Breaking news -- UNT lands QB Caleb Chumley

Brett Vito

Why cant we move the kicker from Oklahoma to a gray shirt and make room for this big fella? Zack Paul did a fantastic job this year and he will be a junior next year so if Trevor decides to leave its not exactly that we would be hurting in the kicking game.

I understand AWESOME kickers are hard to come by, but we would have 2 years to find one.

Man, I hate this argument. Has anyone else but me noticed how many D1 schools, especially P5 ones, have been starting freshman at skill positions the last two years and it working out spectacularly??

What argument? I hate the argument that you should start an older guy over a freshmen because he might have growing pains. That's a bad argument to me, especially with the way young guys have been performing at qb, as you said. You play the guy who can give you the better chance of winning. Maybe the young guy throws an extra pick here and there, but if he leads you to more points and scoring drives then the other guy was the one turning the ball over more in reality (on downs).

That wasn't the argument that CBL was making. He was saying tap the brakes on anointing Dajon the starter for the next three years who will take us to new heights as a program. Not that he can't be successful as a redshirt freshman (assuming he gets the hardship waiver/medical redshirt like it seems he will). FWIW, I think Dajon has that potential as well. But I'm in the boat with CBL that I need to see him win the job first and show something outside of garbage time.

Why cant we move the kicker from Oklahoma to a gray shirt and make room for this big fella? Zack Paul did a fantastic job this year and he will be a junior next year so if Trevor decides to leave its not exactly that we would be hurting in the kicking game.

I understand AWESOME kickers are hard to come by, but we would have 2 years to find one.

I've said this ad nauseum, but I think blueshirting Trevor Moore would be a great way to solve this problem. Again, a blueshirt is when you bring a player in as a walkon at the beginning of fall camp and you put him on scholarship before school starts, so he never actually pays any tuition. The player then counts towards the next year's recruiting class (2015 in this case). The catch is that the player cannot have been recruited (been on an official visit to the school where he is blueshirting or hosted the coaches on an in-home visit).

To my knowledge Trevor Moore is our only commit who has not been on an official visit. I could be wrong. We have room on our roster to do this. The hiccup we are having is the 25 player max per class, not the 85 total scholarship player hard cap. We have plenty of room in the 85 player hard cap, not so much the 25 player limit.

• Upvote 2

Man, I hate this argument. Has anyone else but me noticed how many D1 schools, especially P5 ones, have been starting freshman at skill positions the last two years and it working out spectacularly??

I'm of two minds on this sub-segment of the discussion. On one hand, yeah, go for whoever has the skills, if they're ready. But the part I'd be cautious about is if their conditioning doesn't yet match their skill set. If they are more easily winded or aren't as strong/limber as they would be with a year of physical training and conditioning, you could be looking at somebody who looks great at the start of the season but is easily injured. And you'd hate to lose part of a season, or even the rest of their playing career, because you didn't have them physically prepared enough to withstand the hits, especially when fatigued.

So whether you're looking at a QB like Manziel or really any other position, if they're physically ready after just one summer/fall and maybe a spring camp, then by all means go for it. But this is, to me, the biggest reason for last season's success: the guys weren't injury-prone because they had achieved a level of training, physically, that matched their skills and talents. So by all means, if they're already physically tough, limber, and high in stamina, give them the nod to jump in. But if not, a couple of extra scores or even wins won't be worth it in the long run if you lose half a dozen of these guys and the wins stop coming.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I'm certain of it as well. He's awesome. That's why I assume he'll evaluate everybody (especially newbies) before the start of the season and if he feels some froshes need another year to be killer, then unless there's a huge need for them to fill in a position gap then those are the ones most likely to redshirt. As much as anybody itches to compete in their sport of choice, if you know the program is going to be good for you, then the excitement of unveiling the beast a year later could be worth it, no matter how excited you are about wanting to play right away.

I've said this ad nauseum, but I think blueshirting Trevor Moore would be a great way to solve this problem. Again, a blueshirt is when you bring a player in as a walkon at the beginning of fall camp and you put him on scholarship before school starts, so he never actually pays any tuition. The player then counts towards the next year's recruiting class (2015 in this case). The catch is that the player cannot have been recruited (been on an official visit to the school where he is blueshirting or hosted the coaches on an in-home visit).

To my knowledge Trevor Moore is our only commit who has not been on an official visit. I could be wrong. We have room on our roster to do this. The hiccup we are having is the 25 player max per class, not the 85 total scholarship player hard cap. We have plenty of room in the 85 player hard cap, not so much the 25 player limit.

I was thinking a Blue Shirt was when the coach tells you he's gonna let you play... then at the very last second... he doesn't, and you have a hard time walking back to the bench. No?

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If you were to travel back in time even 3 or 4 years to tell yourself this class would be this good at UNT, yourself from back then would probably assume yourself from now was a lying, evil impostor clone/robot and might shoot you. So please, for your own sake, for whoever on this board has a time machine, don't do it!