Breaking news — Looks like Jeffery Wilson is a go

Harry

Jeffery Wilson, a running back from Elkhart, left for home from Denton following his official visit this morning, and while I have yet to get him on the line, it appears that he has committed to UNT.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/02/breaking-news-looks-like-wilson-is-a-go.html/

*Grey-shirt: If a team oversigns, which means they sign more than 25 players to a class, some players may be asked to “grey-shirt”. What this means is that a player commits to the school, and then pays for his own school for a semester to keep his eligibility. This player would either not go to school in the fall at all, or pay his own way for the semester as a part-time student. The player is not officially on the team, and can not practice or condition with the team, or even attend meetings. They are treated like normal students.

When January rolls around, the player can enroll full time and officially join the team. He is then considered part of the recruiting class for the following season. When an athlete starts classes full-time, he/she has 5 calender years to play 4 seasons. Since the grey-shirted athlete was only in school part-time, his 5 year “window” has not started yet. It will begin when he is officially a full-time student. That player can then also “red-shirt” if needed, so they could possibly be on campus for 6 years to play 4 seasons.

read more: http://cardinalsportszone.com/2012/01/31/red-shirt-grey-shirt-what-do-they-mean/

Good. Was hoping we'd get him. Ngalo to SMU and looks like Johnson, the DT from Rowlett, is almost ruled out. Maybe an outside shot at Johnson, but I'm not expecting it. That just leaves X. If we get him, someone grayshirts. If not we filled up the class with Wilson.

What a skill position haul? Two running backs (Wilson and Ivery) combined for 4,422 yards and 63 rushing touchdowns! 63! Not to mention they combined for another 6 touchdowns receiving.

Then you throw in the bonkers stats from our receivers (Adams, Goree, Rutherford, and Davis), 2 of which were first-team all-state selections, among players of all classifications, according to Dave Campbell Texas Football. And bringing in 3 qbs (Greer, Chumley, and Means), including Chumley who has immense potential as a receiving threat at tight end if things don't work out at qb. And we had two true freshman skill players who showed out in limited action lat year (WR Kidsy and QB Dajon).

Asking for all of them to work out might be asking for too much, but you gotta figure some of these guys will become studs. Our class next year will be fun, and with 5 scholarship linemen leaving after next year we'll have plenty to sell to the new guys as far as who they get to block for.

• Upvote 3

*Grey-shirt: If a team oversigns, which means they sign more than 25 players to a class, some players may be asked to “grey-shirt”. What this means is that a player commits to the school, and then pays for his own school for a semester to keep his eligibility. This player would either not go to school in the fall at all, or pay his own way for the semester as a part-time student. The player is not officially on the team, and can not practice or condition with the team, or even attend meetings. They are treated like normal students.

When January rolls around, the player can enroll full time and officially join the team. He is then considered part of the recruiting class for the following season. When an athlete starts classes full-time, he/she has 5 calender years to play 4 seasons. Since the grey-shirted athlete was only in school part-time, his 5 year “window” has not started yet. It will begin when he is officially a full-time student. That player can then also “red-shirt” if needed, so they could possibly be on campus for 6 years to play 4 seasons.

read more: http://cardinalsportszone.com/2012/01/31/red-shirt-grey-shirt-what-do-they-mean/

I'm guessing you are answering wardly's question in the X thread and not assuming Wilson is a grey shirt possibility ?

Kid looks like a stud, good get

*Grey-shirt: If a team oversigns, which means they sign more than 25 players to a class, some players may be asked to grey-shirt. What this means is that a player commits to the school, and then pays for his own school for a semester to keep his eligibility. This player would either not go to school in the fall at all, or pay his own way for the semester as a part-time student. The player is not officially on the team, and can not practice or condition with the team, or even attend meetings. They are treated like normal students.

When January rolls around, the player can enroll full time and officially join the team. He is then considered part of the recruiting class for the following season. When an athlete starts classes full-time, he/she has 5 calender years to play 4 seasons. Since the grey-shirted athlete was only in school part-time, his 5 year window has not started yet. It will begin when he is officially a full-time student. That player can then also red-shirt if needed, so they could possibly be on campus for 6 years to play 4 seasons.

12 hours is the cutoff. 12 hours is a ful time student. Grayshirts must take less than 12 hours that first semester.

I would be careful trying to make someone a bruiser. We tried to add weight to Jamario Thomas, and he was never the same after his record breaking freshman season.

I love that we landed Wilson. This is one I really wanted after seeing his highlights. You don't put up those kinds of numbers without being special.

Really like the pickup but don't see the "power back" described in the write up. (Maybe in 2A) I thought this was a position of need with Jemmerson & Pegram being seniors next year. Rollins and the others aren't feature backs and are reserves/ special team contributors at best. Ivery doesn't look like an every down back but someone you can spread around the field. Looks like a B - class with a chance to move up to B + with Washington.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really like the pickup but don't see the "power back" described in the write up. (Maybe in 2A) I thought this was a position of need with Jemmerson & Pegram being seniors next year. Rollins and the others aren't feature backs and are reserves/ special team contributors at best. Ivery doesn't look like an every down back but someone you can spread around the field. Looks like a B - class with a chance to move up to B + with Washington.

Jimmerson will be a redshirt junior next year.

