Breaking news -- UNT lands QB Caleb Chumley

Brett Vito

Below quote is written under Caleb's video from the Scout Recruiting Service....(still kinda' strange that Rivals gives him 3 stars and Scout still "only" gives him 2 stars--will that number go up from Scout as it should)? OR.....Is The 2 Star Bit With Chumley A Conspiracy! Bush? SMU? (Heck, gotta' blame somebody)! :)

:bling: Read and let this soak in with your morning cup of coffee:

"Chumley played receiver before moving to quarterback in week nine. In his first game under center he passed for 505 yards, ran for 170 yards and scored seven touchdowns, earning Performer of the Week honors." :shocking: Is Scout pulling a few legs with that or what? If correct, I think some of us will be quite blown away with those stats, right?

(Can I say..............day'um)?!? :shocking:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Below quote is written under Caleb's video from the Scout Recruiting Service....(still kinda' strange that Rivals gives him 3 stars and Scout still "only" gives him 2 stars--will that number go up from Scout as it should)? OR.....Is The 2 Star Bit A Conspiracy! Bush? SMU? (Heck, gotta' blame somebody)! :)

:bling: Read and let this soak in with your morning cup of coffee:

"Chumley played receiver before moving to quarterback in week nine. In his first game under center he passed for 505 yards, ran for 170 yards and scored seven touchdowns, earning Performer of the Week honors." :shocking: Is Scout pulling a few legs with that or what? If correct, I think some of us will be quite blown away with those stats, right?

(Can I say..............day'um)! :shocking:

GMG!

Scout only gave him 2 stars because they have him classified as a qb. 247 has him rated as a tight end with a 3-star grade of 85, good for the 38th best tight end in the country ahead of tight ends committed to schools like Miami (Fl), Ole Miss, Georgia Tech, OU, Virginia, and South Carolina. Elite!

ESPN and Rivals have Chumley classified as an athlete, and he is a 3-star on those sites as well. Scout will almost assuredly leave Chumley listed as a qb because we have openly admitted to giving him a chance to play qb here, whether he ends up here or not. So he will likely remain on 2-star on scout.

No matter what his rating is on scout (or any other recruiting website) Chumley is the type of athlete that you just don't get a chance to have very often. He'll be fun to watch as long as he's here.

• Upvote 1

Scout only gave him 2 stars because they have him classified as a qb. 247 has him rated as a tight end with a 3-star grade of 85, good for the 38th best tight end in the country ahead of tight ends committed to schools like Miami (Fl), Ole Miss, Georgia Tech, OU, Virginia, and South Carolina. Elite!

ESPN and Rivals have Chumley classified as an athlete, and he is a 3-star on those sites as well. Scout will almost assuredly leave Chumley listed as a qb because we have openly admitted to giving him a chance to play qb here, whether he ends up here or not. So he will likely remain on 2-star on scout.

No matter what his rating is on scout (or any other recruiting website) Chumley is the type of athlete that you just don't get a chance to have very often. He'll be fun to watch as long as he's here.

BillySee58:

What is our composite listings of projected 3 star signings this Wednesday and counting those who we might get lucky and sign, too.....like maybe...........the X Man?

Also, how close are some of our 2 stars to being actual 3 stars, too? (I'd wonder how many 2 star recruits back in the day are actually in the North Texas Athletic Hall of Fame today like in..........a whole bunch of em')? :)

Thanks for that info in advance, pal, and we all appreciate what you, Harry and others do in all this recruiting coverage.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

BillySee58:

What is our composite listings of projected 3 star signings this Wednesday and counting those who we might get lucky and sign, too.....like maybe the X Man? Also, how close are some of our 2 stars being actual 3 stars, too?

Thanks for that info in advance!

GMG!

Well we have 9 current commits who are rated 3-stars by at least one of the four major recruiting websites. Our 3-star commits and what services have them rated as a 3-star: Branding Garner (ESPN), Connor Means (ESPN), Andrew Jones (ESPN), Trevor Moore (ESPN), Jalen Adams (ESPN), Willy Ivery (Scout and Rivals), Tee Goree (Scout, Rivals, and 247), and Caleb Chumley (Rivals, 247, and ESPN).

