Let us not forget...

Harry

That's interesting. I used to think that the Lab Band did not exist until around 1959....and that it had evolved out of "Fresser Graham's" band.

Bill, I could be confused. I spent 1951-54 in the service and came back to finish in 1957 so I had two stints at NT. We definitely had bands play during the day at times and I'm reasonably certain that they were called lab bands (although maybe not the One O'Clock). Fesser Graham''s band (The Aces of Collegeland) only played the Saturday Night Stage Show and special occasions as I recall but the day group could've been some of those band members.

I've had some great and memorable experiences and could be the only alum to have attended the last class of NTSTC as a freshman and the last class of NTSC, from which I graduated. I did not attend the last game at old Memorial Stadium but I did get to attend the first game at Fouts because I was home on leave. And, of course, I attended the last game at Fouts. I'm definitely not the only one to do that but our ranks are thinning.

• Upvote 3

-/

So i then calculated he went to OU. So i asked him if he graduated from OU. He response was "no i go to UNT." WHAT THE HELL so i was immediately angry and long story short. I told him he can take HIS SOONER a$$ back to Oklahoma.

There will always be a few of these types around. I know a UNT grad from the early Oughts who has never set foot on the campus of any SEC school, yet claims whichever one of them is doing best each season like he was a die-hard alum, all the while crapping on anything positive coming out of UNT football.

He's not the first person with this kind of attitude I've known around here. D/FW is rife with sports front runners, and they exist even in our current student population and our alumni.

Best thing to do is just ignore them. They're miserable.

• Upvote 1

Had a little run in last night with a UNT student at sports authority. So if you haven't been to sports authority in Denton lately UNT athletics is up to one entire rack of clothing wear! (still disappointing) So we were checking out and the cashier looked of collegiate age so i made a simple statement of "you think there will ever be a larger selection of UNT apparel" He came back with the statement "NEVER they are terrible." I then made a statement that UNT won the Heart of Dallas bowl this year. His comeback was well OU won the Sugar Bowl. All i said was Apple and Oranges.

So i calculated that obviously he was not a UNT student. So i attempted to try and brighten the mood and say atleast there is not a Texas Tech selection (trying to find something maybe we agree on). He then said yeah but atleast there is a large selection of OU merchandise.

So i then calculated he went to OU. So i asked him if he graduated from OU. He response was "no i go to UNT." WHAT THE HELL so i was immediately angry and long story short. I told him he can take HIS SOONER a$$ back to Oklahoma.

that kind of idiot better get used to manning a register

Had a little run in last night with a UNT student at sports authority. So if you haven't been to sports authority in Denton lately UNT athletics is up to one entire rack of clothing wear! (still disappointing) So we were checking out and the cashier looked of collegiate age so i made a simple statement of "you think there will ever be a larger selection of UNT apparel" He came back with the statement "NEVER they are terrible." I then made a statement that UNT won the Heart of Dallas bowl this year. His comeback was well OU won the Sugar Bowl. All i said was Apple and Oranges.

So i calculated that obviously he was not a UNT student. So i attempted to try and brighten the mood and say atleast there is not a Texas Tech selection (trying to find something maybe we agree on). He then said yeah but atleast there is a large selection of OU merchandise.

I probably would've said worse.

Seriously, though, screw Sports Authority in Denton.

• Upvote 2

OK, I win. My first year at North Texas there was no UB/Student Union. One did open the following year, however, where the Administration Building now stands and we thought we were in heaven. It had a huge lounge called the Howdy Room where there were dances, post office, two places to eat, trophy room, and I believe the bookstore. There was a slab out back for dancing, roller skating, ROTC ceremonies, etc. We had concerts by the One O'Clock Lab Band and other groups. There were pre-game pep rallies on the front steps. It certainly wasn't as elegant but much homier than its successor.

You are breaking my heart with those old memories, GrayEagle. By the way, do you remember when the Jack Parr Tonight Show came to campus and did a segment on the program about the campus and the Lab Band? Just watching that piece that night convinced me that I was at a special place at at a special time. It is so sad to think that when A@M was going through big changes by going coed and all, they made sure they held on to their traditions and even reinforced them, while ours were falling by the wayside. When the new union is complete, we need to bring back the weekly One O'Clock performances and have them play outside again. I can still remember how the entire campus was drawn to the union back then when they began to play. We were a small campus back then, but a REAL campus. Does anyone remember the NT Push? It was all ours.
  • Upvote 1

Yep...and now they use latex.

I lol'd.

Not me...he beat me to it.