The power back association he is getting is not because that's how he ran or that he was huge, but rather the fact that he is about 6' tall and has a frame to grow in. Especially from a school that small, his body will be exposed to probably his first legitimate weight program.

Kids who come from the 5A power schools over here have seen programs as close to a college weight program as you can get. I played in one at Arlington Martin, and it is not a college weight program but it's as close as it gets. We worked out twice a day (during the period and after school) all offseason. College is a huge jump up from that. The jump up from Elkhart is enormous. Kid could easily get up to 220 at 6' while maintaining, or gaining, speed. Maybe bigger, but 6' 215 or 220 is ideal for me for an every down back.

This kid has never been on a football field where he wasn't the biggest, strongest and fastest kid out there. BIG jump up in level of competition for this kid. I have watched a lot of Class 2A football and it can be a joke. I like that we are looking under rocks for these kind of athletes. Don't expect to see this kid on the field soon and wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at LB or safety.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

It has been more than a couple of decades, but I had the kind of unusual experience of playing at both the 5A and 2A levels. The difference is HUGE, and even more so these days. Even so, I think this guy has a chance to be special once he adjusts to the scene. Running the ball against Alto or Crockett is a little different than running against Texas or Tennessee.

I would be careful trying to make someone a bruiser. We tried to add weight to Jamario Thomas, and he was never the same after his record breaking freshman season.

I love that we landed Wilson. This is one I really wanted after seeing his highlights. You don't put up those kinds of numbers without being special.

I never believed that added weight was the reason that Jamario was never the same. People claimed that the added weight caused him "hammy" problems, but he suffered from "hammy" issues during his record setting year.

Every time I hear the comment about small school football I always remember one of my favorite RB's at North Texas.....James Mitchell (#37 on your program) from Liberty Christian. AND I would also add the name of Aaron Fortenberry from tiny Era Texas .

I'm going to trust the coaching staff's ability to assess "raw" talent in this situation. And I'm going to trust their ability to get Mr. Wilson ready for his next big challenge.

• Upvote 2

That's why I wouldn't want him to get over 220 lbs. For a kid who is 6' coming out of a small school, I'm sure they'll be able to put plenty of good weight on him. But yes, I don't like coaches putting on as much weight as possible, especially on running backs.

Jimmerson will be a redshirt junior next year.

The power back association he is getting is not because that's how he ran or that he was huge, but rather the fact that he is about 6' tall and has a frame to grow in. Especially from a school that small, his body will be exposed to probably his first legitimate weight program.

Kids who come from the 5A power schools over here have seen programs as close to a college weight program as you can get. I played in one at Arlington Martin, and it is not a college weight program but it's as close as it gets. We worked out twice a day (during the period and after school) all offseason. College is a huge jump up from that. The jump up from Elkhart is enormous. Kid could easily get up to 220 at 6' while maintaining, or gaining, speed. Maybe bigger, but 6' 215 or 220 is ideal for me for an every down back.

That's good to know Billy about Jimmerson. Seems like he played at Desoto 4-5 years ago. I hope this kid does grow 15-20 pounds and maintains his speed. As been pointed out, this was the down fall of Jamario Thomas (and hamstring issues) When I think of a "power back" I'm thinking someone hard to bring down. Falls forward another 2-3 yards with 1-2 people hanging on. A great blocker in the backfield etc. Didn't see any of that in the video. I don't care one way or another. I like what I see now.

Our greatest signee (RB Milton Collins) was about 6-2, 230 and ran about a 4.5/4.6. Milton's problem here was he didn't play like he was 230-235 pounds. He also didn't show the half back speed that made him so special at 2A Bloomingrove. (including the power)

That's good to know Billy about Jimmerson. Seems like he played at Desoto 4-5 years ago. I hope this kid does grow 15-20 pounds and maintains his speed. As been pointed out, this was the down fall of Jamario Thomas (and hamstring issues) When I think of a "power back" I'm thinking someone hard to bring down. Falls forward another 2-3 yards with 1-2 people hanging on. A great blocker in the backfield etc. Didn't see any of that in the video. I don't care one way or another. I like what I see now.

Our greatest signee (RB Milton Collins) was about 6-2, 230 and ran about a 4.5/4.6. Milton's problem here was he didn't play like he was 230-235 pounds. He also didn't show the half back speed that made him so special at 2A Bloomingrove. (including the power)

Yeah, Jimmerson was class of 2011. Redshirted so he'll be in his fourth year on the team next year, but still a junior. You know how redshirts work, obviously.

Yeah, I wouldn't have used the term power back. But rather, a back who is more apt to running in between the tackles. Especially compared to Ivery, as Vito said.

Yup, pass protection will be the biggest transition. Giving these kids the ball is often a smooth transition for true freshmen. Maybe the smoothest transition from high school to college of any position, outside of maybe kicker. Can't say I saw Collins play, but 6'2" 230 is about the same weight distribution as 6' 215, which is what Wilson will probably get up to. I'd maybe prefer 6' 210, but just my preference. As you said, how he runs is a bigger deal than what he weighs.

This is an easy A class compared to past classes, and yes an A class even compared to the 2010 class. If X comes this class has special written all over it. Even w/o X this class will start to pan out in a few years. A couple more classes like this UNT will own the west. We own the West anything can happen.

• Upvote 1