Q & A with new President Neal Smatresk

Harry

You were well known for being very involved in UNLV sports. How do you plan to carry that to UNT?

[Laughs] Well, obviously I’m a big sports fan. And I also believe that sports are an integral part of the higher education experience. Not everyone wants to go to every game, but they create a certain excitement on campus on Saturdays when there’s a big football game and everyone’s tailgating, students have something to do and it brings them into the campus.

The longer students spend on a campus, the more likely they are to do well, and the more likely they are to graduate. So those are really good stats. The other reason I’m really interested in sports is because alumni are attracted, and alumni are part of how we help raise money for the university. Donors are attracted; the community cares.

All of those things I call the “front porch,” where people come to watch. They participate in games they’re involved in the university. And then, next thing you know, they want to learn more about it and to maybe hire students, which is a very important piece of alumni networking, or perhaps donate to the university, or get involved by adding their expertise to specific departments or programs.

All of those activities are important, so when you ask me how I’ll personally be involved, I’ll certainly be going to major sports events, men’s and women’s athletics. I’ll try to engage as many people I can, as well as donors. And I will cheer as loud as anybody else.

Read more: http://ntdaily.com/q-a-with-new-president-neal-smatresk/