As for almost 3-star ratings: O'Keeron Rutherford has a grade of a 78 on 247 (80 is a 3-star, 70-79 is a 2-star), Shaq Jackson is a 5.4 on Rivals (need a 5.5 for 3-stars) and Josh Greer was just rated a 5.4 on rivals as well.

Also, a few of our 3-stars are very close to being three stars on at least one more website. Fonzale is a 5.4 on rivals, Garner is a 5.4 on rivals, Jalen Adams in a 5.4 on rivals, Andrew Jones is a 78 on 247, Brandon Garner is a 78 on 247, Connor means is a 78 on 247, and Willy Ivery is a 79 on 247.

Another reason we shouldn't always put too much stock into stars (I use offer lists and film ahead of stars) is a guy like Chris Miles, flower mound o-lineman. Look at this offer list. This is easily a 3-star offer list yet he is a 2-star. Very excited to have him and I couldn't care less that he is not a 3-star. Very valuable commit and a smart kid who will do us well on the field and in the classroom.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Christopher-Miles-30226/RecruitInterests

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Christopher-Miles-150444

SN: Yes, X is a 3-star on scout but not anywhere else. He'd be another 3-star for us, albeit a very underrated one at that.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

BillySee 58, do you think there might even be a few HS coaches politics involved with the star rankings as I think it used to be when we "only" had Dave Campbell's Texas Football as our only recruiting guide back in the day? For instance, I read back in they day when a coach really liked one of his players and wanted him to get a 'ship offer to USC (or the like) he would call up

Well we have 9 current commits who are rated 3-stars by at least one of the four major recruiting websites. Our 3-star commits and what services have them rated as a 3-star: Branding Garner (ESPN), Connor Means (ESPN), Andrew Jones (ESPN), Trevor Moore (ESPN), Jalen Adams (ESPN), Willy Ivery (Scout and Rivals), Tee Goree (Scout, Rivals, and 247), and Caleb Chumley (Rivals, 247, and ESPN).

As for almost 3-star ratings: O'Keeron Rutherford has a grade of a 78 on 247 (80 is a 3-star, 70-79 is a 2-star), Shaq Jackson is a 5.4 on Rivals (need a 5.5 for 3-stars) and Josh Greer was just rated a 5.4 on rivals as well.

Also, a few of our 3-stars are very close to being three stars on at least one more website. Fonzale is a 5.4 on rivals, Garner is a 5.4 on rivals, Jalen Adams in a 5.4 on rivals, Andrew Jones is a 78 on 247, Brandon Garner is a 78 on 247, Connor means is a 78 on 247, and Willy Ivery is a 79 on 247.

Another reason we shouldn't always put too much stock into stars (I use offer lists and film ahead of stars) is a guy like Chris Miles, flower mound o-lineman. Look at this offer list. This is easily a 3-star offer list yet he is a 2-star. Very excited to have him and I couldn't care less that he is not a 3-star. Very valuable commit and a smart kid who will do us well on the field and in the classroom.
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Christopher-Miles-30226/RecruitInterests
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Christopher-Miles-150444

BillySee58, I honestly think most all on this board have all this stars business in the right perspective but...........still kinda' makes all this fun during this part of the year.

Most would know that many of our 2 stars will be future Mean Green star athletes in Mean Green Country, too. :thumbsu:

Ya...

No.

Yeah, but the board still went pretty crazy when we got him. I agree though, not nearly like if it was a 4-star high school kid.

Willy Ivery was initially rated an 87 by 247, but they dropped him down to a 79 for no reason. Almost a 4-star, dropped down to 2-star despite having an outstanding senior season. Gotta love the politics of recruiting. Had he committed to a Big 12 or an SEC school there is a very good chance he would've been either a 4-star or stayed a very high 3-star. Kids a stud regardless. I think he'll be one of our return men this year and do a great job.

The better argument is that the board won't be going crazy because of the 4 star athlete that commits to us, but rather because of the list of major schools we beat out for said future athlete.

Not a knock against Mr. Wallace, but I'm always leery of the 4 star transfer. We have had several of those that were never even able to break the 2 deep at UNT. There is a usually a reason they transferred from the 1st school.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The better argument is that the board won't be going crazy because of the 4 star athlete that commits to us, but rather because of the list of major schools we beat out for said future athlete.

Not a knock against Mr. Wallace, but I'm always leery of the 4 star transfer. We have had several of those that were never even able to break the 2 deep at UNT. There is a usually a reason they transferred from the 1st school.

