Ohio State transfer LB on the market

Harry

It’s Sunday night. That means it’s time for a few notes.

If you followed along on the blog and in the paper on national signing day, you know that UNT is sitting on an open scholarship. UNT is waiting to see if anyone qualifies late or if an interesting transfer prospect pops up. Well, how about this guy?

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/02/sunday-night-notes-ohio-state-transfer-on-the-market.html/

Would be SMU's transfer to lose.

A better situation to follow is that of Dontre Wilson (RB) Desoto. Actually committed to Oregon but signed with the Buckeyes after Chip Kelly went to the Philadelphia Eagles. Played a lot as a true freshman but still buried behind OSU's stable of running backs.

All-American last year and was part of one hell of a backfield with Desmon White.

• Upvote 1

This is why basketball success can't be stressed enough. Everything is connected, and situations arise where basketball will really help your football team. If smu lands him, they just got the number one player in Texas from 2013

I agree that we need basketball success and it may play a role in this instance, but I don't think it is essential. Alabama, Florida State, A&M, etc... have fair bball programs that don't effect their ability to draw top football talent.

• Upvote 1

Technically he would count towards next class. But that extra scholarship (or two) could carry over to the 2015 class where it would end up going to him. Hope we get him though. Private school kid, so have to wonder if that aspect helps SMU or TCU. Hopefully he gives us a look.

Unless he got a NCAA waiver

• Upvote 1

I agree that we need basketball success and it may play a role in this instance, but I don't think it is essential. Alabama, Florida State, A&M, etc... have fair bball programs that don't effect their ability to draw top football talent.

Yes but in this cas we are specifically talking about being able to recruit his 5* basketball recruit brother as a package deal.

SMU actually has a basketball program right now. I think they're both ponies this time next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let's not forget that McCarney coached with Urban Meyer at Florida. Could be our secret weapon in this situation. Still not likely in my opinion though.

I hope that Mac is on the horn with Urban! This would be an incredible pickup and the kid would be very close to home, even if the younger brother decided to go to SMU for hoops.

• Upvote 1