In the early 60's at NTSC, there was dancing on the slab behind the UB. The music was played by the Fesser and His Aces. Most important, can you still get the coffee cake at the current Union?

I've heard about this coffee cake many times over the years. What's the deal with that? Was it the best coffee cake ever or something? I've been curious to find out who made it for probably close to 20 years now. Someone must have a recipe floating around somewhere.

Bill, I could be confused. I spent 1951-54 in the service and came back to finish in 1957 so I had two stints at NT. We definitely had bands play during the day at times and I'm reasonably certain that they were called lab bands (although maybe not the One O'Clock). Fesser Graham''s band (The Aces of Collegeland) only played the Saturday Night Stage Show and special occasions as I recall but the day group could've been some of those band members.

I've had some great and memorable experiences and could be the only alum to have attended the last class of NTSTC as a freshman and the last class of NTSC, from which I graduated. I did not attend the last game at old Memorial Stadium but I did get to attend the first game at Fouts because I was home on leave. And, of course, I attended the last game at Fouts. I'm definitely not the only one to do that but our ranks are thinning.

Pretty sure I know who GrayEagle is now ;)

You are breaking my heart with those old memories, GrayEagle. By the way, do you remember when the Jack Parr Tonight Show came to campus and did a segment on the program about the campus and the Lab Band? Just watching that piece that night convinced me that I was at a special place at at a special time. It is so sad to think that when A@M was going through big changes by going coed and all, they made sure they held on to their traditions and even reinforced them, while ours were falling by the wayside. When the new union is complete, we need to bring back the weekly One O'Clock performances and have them play outside again. I can still remember how the entire campus was drawn to the union back then when they began to play. We were a small campus back then, but a REAL campus. Does anyone remember the NT Push? It was all ours.

Awesome story about Jack Parr. It would be amazing to see that if a copy still exists.

If we are on the subject of telling stories of UNT misperception, I have a doozy story. LAST NIGHT I was at my son's basketball game (he's 10) and one of the asst. coaches who is probably 17 yrs old is talking to another guy who I think said he goes to UNT. At some point the 17 yr old says "I'm thinking about going to UNT, but I want to live on campus". HUH? So that perception out there is still very much alive and kicking. After all of the dorms built (10s of millions in development) and all that has been done to fight that perception, it still exists. I had to bite my tongue not to walk across the room and interrupt the conversation. I think the other guy did say something to set him straight but that's not really my point. People still think lil' ol' UNT is a commuter school. A 36K student commuter school...

• Upvote 1

If we are on the subject of telling stories of UNT misperception, I have a doozy story. LAST NIGHT I was at my son's basketball game (he's 10) and one of the asst. coaches who is probably 17 yrs old is talking to another guy who I think said he goes to UNT. At some point the 17 yr old says "I'm thinking about going to UNT, but I want to live on campus". HUH? So that perception out there is still very much alive and kicking. After all of the dorms built (10s of millions in development) and all that has been done to fight that perception, it still exists. I had to bite my tongue not to walk across the room and interrupt the conversation. I think the other guy did say something to set him straight but that's not really my point. People still think lil' ol' UNT is a commuter school. A 36K student commuter school...

Eh, that may be still a thought nowadays, but it's a dying thought.

To be honest, you may be taking that comment a little too literally.

Not me...he beat me to it.

I've heard about this coffee cake many times over the years. What's the deal with that? Was it the best coffee cake ever or something? I've been curious to find out who made it for probably close to 20 years now. Someone must have a recipe floating around somewhere.

http://www.unt.edu/president/insider/october2002/cakerecipe.htm

Sooo...when I come back (or maybe meet you guys in El Paso in November) should I make a batch of that? Sounds like as good a time as any...I'll test it out on my kids (I sound like a mad scientist) and see how it comes out.

• Upvote 1

Sainthood initiated.

----

Also, I know a lot of you old timers are lamenting the lost glories of Unions past, but really everything ya'll have mentioned has continued right up until the construction came to start renovations last year.

Different lab bands playing each Thursday and big sell-out One O'Clock shows? Check.

Bookstore extension where you could listen to albums/read magazines, books, etc.? Check.

Now this elusive coffee cake...

----

I really look forward to seeing how the new Union turns out and an excited about how the Syndicate becomes a little more utilized with its optional outdoor performance aspects.

It's great to be an alum right now.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 2

Was told there is going to be a "traditions" display location inside?

I hope so.

Rick

Me too, Rick. We should certainly have a photo gallery of famous UNT alumni in the new union going back at least to actress Joan Blondell and right up to the present. By the way, I made that coffee cake not long ago from a recipe in the North Texan. Man, talk about deja vu all over again.