Absolutely. Getting a 4-star recruit means we got a coveted player who big schools wanted as well.

As for 4-star transfers, the thing I like about Wallace is that he did not redshirt at Oregon. Redshirting is not a bad thing and a countless amount of successful players redshirt as true freshmen, but if a kid is able to go to a school like Oregon and not redshirt as a freshman then it shows that they were good enough to not be buried on the depth chart by all that talent.

Some players redshirt because the team has good depth at that player's position, mostly all linemen and qbs redshirt, and some players get redshirted because they are just buried on the depth chart. Stradford redshirted at OU because he was buried. Trice and Pegram did not redshirt at OU and Purdue respectively. Not always how things work, exceptions to everything, but I really like the fact that Wallace did not redshirt at Oregon as a true freshman.

Edited by BillySee58

Absolutely. Getting a 4-star recruit means we got a coveted player who big schools wanted as well.

As for 4-star transfers, the thing I like about Wallace is that he did not redshirt at Oregon. Redshirting is not a bad thing and a countless amount of successful players redshirt as true freshmen, but if a kid is able to go to a school like Oregon and not redshirt as a freshman then it shows that they were good enough to not be buried on the depth chart by all that talent.

Some players redshirt because the team has good depth at that player's position, mostly all linemen and qbs redshirt, and some players get redshirted because they are just buried on the depth chart. Stradford redshirted at OU because he was buried. Trice and Pegram did not redshirt at OU and Purdue respectively. Not always how things work, exceptions to everything, but I really like the fact that Wallace did not redshirt at Oregon as a true freshman.

I agree with this as well, but there is still always that question when associated with the transfer from a bigger school.

Problem is, we really have no clue until after Spring ball when the 2 deep is released, so we spend a year with great expectations, often only to find after Spring ball that the highly regarded transfer is buried on the depth chart.

Look no further than Brock Berglund for a recent overreaction example.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So he has 2 years here correct?

Man he could be a very big addition to this defense.

Some transfers dont work out because if work ethic and attitude. They leave thier first school, but the same problems and issues follow.

Dont know what happened with Wallace at Oregon, but he has been killing it so far at UNT. Wintrich and staff do not give out compliments easily, and he has nothing but praise for Wallace. He will be a great replacement at one of the linebacker spots and looks like he will be one of the leaders next season.

• Upvote 3

Man, you gotta love the production on the HS level of this recruiting class. You never know how it will translate, but I can't remember a class with more offensive production at the high school level.

Oh, and I hope Wilson commits this weekend.

Yep, & if we can land Washington, his accomplishments on the defensive side are quite remarkable.

• Upvote 1

Some transfers dont work out because if work ethic and attitude. They leave thier first school, but the same problems and issues follow.

Dont know what happened with Wallace at Oregon, but he has been killing it so far at UNT. Wintrich and staff do not give out compliments easily, and he has nothing but praise for Wallace. He will be a great replacement at one of the linebacker spots and looks like he will be one of the leaders next season.

Holy crap this! I stopped by Apogee yesterday while they were running through their offseason workouts. Wintrich and his staff were drilling the eff out of them. They don't care it's offseason. They were working their arses off. And the players loved it and were responding.

• Upvote 3

I hadn't paid to much attention to Wallace. My dad lives in Eugene, OR. and follows the Duck's and Oregon St. pretty well since he's retired. I'll ask my dad for a little imput about Wallace.

I wouldn't worry about Wallace as a transfer. Oregon's weather and culture are much different than TX. Eugene only has about 3 to 5 months out of the year are sunny and rest of the year is overcast and rainy. Much like Seattle, WA.

It's a lot different living in Texas!!! Just thing Mr. Wallace might be Homesick for some decent weather!!!!

I wouldn't worry about Wallace as a transfer. Oregon's weather and culture are much different than TX. Eugene only has about 3 to 5 months out of the year are sunny and rest of the year is overcast and rainy. Much like Seattle, WA.

It's a lot different living in Texas!!! Just thing Mr. Wallace might be Homesick for some decent weather!!!!

Not an invalid point. If you are not used to it, the cloudy/rainy wather can bring you down mentally. We all know the feeling of that first sunny day after a week of clouds or inclemet weather.