than double what our coordinators make. Best case scenario is that we could pay him about $250 grand less than he made last year. Highly doubtful that he'd be interested.

On another note, Mac is not wanting for candidates and I'd bet that he's pretty close to knowing the capabilities of each. I predict that he'll hire some more Tommy Perrys and we'll be just fine. Besides, Texas with all of its high-powered, highly paid coaches finished less than ten spots ahead of us in pass defense last year. Somehow I feel that Skladany had a hand in that and he's still here.

Yes. I'm sure we would have been only ten spots below Texas if we were facing Big 12 opponents week in and week out as well.

Instead of gettings into whether or not C-USun Belt competition is stronger than Big 12 competition, though, just list for me the DBs in the NFL coached by Akina in college; then, list for me the DBs in the NFL coached by the two fella who just left here.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I'm sure we would have been only ten spots below Texas if we were facing Big 12 opponents week in and week out as well.

Instead of gettings into whether or not C-USun Belt competition is stronger than Big 12 competition, though, just list for me the DBs in the NFL coached by Akina in college; then, list for me the DBs in the NFL coached by the two fella who just left here.

Not sure how you can compare a guy who has been a D-1 coach at larger schools since 1982 to the two guys that just left. Noah Joseph has been a D-1 coach since 2003 and his two previous schools were Eastern Illinois and Montana State. And Ryan Walters has been a D-1 coach since 2011.