Ticket just did too 5 worst sports hires in metroplex history

UNT90

I should be careful lest I get minus a million like you just did, but I'd vote for any station carrying Russ Martin.

Don't knock the treehouse...I listen ever day and ever since his eagle days taking over for stern...nnever cared for stern...but enjoy Russ. .. Edited by THOR

Those who loyally donated and bought season tickets through all four of those years should be considered the greatest college football fans in CFB history.

Rick

Sadly...or thankfully...I bought season tickets for the first time his first year...that shit made me excited for football...and now appreciate what we have more than ever...

Sadly...or thankfully...I bought season tickets for the first time his first year...that shit made me excited for football...and now appreciate what we have more than ever...

Yep, my first season ticket year was 2008. Dodge is what got me back interested in the program.

But those 1st five years were HARD!

Dodge gets a lot of deserved criticism on here, but he did not hire himself. He was a very risky hire that backfired.

I still think his tenure might have been a lot better if he had been a little less arrogant or RV would have forbid the hiring of a high school coaching staff.

In retrospect, Trilli was also doomed at the beginning with his and Helwig's plan of playing only the very best with a totally unprepared young team.

Helwig's idea for budgeting the Ath Dept was to schedule as many body bag games as he could while spending a little as possible. Im not sure any coaches could be successful in that model. Ive always thought the Matt Simon and Tim Jankovich were good coaches (and have proven so at other jobs) but they had their hands tied here.

Grand Green hit the nail on the head, having both basketball and football teams play paydays on the road. It was designed for failure, and the 1st thing our new president did was to fire the A.D.

Regarding Dodge, he was in over his head, but R.V. should have required all of his assistants to have a college coaching background. A friend of mine is a former high school coach, and instead of supporting anyone who moves directly into a head college football position,they are actually resentful since he didn't pay his dues thru the assistant college coaching ranks.Fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.

Niope

Vic Trilli checked in at #5, with a discussion of the 74 point loss to Maryland discussed (apperantly Rich Philkips issued the line "damn, I had Maryland minus 75")

Todd Dodge checked in at #3 with the discussion that his coaching record was the 6th worst winning percentage in NCAA history.

George was just so beat down.

For those that care, #2 was the imfamous one game wonder Eddie Stankty.

The top prize went to announcer turned head Mavs coach Quinn Buckner, who holds the worst record of any rookie NBA coach that completed at least one season.

If its Trillii, Dodge, Stanky and Buckner who is the other one?

Niope

Vic Trilli checked in at #5, with a discussion of the 74 point loss to Maryland discussed (apperantly Rich Philkips issued the line "damn, I had Maryland minus 75")

Todd Dodge checked in at #3 with the discussion that his coaching record was the 6th worst winning percentage in NCAA history.

George was just so beat down.

For those that care, #2 was the imfamous one game wonder Eddie Stankty.

The top prize went to announcer turned head Mavs coach Quinn Buckner, who holds the worst record of any rookie NBA coach that completed at least one season.

I remember listening to that Maryland game and wondering how bad it would be. Benford is not doing well, but he has a ways to go to get to the Trilli/Newman years. Those were pretty bad.

Actually Stephens was worse than either Trilli or Dodge, but I don't think WBB registers high enough for many to care. She set the record for suspended players and ruined a fairly promising team. Amber Jackson would have been a HOF players and ended up kicked off the team. She also lost a lot of games by record margins. She was also to my knowledge the first HC in the big three sports to be terminated with years to go on her contract.

Another factor is that NT has always been a slave to the budget, comparing NT's hires with pro programs is silly. Trilli was at least on paper not a bad hire. Dodge was a big gamble, that got a lot of favorable press until he spectacularly failed.

• Upvote 1